The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-60 vs IQ180 on H1 (objective pros/cons?)

TTLKurtis

I know it's frowned upon to compare systems on subjective terms of image quality and tonality etc but I would love some opinions on these options grounded in observable facts and practical differences.

I currently own an H1, 100mm 2.2, 80mm 2.8 and film backs.

I have been considering either an H4D-60 or an IQ180 for My H1. Having 'full frame' is important to me, though no 6x4.5cm MFDB exists to my knowledge. Obvious differences are 60mp vs 80mp (either is plenty), Phocus vs Capture One (no experience with former, a little with the latter), H4 TrueFocus vs none, the quality of the IQ screen by comparison... Batteries? Now what are some other factors or features I should be weighing?

Another potential consideration is sticking with film and just buying a Frontier or Noritsu or Flextight scanner, which would be handy for scanning my xpan work as well, but I have a feeling MFDB may be the wiser choice and less headache then dev and scan and neg storage plus digital storage.

Curious for some real world experiences. Thanks!

jerome_m

Other factors that came to mind in no particular order:
-Phase One and Hasselblad have different colours, so maybe you want to try that
-with the H4D-60, you have an integrated camera with one battery
-I don't think you get the same level of lens correction on C1 and H lenses than on Phocus (not sure)
-not only the H4 has true focus, but the focus is more accurate than on your H1.

BTW: the frame size of your H1 is not 6x4.5cm either. Take a ruler and measure one of your negatives to find out...

TTLKurtis

BTW: the frame size of your H1 is not 6x4.5cm either. Take a ruler and measure one of your negatives to find out...
Ha! A friend has always hammered into my head that even the highest-end digital backs are not as big a sensor as the size of a negative. Well, I just measured a 645 negative...

645 Film Negative: 55.56 x 41.28mm
Phase iQ180: 53.7 x 40.4mm
H4D-60: 53.7 x 40.2mm

So yeah, it's pretty dang close.

As for colors... I definitely hear about that but there's not much in the way of comparisons, unfortunately... I wish the dealers would present some comparisons to help folks decide in a similar manner than film labs have comparisons of Noritsu and Frontier scanners. I hear Hasselblad is better for skin tones, but then what does that mean for landscapes etc... and Hasselblad is doing some secret magic stuff for each lens and for colors so they only need 1 color profile.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've been following your search and questions for a while. I remember you're in San Antonio, Texas. Based on the length of your search and your posts, you are well past the point where I think you'll get much more out of online research. You need to put your hands on each of the options you think are reasonable possibilities. The difference, for instance, in the user interface is really only fully realizable when interfacing with it.

We have a road show coming to Dallas and Houston coming up. I know it's a big state and this isn't "next door" but I think it's as good as it's likely to get during your search. It's a long open house so you'd have lots of time to come, learn, shoot, review, shoot again, review again, and learn more. Speak with [email protected] who is running those two, and she can bring an IQ180 for H mount, including an H4X so you can play with and without True Focus on the IQ180 to see if it's benefits apply to your work and its limitations work within your needs. You can also work with her to arrange a rental-toward-purchase after so you can spend more than just the open house.

Phase One & DT - Dallas
Phase One & DT - Houston
We also have the same in L.A. and DC in case you are traveling there anyway.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I hear Hasselblad is better for skin tones
The majority (by virtue of length of history) of comments you'll find on Phase One skintone are about the older Kodak based sensors. You'll be hard pressed to find anything besides positive reviews of skintone from the IQ180 (which is Dalsa based) [assuming they use Capture One and the portrait profile therein].

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
-I don't think you get the same level of lens correction on C1 and H lenses than on Phocus (not sure)
My experience is that for all of the lenses which C1 supports the quality of lens correction is excellent. That said, not every single H lens is supported (which they are in Phocus), but the 28, 35, 80, 100, 120, 150, and 50-110 are all supported very well in C1.

jerome_m

My experience is that for all of the lenses which C1 supports the quality of lens correction is excellent. That said, not every single H lens is supported (which they are in Phocus), but the 28, 35, 80, 100, 120, 150, and 50-110 are all supported very well in C1.
As I said, I don't know: I can't use C1. But if not all lenses are supported, it is not "the same level", is it?

tcdeveau

Is most of your shooting tethered or untethered? If you're shooting untethered, the screen on the IQ180 is going to be a lot better than the screen on the H4D-60 and could make a big practical difference for checking focus, exposure, etc. Just another objective observation I didn't see in the thread so far. Good luck with your decision!