The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF-Love Focus Stacking, but does Hyperlocal data stay in memory?

algrove

I know from experience that Focus Stacking data is lost upon turnung off the XF.

But does the same apply to Hyperfocal settings? I ask since one article on the Phase blog seemed to suggest it memorizes Hyperfocal data by lens.

Any comment from those who have actually used the Hyperlocal Tool.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hyperfocal settings are retained by lens and with the new blue ring lenses I understand by serial number too (I only have single copies but I'm sure Doug can confirm).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hyperfocal settings are retained by lens and with the new blue ring lenses I understand by serial number too (I only have single copies but I'm sure Doug can confirm).
Correct. Multiple copies of a given blue ring lens model are stored uniquely. Mostly useful for rental houses and production studios.

MILESF

There are different methods to use for each of focus trim, focus stacking and the hyperfocal tool. Given the flexibility of the XF there may be other ways but this is what I find myself doing:

Once set, focus trim is stored in the camera and automatically applied when the lens is mounted. The setting is linked to the serial number for blue ring lenses and to the lens model for non blue ring lenses.

Focus stack settings need to be specific to each capture and will be different for different compositions. Near, far and number of images are selected via the tools menu. I set near and far manually and in each case switch the lens to auto and save the setting via the top front and rear keys. Number of shots is set via the rear dial. Capture is started via the shutter icon on the top screen or via the rear user button.

Hyperfocal is set via the tools menu for each lens and invoked via the hyperfocal icon on the AF mode screen. To establish the setting for each lens, I spent a morning with the camera tethered and then shot to find a point where infinity was acceptably sharp at 100 or 200% in C1 on the pc. I then saved the setting on the camera. I used an aperture of f5.6 or so and normally shoot at f11 if possible so this gives a bit more depth. It's worth keeping a note of the number for the hyperfocal setting of each lens as it is easy to overwrite it if I'm careless.

If you take the lens off the AF mode switches from hyperfocal back to one of the other two AF modes. This also happens if you turn the camera off and turn it back on even without a change of lens. So although the hyperfocal settings are stored you need to make sure you have hyperfocal selected via the AF mode for it to work.

Apologies if this is teaching grandmother to suck eggs and as said above there may be other ways to do all this. I haven't so far used the HDR or time lapse tools.

Hope this is helpful.

algrove

If you take the lens off the AF mode switches from hyperfocal back to one of the other two AF modes. This also happens if you turn the camera off and turn it back on even without a change of lens. So although the hyperfocal settings are stored you need to make sure you have hyperfocal selected via the AF mode for it to work.

Apologies if this is teaching grandmother to suck eggs and as said above there may be other ways to do all this. I haven't so far used the HDR or time lapse tools.

Hope this is helpful.
Miles--Thanks for your reply. The last part of your reply is a bit confusing to me, expecially the first sentence. Also the second sentence. I assume in the third sentence here you are saying that the camera stores hyperlocal distances/data that was last set for a particular lens. Correct?

MILESF

Apologies if I wasn't clear. You have to do two things to use the hyperfocal tool.

Firstly you have to work out the correct hyperfocal distance for each lens. This is done via Tools/Hyperfocal. Liveview or shot tethered helps in this regard. When you are happy you store the hyperfocal setting in the camera. It stays there until and unless you adjust it or over write it. I am not sure what happens under the hood but the value is shown on the top screen as a number which is saved in the camera. For my 35mmLS this value is 30.

Secondly and having completed Step 1 you invoke the hyperfocal tool via the Hyperfocal option in Focus Mode (on the top screen) and the lens focus is set to your stored hyperfocal distance. However if you take off the lens or turn off the camera Focus Mode switches from Hyperfocal to one of the other two Focus Mode options. The stored hyperfocal value from step 1 is not affected.

I hope this is clearer.

algrove

Apologies if I wasn't clear. You have to do two things to use the hyperfocal tool.

Firstly you have to work out the correct hyperfocal distance for each lens. This is done via Tools/Hyperfocal. Liveview or shot tethered helps in this regard. When you are happy you store the hyperfocal setting in the camera. It stays there until and unless you adjust it or over write it. I am not sure what happens under the hood but the value is shown on the top screen as a number which is saved in the camera. For my 35mmLS this value is 30.

Secondly and having completed Step 1 you invoke the hyperfocal tool via the Hyperfocal option in Focus Mode (on the top screen) and the lens focus is set to your stored hyperfocal distance. However if you take off the lens or turn off the camera Focus Mode switches from Hyperfocal to one of the other two Focus Mode options. The stored hyperfocal value from step 1 is not affected.

I hope this is clearer.
Yes, thanks so much. I'll give it a try.