The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

vjbelle

Derek, my XCD 45mm and 90mm lenses arrive tomorrow from B&H. :clap:

Pedro, I'll post some images soon too...
...of the lenses (taken with an a7RII).
Thanks in advance for any images you share with us. We're on Page 27 of this thread with no images yet from GetDPI members.

Joe
Joe..... I have no skin in this game but if it were me and I had lenses and no camera to test them with I would be on the phone with B&H asking them to extend their return policy to 30 days from the date I received the BODY so that I could at least test the lenses. The guys at B&H are no dummies and should understand this. If not.... then I would consider sending the lenses back.... I know that hurts but a bad lens would even hurt more. Just my 2c....

Victor

tashley

Subscriber Member
You completely misunderstood my points. Not surprising, since you have an axe to grind here. As for whether a "real professional" would find the Fuji GFX "far more appealing" than the X1D, that's ridiculous. Like so many others with an axe to grind, you think your needs are everyone else's needs. Perhaps you don't know that many professionals need leaf shutter lenses. The X1D has them now; the Fuji does not. Fuji says they are working on a leaf shutter solution? If you show me a "professional" who buys into a camera system in reliance upon that kind of statement, I will show you a fool.
Sage words - and the delivery is well pitched! ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Joe..... I have no skin in this game but if it were me and I had lenses and no camera to test them with I would be on the phone with B&H asking them to extend their return policy to 30 days from the date I received the BODY so that I could at least test the lenses. The guys at B&H are no dummies and should understand this. If not.... then I would consider sending the lenses back.... I know that hurts but a bad lens would even hurt more. Just my 2c....

Victor
Or call them close to the 30 day return and moan about no body to test them with to be sure. I doubt their maybe a issue but you still have Hassy to answer to this.

I'm looking forward to seeing this on the streets. I'm not in line to get one but nice to know it's capabilities with it. I'm not even for a second worried about its output. I tested the Credo 50 and really like this sensor.

PeterA

Even with pre-production copies of the camera what is clear is that the sensor performs as well in this body as it does in other bodies.

What is also obvious to me after getting to play with one a month ago is that the EVF is something that needs to be worked around and the firmware needs a fair bit of work. You get jumpy view as refresh is low and you also get a long blackout after each shot - maybe as long as a second.

Of course these comments might be soley related to the example I saw- and other examples are better or worse. As things stand right now - there is no doubt that the EVF implementation needs a lot of work for those who care about such things.

Of course a leaf shutter system has particular advantages when it comes to IQ and flash use - as for lack of articulating LCD's - well .....not a deal breaker for me thats for sure.

CSP

not called for - not helpful - not the tone we expect of our members.
Please enjoy your time out
Thanks
-bob

Last edited by a moderator:

fotografz

A round of "Chill Pills" to all GetDpi friends ... on me!

This is a pretty cool camera IMO.

Whether it is a pro kit depends on the pro I suppose. Not all professional needs are the same.

Keep in mind this is MF we're talking about ... IF 35mm format is good enough then it simply is, and there is no reason to discuss it further.

Personally, MF leaf shutter cameras are my preference, and always have been one reason to use MF. Beyond outdoor work for obvious reasons, I also use them in studio and indoors all the time. While flash duration often suffices in studio, there are times when there is some ambient that faster sync speeds eliminates ... plus many indoor locations also have some sort of crappy ambient backgrounds that I can control ... or windows that burn out due to the difference in exposure from the indoor exposure. 1/125th sync can be an issue in more cases than one may suspect.

That Hasselblad has increased the top shutter speed to 1/2000 is very helpful even when shooting without lights since the previous top speed was 1/800. Now the penalty is only 1 stop compared to a focal plane MF camera. The gain is no mirror slap, no shutter vibrations, and much better control of strobe exposure.

As an art director shooting with a zillion pros in past, very few didn't work with a leaf-shutter kit when using MF or view cameras with movements ... Hasselblad V, Mamiya RZProII, Phase One with LS lenses, Rollie, and every view camera/lens combo made.

What will make it Professional or not is a more complete system eventually, and who's hands it is in ... not some internet chatter or vitriol.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

For me I would still need a Sony type AF kit but that goes with any MF kit I would buy as it did with Leica Ms but I also could shrink my Sony kit to maybe just a 24-70 and 85 since those two lenses plus a long zoom rental I could get by very easily. So this would be a additional kit that could still do a lot of real work for me. But this comes down to getting diverse jobs and not single type work all the time. I could certainly see using this with the three current lenses as long as I can be tethered when needed and be able to use my current flash systems which I can just by switching to a Nikon trigger ( 50 dollars ) and add a Nikon capable portable flash which let's say 200 dollars so for 250 I would be all set, no big deal. One helpful tool is the H adapter as well as that would stretch the lens capability.

I think the trick here is realizing you need 2 systems and not trying to get this into one system to do it all, as right now that maybe cause some limitations. I know myself I always tried to get it too one and that's been very difficult to do in MF. But if I settle in on two systems even minimal on the 35 stuff I can get by okay and many others as well. Leaf shutter does not have much bearing on me anymore with all the high end HSS gear available today, so not as important as it was in the past when we did not have these high output options today. That's a big bonus now. I just don't want to commit right now and see how far Hassy wants to take it for one and how capable it is in the field, so I hope to see some real validity for myself to jump in. I've been here before so I want to take it slow. The Fuji maybe more capable but I like this style better plus I can use
Phocus. I'm excited it's coming and for the industry a nice path. Just have to see if it works for me as we all do. I think a good thing to really put in your head is this is the very first start of MF mirrorless so a lot more to come down the pike. I also think very much so that Hassy sees this as their saving grace to get back to real cameras and they need a big success story, so this will immediately be a mandatory success that they have to do and that's a good thing as the energy to do that will be very high for their success. They have investors to answer to and that will drive them.

MrSmith

What will make it Professional or not is a more complete system eventually, and who's hands it is in ... not some internet chatter or vitriol.
Indeed. Even the complete system isn’t a requisite. rental houses stocking it (they will as they already do H) and people paying the bills with it’s output will make it a professional camera just like my Sony.

*i’m not trying to suggest you don’t need mirrorlessMFD and a smaller sensor is as effective, that’s all down to user preference plus more choice is a good thing.

i look forward to the brick walls, sunsets and cat pics with relish. :banghead:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Even with pre-production copies of the camera what is clear is that the sensor performs as well in this body as it does in other bodies.

What is also obvious to me after getting to play with one a month ago is that the EVF is something that needs to be worked around and the firmware needs a fair bit of work. You get jumpy view as refresh is low and you also get a long blackout after each shot - maybe as long as a second.

Of course these comments might be soley related to the example I saw- and other examples are better or worse. As things stand right now - there is no doubt that the EVF implementation needs a lot of work for those who care about such things.

Of course a leaf shutter system has particular advantages when it comes to IQ and flash use - as for lack of articulating LCD's - well .....not a deal breaker for me thats for sure.
Peter, I only tried the EVF indoors but I thought it was OK - though I am, I suspect, particularly tolerant of EVFs in general because I have no expectation that they will look exactly like the real world. The blackout period might just have something to do with the speed of the cards Hassy have put in the demonstrators - the one in the X1D I tried was glacial...

DougDolde

Well, Hasselblad's late delivery may be frustrating to some (not me I didn't order one) but the early announcement certainly saved a LOT of people from dumping money into the bottomless pit called Phase One

kscott

Well, Hasselblad's late delivery may be frustrating to some (not me I didn't order one) but the early announcement certainly saved a LOT of people from dumping money into the bottomless pit called Phase One
If I were just getting into medium format and considering a 50mp Phase One system, I totally agree with you that the announcement of the X1D (and the Fujifilm GFX) would stop me in my tracks, at least until Hasselblad started shipping units so that someone could do the inevitable side-by-side comparisons with real images, etc. That said, even with the same sensor, if you have particular needs, e.g., you do macro photography, or you have a technical camera with which you'd like to share a back with an XF body, etc., the Phase One still might be the right choice even at a much higher price than the X1D.

If you already had a big Phase One lens investment, IMO, the decision starts to get murkier. And if you were in the market for a higher-resolution sensor, less clear still.

hcubell

If I were just getting into medium format and considering a 50mp Phase One system, I totally agree with you that the announcement of the X1D (and the Fujifilm GFX) would stop me in my tracks, at least until Hasselblad started shipping units so that someone could do the inevitable side-by-side comparisons with real images, etc. That said, even with the same sensor, if you have particular needs, e.g., you do macro photography, or you have a technical camera with which you'd like to share a back with an XF body, etc., the Phase One still might be the right choice even at a much higher price than the X1D.

If you already had a big Phase One lens investment, IMO, the decision starts to get murkier. And if you were in the market for a higher-resolution sensor, less clear still.
I fully agree with you. There are a lot of choices here, and the only way to evaluate them is to get them into your hands and try them side by side and make prints in the sizes you print. There are Sony A7RIIs with 42 MP, Hassy X1Ds and Fuji GFXs with bigger sensors but "only" 50 MP, relatively inexpensive used IQ180 backs with 80 MP, and very expensive Phase and Hassy 100 MP systems. It was only what, less than a year ago, that the IQ180 was the pinnacle of medium format digital.

Nick-T

every camera a professional uses is a professional camera but
hasselblad does not need to worry that they will sell too much of the x1d to real professionals anyway, the fuji is far more appealing for this party
I am at a loss to understand the antipathy some people express towards Hasselblad. Are you saying I'm not a real professional because I'm getting an X1D? I have been shooting full-time for 25 years but I'm not a real professional?

As Guy says many professionals (and amateurs too) need more than one camera system, this has always been the case. A couple of weeks ago I shot in a factory, there was very little lighting, very little time and no tripods allowed. That was a job for the D810 and auto ISO (up to 5000 in some places).

Back in the studio yesterday I was shooting as usual with the H6d50 (and on one day with the H4D40 as well since client wanted the food shot 3/4 and top down at more or less the same time).

Next week I am shooting some slo-mo food, I'll use my Ursa mini 4k.

Next month I'll be in Miami and hopefully will have my X1D to use.

I buy cameras that I think will work for me and I think every photographer should do the same.

What I don't do is seek out threads on cameras that I don't own and don't intend owning and spend time telling everyone how bad they are, really what's that all about?

/rant

Christopher

Again, I think we all heard you. Why do you have to repeat it again and again?
If it's to expensive for you go another route...

Yes the upgrade is expensive, however I still have my IQ180 and shoot it next to my iq3100 and the difference is quite impressive. Not only resolution but all the features together make a great product. So great i am thinking about upgrading my IQ180 to a second IQ3100.

No the IQ1100 for me is useless. However, for some it might work as well.

peterm1

For me I would still need a Sony type AF kit but that goes with any MF kit I would buy as it did with Leica Ms but I also could shrink my Sony kit to maybe just a 24-70 and 85 since those two lenses plus a long zoom rental I could get by very easily. So this would be a additional kit that could still do a lot of real work for me. But this comes down to getting diverse jobs and not single type work all the time. I could certainly see using this with the three current lenses as long as I can be tethered when needed and be able to use my current flash systems which I can just by switching to a Nikon trigger ( 50 dollars ) and add a Nikon capable portable flash which let's say 200 dollars so for 250 I would be all set, no big deal. One helpful tool is the H adapter as well as that would stretch the lens capability.

I think the trick here is realizing you need 2 systems and not trying to get this into one system to do it all, as right now that maybe cause some limitations.

Guy, I totally agree. I have the Leica Q (which I love) and the A7RII with the Voigtlander 10mm, Batis 18mm, 24-70GM and 70-200 f/4 (which I don't like using but it is a useful and flexible system). I have the X1D on order with the three lenses and plan to use it most of the time, but it has its limitations. I will have to sell either the Q or the A7RII to help fund the X1D, and I am not sure what to do because I love using the Q, but of course it's limited to 28mm. I also think I will love using the X1D - I played with it last week at Photo Plus Expo. I sell a lot of larger size prints and clients are often asking how large I can print, so I have a feeling the Q will need to go...

Guy Mancuso

Yea the Q would be the first thing to go if it was me in this situation. My thinking is keep my A7r II or even downgrade it but it's the same money as my body has so may just keep it. Probably keep my 12,24-70 and 85 GM but I still need to find a lot of money so going to be tough. I'm thinking more like March or so. I'm really in no hurry if I do pull the trigger on it. Plus if I wait that long I will have a better roadmap on it.

Guy Mancuso

I am at a loss to understand the antipathy some people express towards Hasselblad. Are you saying I'm not a real professional because I'm getting an X1D? I have been shooting full-time for 25 years but I'm not a real professional?

As Guy says many professionals (and amateurs too) need more than one camera system, this has always been the case. A couple of weeks ago I shot in a factory, there was very little lighting, very little time and no tripods allowed. That was a job for the D810 and auto ISO (up to 5000 in some places).

Back in the studio yesterday I was shooting as usual with the H6d50 (and on one day with the H4D40 as well since client wanted the food shot 3/4 and top down at more or less the same time).

Next week I am shooting some slo-mo food, I'll use my Ursa mini 4k.

Next month I'll be in Miami and hopefully will have my X1D to use.

I buy cameras that I think will work for me and I think every photographer should do the same.

What I don't do is seek out threads on cameras that I don't own and don't intend owning and spend time telling everyone how bad they are, really what's that all about?

/rant

Nick you sound a lot like me when it comes to diversity of gigs and subjects which is really awesome in a way BUT it makes your choices of systems a nightmare to figure out what you need next. If we shot food for instance day in and day out than picking a systems is a easy task. Folks like us are all over the place with needs. This system looks great and we all know it will expand as all new systems do. Now as far as Labels for cameras if I'm getting paid its a Pro camera that's my meal ticket so if it's good enough for my client be it a IPhone or 80 k worth of MF gear and the are paying my freight well I'm the Pro so whatever is in my hands qualifies. Lol

Now let me qualify myself here too I came from 5 Phase backs and I never ever said a bad thing about Hassy as I always respected them in the industry and the products the make. I made hay with Hassy film cameras so I'm thrilled to see them going in a direction that makes real sense now. My only bitch with Hassy was trying to get demos to test for reviews here. Maybe put in a good word in for me, I would love to test this.

Nick-T

If we shot food for instance day in and day out than picking a systems is a easy task.
Funny you should say that...

https://www.instagram.com/nicktnz/

That's exactly what I do, food in studio is probably about 90% of the business.
The occasional portrait and sometimes a food client will ask me to shoot their factory (over my protests) and I'm doing more and more moving stuff. I'm just a bit of a boy scout and like to be prepared for anything.