Site Sponsors

Thread: WOW!!! Now this guy has a kit!!!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!! Now this guy has a kit!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOW!!! Now this guy has a kit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    boring phase one advertising
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's indeed a commercial, but I wouldn't call it boring. Commercials are interesting in the way it shows which image a company wants to associate with their products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    boring phase one advertising
    First off I was not promoting the advertising and secondly...REALLY??!! I was just commenting on the huge kit this guy has...Thats it! NO HATERS PLEASE!
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Although not being a Fan Boy of Phase One (using H'blad) but this behind the scenes report is definitely NOT boring. To the contrary, it shows how much effort by the massive material, staff members and gadgets were put in for such a commercial shoot; obviously backed with a big budget. And thus the results are stunning IMO.

I also was thinking that this could not have achieved so well with the rather slow MF camera systems (independent whether Phase or H) in terms of AF performance, FPS etc. if the shooter would not have been on the side vehicle following the race car. So well done Phase One!

Post Thanks / Like

who cares if it's an ad? that wasn't the point of the post

that kit is crazy!

Post Thanks / Like

“there is nothing that an SLR offers that a phase one XF does not have or isn’t a lot betterer” (sic)

if that was an ad in the uk it would be banned by the ASA.
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol pretty cool kit regardless.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    “there is nothing that an SLR offers that a phase one XF does not have or isn’t a lot betterer” (sic)

if that was an ad in the uk it would be banned by the ASA.
    Why ban it when it makes it distinctly interesting?

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to see a fellow photographer doing well. I really enjoyed the video and it was fun to observe how a photographer works on a big production shoot for a premium brand, like Porsche.

He does have some serious glass. I haven't added a waist level finder to my kit, but it's on my wish list...

I wonder if he was also using a gyro on the camera while shooting camera car to car?
    Jeffery Salter
    www.jefferysalter.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would think he did .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

So, this is the camera for real men, who do not whine about the weight of the body and lenses …

And certainly, the assistant has to go to the gym regularly to lift this aluminium case ….

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siddhaarta View Post
    So, this is the camera for real men, who do not whine about the weight of the body and lenses …

And certainly, the assistant has to go to the gym regularly to lift this aluminium case ….

phase marketing wants to impress their amateur clientele so they tell the fairy story of a photographer who carries all available phase one lenses on a set when he actually uses only one or two... so in real life i bet the assistant does not have to do the gym.....

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is great! Just what I need to show She Who Must Be Obeyed that I really don't have that much kit after all.
    Bill
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    This is great! Just what I need to show She Who Must Be Obeyed that I really don't have that much kit after all.
    Bill
    Bill,

Your SWMBO must have a much higher threshold than mine .....

She heard one camera one lens and thinks it must be the ideal.

Bob
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be surprised if that was all his gear, the LCD still had the QC sticker and protective plastic on it. More than likely loaner Phase kit for a set-up shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Hassi should make a video like this ….
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I guess I should take the stickers and cleaner covers off my Phase XF and DB so others do not think it is a loaner from PO.

Post Thanks / Like

Simon Puschmann (http://simonpuschmann.com/) is a well known commercial photographer here in Germany. I believe he started his career shooting BMW commercials but now seems to cover all the major brands.
    If he's not entirely stupid he can certainly afford to own this equipment but why should that make any difference?

BTS video is fun to watch IMO, who cares if its Phase or HB or whatever? Good advertising for PO though.

Regards,
    Ralf

Post Thanks / Like

Much more impressed with his lighting and production crew. His lighting budget probably cost more than his P1 XF kit. You could shove a similar P1 XF kit in my hands but without good lighting it is going to look like shite. That is what they conveniently leave out in camera ads.
    Póg mo thóin!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    I'd be surprised if that was all his gear, the LCD still had the QC sticker and protective plastic on it. More than likely loaner Phase kit for a set-up shoot.
    Sharp eyes! That was pretty funny. QC sticker and plastic. Lenses don't have any wear marks. A meta-commercial really.
    Póg mo thóin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW Simon owns most if not all the MF kit seen in the video...if you watch the other videos on his website you'll see some of his other & older kit...ALPA, P65+, DF etc. etc.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a commercial, a pretty well made one, and not boring at all for me.

However, there are some points that stick out and make you think:
    - The scope of the gear is extremely unrealistic. Maybe this guy really owns all these bodies and lenses and takes them with him to every shoot. But almost nobody else would. That is an insane number of items which are extremely expensive. Two bodies and nine lenses. I'm sorry but that doesn't represent a realistic or common scenario. Nine lenses!
    - It is unusual to see the stickers on the display. It certainly makes you think about something.
    - It is very optimistic to say the auto focus is just as good as any 35mm.
    - It is a little bit ridicuous to say that this system is as good or better at everything than any 35mm?! I think the word for that is preposterous.

Seems the ad agency copywriter got overexcited.
    The system is good, but no system is that good.

Post Thanks / Like

It's so funny about the issue of the stickers. I left mine on until it finally rubbed off, so one more vote that some folks leave the stickers/LCD cover on.

The alternative is a scratch on a the LCD, which I would rather not have.

There are plenty of aftermarket covers, but the Phase One cover that ships on the screen actually does a good job for about 6 months or so. Putting on a new on is always a pain as it never fails that one piece of dust will get between the cover and LCD, just where you don't want it.

As to the number of lenses and camera gear being carried around, lots of gear, but I am sure he has lots of assistants to help move it around.

As of the QC sticker, I still have mine on. Never got around to pulling it off.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I read all the posts and then watched the short video, I love the Kaizen foam I'm planning on buying some and putting into my backpack.
    I don't get that lust feeling when seeing the kit though probably because I don't shoot Phase but I like the way everything is all in one box. My shooting is more of a take what is needed so to have the main system in the same case with the pano gear, laptop and other converters would be like a master bag, then I would have smaller bags to break it down and hold what I needed for the shoot. (Which is what I do now in a way)

But as the title of the post says I agree it's an insane amount of gear. In a great box with a perfectly clean presentation. And I love the mood of the overcast day and edgy scenes that portray a level of toughness. I wish they would have given him a big cigar to fire up.

PS the line about the dslr crap is reaching out a bit too much unless you don't know much about camera equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Black View Post
    Sharp eyes! That was pretty funny. QC sticker and plastic. Lenses don't have any wear marks. A meta-commercial really.
    Indeed, the lenses are totally clean as if they have not been used before. I know mine do not look that way. BTW, I have never removed the protective sticker from any of my digital back screens... I hardly use the screen so why bother removing it. But the squeeky clean lenses....