The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WOW!!! Now this guy has a kit!!!

Forrest Black

I'd be surprised if that was all his gear, the LCD still had the QC sticker and protective plastic on it. More than likely loaner Phase kit for a set-up shoot.
Sharp eyes! That was pretty funny. QC sticker and plastic. Lenses don't have any wear marks. A meta-commercial really.

yaya

FWIW Simon owns most if not all the MF kit seen in the video...if you watch the other videos on his website you'll see some of his other & older kit...ALPA, P65+, DF etc. etc.

Last edited:

shlomi

This is a commercial, a pretty well made one, and not boring at all for me.

However, there are some points that stick out and make you think:
- The scope of the gear is extremely unrealistic. Maybe this guy really owns all these bodies and lenses and takes them with him to every shoot. But almost nobody else would. That is an insane number of items which are extremely expensive. Two bodies and nine lenses. I'm sorry but that doesn't represent a realistic or common scenario. Nine lenses!
- It is unusual to see the stickers on the display. It certainly makes you think about something.
- It is very optimistic to say the auto focus is just as good as any 35mm.
- It is a little bit ridicuous to say that this system is as good or better at everything than any 35mm?! I think the word for that is preposterous.

Seems the ad agency copywriter got overexcited.
The system is good, but no system is that good.

Paul2660

It's so funny about the issue of the stickers. I left mine on until it finally rubbed off, so one more vote that some folks leave the stickers/LCD cover on.

The alternative is a scratch on a the LCD, which I would rather not have.

There are plenty of aftermarket covers, but the Phase One cover that ships on the screen actually does a good job for about 6 months or so. Putting on a new on is always a pain as it never fails that one piece of dust will get between the cover and LCD, just where you don't want it.

As to the number of lenses and camera gear being carried around, lots of gear, but I am sure he has lots of assistants to help move it around.

As of the QC sticker, I still have mine on. Never got around to pulling it off.

Paul C

bab

So I read all the posts and then watched the short video, I love the Kaizen foam I'm planning on buying some and putting into my backpack.
I don't get that lust feeling when seeing the kit though probably because I don't shoot Phase but I like the way everything is all in one box. My shooting is more of a take what is needed so to have the main system in the same case with the pano gear, laptop and other converters would be like a master bag, then I would have smaller bags to break it down and hold what I needed for the shoot. (Which is what I do now in a way)

But as the title of the post says I agree it's an insane amount of gear. In a great box with a perfectly clean presentation. And I love the mood of the overcast day and edgy scenes that portray a level of toughness. I wish they would have given him a big cigar to fire up.

PS the line about the dslr crap is reaching out a bit too much unless you don't know much about camera equipment.

Dustbak

Sharp eyes! That was pretty funny. QC sticker and plastic. Lenses don't have any wear marks. A meta-commercial really.
Indeed, the lenses are totally clean as if they have not been used before. I know mine do not look that way. BTW, I have never removed the protective sticker from any of my digital back screens... I hardly use the screen so why bother removing it. But the squeeky clean lenses....