The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

hcubell

Agreed.

I am a Hasselblad fan and can't wait to receive my X1D. My comments were more related to the fact that there is something significant holding up shipping this new product (whatever it is, it is...not meant to be sinister).

Having lived in the Private Equity world for many years, this situation is not uncommon. The costs of R&D for this new camera and the tooling for subcontractors can all contribute to delays. Additionally, I'm sure that the supply chain for this product has many constituents but the point is, they should have announced this as a new product with no forecast of a delivery timeframe. Many people sold existing camera kits in preparation for an early September delivery and would just like to know when pre-orders are going to be filled.

BTW, why would legitimate non-pro customers (who express their frustrations about these delays) be considered "haters"? If anything, this product was targeted specifically at people like me!
Sorry if it appeared that way, but I did not mean to imply that you were one of the haters. I understand the frustration with the delays. My point was that I think Hasselblad is better off dealing with complaints about shipping delays than complaints about the way the X1D actually performs in the wild.
The haters know who they are.

ddanois

Sorry if it appeared that way, but I did not mean to imply that you were one of the haters. I understand the frustration with the delays. My point was that I think Hasselblad is better off dealing with complaints about shipping delays than complaints about the way the X1D actually performs in the wild.
The haters know who they are.
No offense taken. I completely agree with you.

Godfrey

It's occasionally comforting to remember that Pentax announced the digital 645 four or five years before it actually surfaced as a product.

G

Here we go again...

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hasselblad-x1d-shipment-postponed-til-november/

I suppose the good news is that we will now have the X1d and the Fuji GFX around at nearly the same time.

Can only imagine that they are encountering serious production issues. If it were just a function of demand, there would be small batches trickling out to customers.
Shame B&H keeps confusing people by making up dates which the Internet then thinks are actually coming from Hasselblad.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Delays like this could also mean the are adding something to the system that was not announced. Like a feature or function maybe like focus peaking or some other feature that maybe missing.

jrp

or it could just be debugging the software, or ramping up the production line, or not having enough lenses ready or ...

It will take a few years for the system to mature. A week or two's delay in getting the first bodies out may be a good thing, if it gets some of the worst initial bugs out of the system.

Jan

Last time I know Neill is living in Malaysia.
Perhaps time to drop him a note, I contacted the Hasselblad importer here but to no avail.

From a LuLa thread:

So they are beginning to trickle out (to the UK and Australia). Good luck to Erik and Tim.

Joe

Fran

Hello!! I had one this week in my hands.. and.. sorry..i think that this is the only word for this.. visor sucks. My Casio Calculator gives better images than it..:scry::scry:

IMG_5764.jpg

Fran

the X1d EVF remember me the first Nokias with camera. It have a awesome lag when you move it..
Try it before buy..

Godfrey

the X1d EVF remember me the first Nokias with camera. It have a awesome lag when you move it..
Try it before buy..
I didn't see anything like that at all.

It could happen, though, in extremely low light levels when the camera is slowing down the refresh to accommodate keeping the LCD bright. The same thing will happen with ANY EVF in low enough light. It's that or let the viewfinder go dark.

G

Fran

I didn't see anything like that at all.

It could happen, though, in extremely low light levels when the camera is slowing down the refresh to accommodate keeping the LCD bright. The same thing will happen with ANY EVF in low enough light. It's that or let the viewfinder go dark.

G
Well, i have to say that i ask to the vendor if it was normal and he says to me that it probably was casued because the low batery level.. .. .. i dont think so

The scenario of the test was normal, no dramatic highlights or shadows. I have a sony a7 and well.. if i post this.. you know..?

Seems that the oldies have some problems with fresh opinions …:thumbdown:

Welcome FRAN to the forum, your opinions are welcome …:thumbup:

To the topic of EVF: I have to admit that I have not had the chance to look through the X1D EVF. Where I live, I simply have no access to Hassis. There seem to be a lot of very, very different opinions about the EVF experience. I am curious though to see how this topic (EVF in MF) is going in the near future on a more general level.

On the risk to be insulted as Leica fanboy, I would like to cite some opinions of Leica people on the issue: David Farkas (Leica dealer Miami) personal impression of the X1D during his visit at Photokina (Leica forum) and some excerpts from an interview with Leica Staff which you can find on Leica rumor site.

David Farkas: "The X1D? I tried one at the Hasselblad booth at Photokina. It was disappointing. Low quality EVF with washed out and pixelated view ...."

and

Stefan Schulz (Leica Global Director Business Unit Professional): For the moment, just like what we already said. You need to take a quick look at the viewfinder. Current medium format cameras have slow frame rates, so after you take a picture, you see nothing. S system is showing instant image. As long as there is no technology for medium format available that gives instant images like this, we will not change."

Dr. Andreas Kauffman (Leica Board Chairman): "I think. Usually I don’t talk about competitors, but we don't completely see them (Hasselblad and Fuji mirrorless) as competitors. When you saw the press release regarding Hasselblad mirrorless, and you read specs for the viewfinder. It is small. My personal opinion is that you can’t do it in medium format with viewfinder with 2 point whatever. To me, it is bad quality."

You may not be interested in opinions of Leica Staff or Leica dealers on competition products, but I think their business philosophy is interesting. What they are basically saying is, that at the moment it is not possible to put a satisfying EFV in a MF camera (whatever "satisfying" means for you). And one has to remember that Leica, at this point of time, has the best FF EVF at hand (in their Leica SL).

tashley

Subscriber Member
Seems that the oldies have some problems with fresh opinions …:thumbdown:

Welcome FRAN to the forum, your opinions are welcome …:thumbup:

To the topic of EVF: I have to admit that I have not had the chance to look through the X1D EVF. Where I live, I simply have no access to Hassis. There seem to be a lot of very, very different opinions about the EVF experience. I am curious though to see how this topic (EVF in MF) is going in the near future on a more general level.

On the risk to be insulted as Leica fanboy, I would like to cite some opinions of Leica people on the issue: David Farkas (Leica dealer Miami) personal impression of the X1D during his visit at Photokina (Leica forum) and some excerpts from an interview with Leica Staff which you can find on Leica rumor site.

David Farkas: "The X1D? I tried one at the Hasselblad booth at Photokina. It was disappointing. Low quality EVF with washed out and pixelated view ...."

and

Stefan Schulz (Leica Global Director Business Unit Professional): For the moment, just like what we already said. You need to take a quick look at the viewfinder. Current medium format cameras have slow frame rates, so after you take a picture, you see nothing. S system is showing instant image. As long as there is no technology for medium format available that gives instant images like this, we will not change."

Dr. Andreas Kauffman (Leica Board Chairman): "I think. Usually I don’t talk about competitors, but we don't completely see them (Hasselblad and Fuji mirrorless) as competitors. When you saw the press release regarding Hasselblad mirrorless, and you read specs for the viewfinder. It is small. My personal opinion is that you can’t do it in medium format with viewfinder with 2 point whatever. To me, it is bad quality."

You may not be interested in opinions of Leica Staff or Leica dealers on competition products, but I think their business philosophy is interesting. What they are basically saying is, that at the moment it is not possible to put a satisfying EFV in a MF camera. And one has to remember that Leica, at this point of time, has the best FF EVF at hand (in their Leica SL).
And the S system, which I had for a while, is likely to take a big hit from the x1d if it meets expectations. Admittedly Ming Thein is a Hassy ambassador, but he said in his first impressions of an early FW version
"The EVF. It’s good enough – no, not as good as the Leica SL, but I honestly don’t see that much of a difference between this and my Leica Q in terms of detail, either. Refresh rate is a little bit lower, but comparable to the M4/3 cameras in the normal speed setting, significantly faster than the H6’s live view, and another planet from the H5’s live view. It needs contrast and brightness adjustment, but that’s coming in future firmware."

We'll see.