The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical camera obsolete? (keystone correction vs. shift)

synn

Shooting with a tech cam vs perspective corrections in post is similar to building a website in a WYSIWIG editor vs coding HTML in Notepad, IMO.

I have no tech cam, but I do have a 50mm shift lend and I absolutely enjoy working with it. I could probably get the same results by shooting with the 35mm and correcting in post, but I'd rather not.

Plus, with the shift lens, I end up with a 60-80MP image vs <30 when I correct a wider shot.

dchew

Probably true, Dave. However, I still see a lot of purists hanging on to tech cams for very specific kind of images where you could process in post, but the end result may not be to their own satisfaction.
I agree. What I mean is we do things a certain way with a technical camera because we choose to. And yes, perhaps in our mind we have to.

Some of my quirky examples: I like to stitch, but only by moving the back, not the lens. In fact when I merge in PS I much prefer to do it in steps where I manually align the layers so Photomerge does not auto-warp anything. I know, kinda weird, but we all have our preferences and things that are the "nails on a chalk board" that others wouldn't give a rat's a$$ about.

It's one of the reasons I think it is a great time to be a photographer. You can work with any tool and workflow you love and get almost limitless results!
:grin:

etrump

Something else I don't believe has been mentioned, and surely OT, is the focal range available is so much greater with the XF than the limited choice of tech cam primes.

With 35mm-300mm coverage with 4 lens, I have so much more flexibility. Granted I miss the tilt on my cambo but I am now able to make images that would not have been effectively accomplished. The difference in weight from the 32-150mm cambo kit was only 2 pounds, less total weight if I compromise to 40-300mm.

Surprisingly, at 300mm and 100MP, I can crop and still have more resolution than my d810 and 600mm prime.

That is just too much flexibility to pass up.

torger

Indeed tele lenses is not been a strong point of tech cameras, and zooms are missing.

However with a field view camera and nowadays discontinued Schneider Digitars one can get a quite compact and very flexible system. I carry a Linhof Techno with 35, 47, 60, 72, 90, 120 and 180mm lenses, and as the lenses are small and compact and all lenses use lens boards rather than barrels I end up with about 6 kilos (14 pounds) net (camera, back and lenses), and that includes a sliding back. Tilt, swing, and shift in all directions for all lenses. With tripod, head, extra batteries, water bottle etc and the backpack itself it adds up to say 10-11 kilos to actually carry around, but I think that's not too bad.

That flexibility suits my shooting style very well, although it does happen that I would like even longer reach. I've chosen to not get the 210mm though (which is the longest possible in the system) as it's a considerably heavier lens than the 180 and not so much longer. With roughly 30% spacing between the primes I don't really miss a zoom.

Unfortunately digital back development killed the small compact symmetrical lenses, and ground glass was too difficult to use to many so this type of system is legacy now. Had modern live view backs supported symmetrical lenses better and manufacturing continued it would have been a really nice field system for landscape photography.

A camera like the XF must support wide apertures and must have retrofocus lenses and thus they become very large and heavy. A tech camera doesn't need wide apertures and historically did not need to have retrofocus lenses and therefore had its special niche. But since all backs after the microless-free and pixel-shielded Kodaks have required retrofocus lenses it couldn't thrive, and now I think we've reached a point where the customer interest that actually existed for this niche has strongly weakened and people are looking to the other solutions.

I think the key selling point has not been flexibility but always been image quality, and when the majority don't see that they get a relevant image quality improvement over the more integrated standard camera systems the genre is in trouble. Personally the traditional/tactile large format style shooting experience is a key selling point so I can actually live with even a bit lower pixel peep image quality, but I think that view is rare.

Anyway, tech cameras are great for landscapes, and to anyone that's thinking about getting one I think it's sort of a "now or never" situation, so do get one and enjoy while it lasts.

bomzi

On the subject of tech camera's, does anyone have an opinion on the advantages over a LF style camera like the Linhof Techno or Arca F line? I'm interested in moving into digital medium format and am trying to figure out if a tech camera is the way to go or a more traditional LF style camera.

torger

I have a Linhof Techno. I discuss pros and cons in my review of it. Review: Linhof Techno

The weakness is ground glass focusing if you don't have live view, and less rigid. Advantages are the flexibility in movements and compactness of longer lenses. For pure architecture work I'd choose a pancake camera, for landscape I love to have my Techno, but do consider your own shooting style before making your decision.

The F-line is not comparable to the Techno. The LF style digital field cameras are more rigid. Look at Universalis to compare. The Techno is more rigid than the Actus too.