The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

hcubell

To increase the prices on XCD lenses BEFORE Hasselblad has fulfilled all the backorders for the X1D camera is unconscionable. The decision to increase prices so dramatically is absolutely backwards to market norms. With the tremendous volume of orders for the camera, the lens manufacturer would have the benefit of large numbers of orders for lenses that would increase the economies of scale. The price should have dropped rather than increased or at least stayed the same. These kind of decisions harken back to the "bad old days" of the Lunar. We all want Hasselblad to be healthy and vital, but this decision smacks of gouging. I was considering the new 120 Macro, but now I will forgo that and use my HC and HCD lenses. That even gives rise to the question, "Where is the H to X adapter?" So, we raise the prices of lenses before there is even a hint of delivery time for the lens converter. I'm left shaking my head as to what Hasselblad is thinking. I just do not know!

Greg
I agree, Greg. Bad PR move to do a price increase so quickly. My guess is that they underpriced the lenses to make the entry into the system more attractive and build a user base. Hasselblad is also relying upon a third party to build the lenses so there are two distinct companies looking for their own share of profits on the same lenses. Nikon, Canon and Fuji make their own lenses.

rmatthews

To increase the prices on XCD lenses BEFORE Hasselblad has fulfilled all the backorders for the X1D camera is unconscionable. The decision to increase prices so dramatically is absolutely backwards to market norms. With the tremendous volume of orders for the camera, the lens manufacturer would have the benefit of large numbers of orders for lenses that would increase the economies of scale. The price should have dropped rather than increased or at least stayed the same. These kind of decisions harken back to the "bad old days" of the Lunar. We all want Hasselblad to be healthy and vital, but this decision smacks of gouging. I was considering the new 120 Macro, but now I will forgo that and use my HC and HCD lenses. That even gives rise to the question, "Where is the H to X adapter?" So, we raise the prices of lenses before there is even a hint of delivery time for the lens converter. I'm left shaking my head as to what Hasselblad is thinking. I just do not know!

Greg
Don't think it is abnormal. Leica have just increased the price of the M10 and still have thousands of people waiting for their orders

tcdeveau

Greg
As the X1D has been in stock in the US (it was when I ordered mine week before last), I think they've caught up on backorders for the silver version at least. I was a little dismayed at the decision because the price increase happened the same week I ordered my X1D, but I don't think it's that big a deal. I imagine they either priced the lenses at a point to get ppl into the system while intending to increase them over time, or underestimated the cost of production/etc and/or had unforeseen problems requiring a price increase. Who knows. It's a little hard to essentially accuse them of gouging without knowing all of the details. Is it a great move for consumers? Should we be happy about it? Of course not, but I don't think it's abnormal. It is what it is.

It's also not terribly surprising considering the high price point of the other lenses. I was under the impression with the 45mm and 90mm at launch that they be shooting for $3-3.5kish price points with the lenses. Since launch, the 30mm came in at $4k USD, and the price for the 120mm I've seen so far is $4.5k USD, so it looks like I'm going to have to re-adjust my expectations when it comes to price points of the lenses across the whole system. To me that is a bigger deal than raising the price of only the 45mm and 90mm. I am really going to want the 35-75mm zoom as it will be perfect for my shooting style, but I'm pretty worried about where the price of that one may come in when it's launched considering where the 30mm and 120mm landed.

Regarding the 45mm and 90mm, if the price increases bother/affect someone that much, then just buy the lenses used. Sure it may require a bit of patience, but seeing used/demo 45mm's and 90mm's isn't uncommon. I bought my XCD 45mm used from BH in 10/10 condition and saved quite a bit of money....same goes for my XCD 90mm (in 9/10 condition) which is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I will say that Hasselblad needs to get on top of accessory delivery for the X1D. To have a camera that's been shipping for 4-5 months and not have any spare batteries in stock (in the US at least) is it a little ridiculous and very frustrating. Granted battery life on the X1D is better than I expected, we all still need spares. To not have an expected delivery time of the XH adapter is also very frustrating. My only hope is that in view of the Fuji GFX-H adapter they decided to redesign the current XH adapter and forgo the current iteration in favor of one with a tripod collar. They also still may be having difficultly getting AF to work well/reliably/etc on the adapter, but at think at this point, ppl would just be happy to have the adapter in hand even if it meant MF only.
-Todd

msadat

i dont think fuji will upgrade the evf rather the next version of the gfx will have the new improved version

Thanks, Joe. If the issue is one of price, I wonder if the Fuji GFX would be upgradeable to incorporate the 4.41 MP EVF as the viewfinder on the GFX is removable.

BANKER1

As the X1D has been in stock in the US (it was when I ordered mine week before last), I think they've caught up on backorders for the silver version at least. I was a little dismayed at the decision because the price increase happened the same week I ordered my X1D, but I don't think it's that big a deal. I imagine they either priced the lenses at a point to get ppl into the system while intending to increase them over time, or underestimated the cost of production/etc and/or had unforeseen problems requiring a price increase. Who knows. It's a little hard to essentially accuse them of gouging without knowing all of the details. Is it a great move for consumers? Should we be happy about it? Of course not, but I don't think it's abnormal. It is what it is.

It's also not terribly surprising considering the high price point of the other lenses. I was under the impression with the 45mm and 90mm at launch that they be shooting for $3-3.5kish price points with the lenses. Since launch, the 30mm came in at $4k USD, and the price for the 120mm I've seen so far is $4.5k USD, so it looks like I'm going to have to re-adjust my expectations when it comes to price points of the lenses across the whole system. To me that is a bigger deal than raising the price of only the 45mm and 90mm. I am really going to want the 35-75mm zoom as it will be perfect for my shooting style, but I'm pretty worried about where the price of that one may come in when it's launched considering where the 30mm and 120mm landed.

Regarding the 45mm and 90mm, if the price increases bother/affect someone that much, then just buy the lenses used. Sure it may require a bit of patience, but seeing used/demo 45mm's and 90mm's isn't uncommon. I bought my XCD 45mm used from BH in 10/10 condition and saved quite a bit of money....same goes for my XCD 90mm (in 9/10 condition) which is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I will say that Hasselblad needs to get on top of accessory delivery for the X1D. To have a camera that's been shipping for 4-5 months and not have any spare batteries in stock (in the US at least) is it a little ridiculous and very frustrating. Granted battery life on the X1D is better than I expected, we all still need spares. To not have an expected delivery time of the XH adapter is also very frustrating. My only hope is that in view of the Fuji GFX-H adapter they decided to redesign the current XH adapter and forgo the current iteration in favor of one with a tripod collar. They also still may be having difficultly getting AF to work well/reliably/etc on the adapter, but at think at this point, ppl would just be happy to have the adapter in hand even if it meant MF only.
-Todd
Maybe, gouging was a little strong. But, consider this. A lot of people ordered the camera based on the prices quoted on the first two lenses announced. It would not be out of order to envision that this category of lenses from Hasselblad would fall into line with those prices. So, we do not know how many people ordered the camera on that basis. Now that Hasselblad has essentially caught up with the back orders, purchasers of the X1D find themselves facing prices that they did not expect and are disappointed to learn that they may not be able to afford the lenses they need. And, shouldn't the economies of scale come into play if we believe the number of orders Hasselblad has implied? For me, the timing of the price increases leaves me a little skeptical and disappointed. Hasselblad hit a home run with this camera, but their painfully slow delivery delays and timing of price increases takes a little gloss off the whole affair.

cabbage

Don't think it is abnormal. Leica have just increased the price of the M10 and still have thousands of people waiting for their orders
I would still think it is abnormal to raise prices before the backorders are fulfilled. I can't think of another manufacturer that raises the price before backorders are fulfilled besides Leica on the M10? I really wonder why Leica has raised the price besides they can. There is evidence they are having misaligned patches (horizontal) when focusing through the VF with *lux lenses. No issues when using the EVF. Just a weird time to do a price increase. It is always easier to lower your price than raise your price.

I would also say the decision by Leica to raise prices is NOT a popular decision either. I have had one on order since they went on pre order and I am still waiting on a black M10. I decided to skip the X1D and let everyone else shake it out.