The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

L bracket for Hasselblad H and HTS

bab

I'm currently using a RRS L bracket the bottom attachment position to the body of the H fits perfect but...even with the accessory spacer from the HTS it won't allow free movement to turn the HTS the Knobs get in the way, you can turn the HTS so the knobs are on the top that's the only position to access the knobs freely.

The L bracket remains on my H body at all times with the spacer for the HTS because my left hand can hold on to the L bracket using it as a handle. The spacer allows the L bracket to drop down away from the bottom of the camera giving a somewhat comfortable left handle.

I have spoke directly to RSS and sent them pictures of the issues but they have no plans to remedy at this time. My question is anybody using the Arca Swiss L bracket it looks like its adjustable to some extent can you hold the Arca bracket as a handle? Does it have enough room to swing the HTS without cutting off your fingers? Does anybody have another solution (some available L bracket that will shift the camera with the HTS attached forward away from the Arca Swiss Quick clamp on a tripod head allowing you to rotate the HTS and be able to turn the knobs while the camera is in the vertical (portrait) position? Shooting stitches in landscape position is very limiting in the height of the image I rather shoot portrait position eliminating most times the need for multi row stiching. I can understand why Hasselblad wouldn't solve this whole debacle themselfs and have produced a simple bracket to fit seamlessly with Arca Swiss type compatibility.

Any help or partial help would be greatly appreciated maybe there is an easier solution I'm not thinking of. This whole left hand thing started when I saw a fashion photographer with a wooden handle on the left side of the H body allowing her m to turn the camera with ease ans shoot portrait I th out it was a great idea!

Thanks

Barry

Udo

Barry,

I do see two options which might help you to overcome your dilemma:

1) The Kirk L-Plate's dove tail at its bottom is rotated by 90 degrees compared to the RRS L-Plate which gives you the freedom of moving the camera forward in the arca-style clamp which gives you the necessary space for the HTS adapter. This Kirk plate is being fixed to the camera at two points, i.e. standard 3/8" screw at the camera's bottom plate and a M5 screw at the camera's left hand side behind the accessory cover. Only drawback of that solution: if you mount the camera in portrait orientation, the sensor's center is not in the same position as it was in landscape orientation.

2) Using the SmartFlex L-Plate makes life much easier. It consists of an L-bracket and a plate to be attached to the camera's bottom. The L-bracket is being fixed to the tripod. Once the camera has been clamped to the L-bracket you can flip this with the attached camera from landscape to portrait orientation (and vice versa) even without removing the camera from the clamp. And the sensor's center is always in the same position. HTS can be used comfortably.

Hope this helps.

Udo

bab

Barry,

I do see two options which might help you to overcome your dilemma:

1) The Kirk L-Plate's dove tail at its bottom is rotated by 90 degrees compared to the RRS L-Plate which gives you the freedom of moving the camera forward in the arca-style clamp which gives you the necessary space for the HTS adapter. This Kirk plate is being fixed to the camera at two points, i.e. standard 3/8" screw at the camera's bottom plate and a M5 screw at the camera's left hand side behind the accessory cover. Only drawback of that solution: if you mount the camera in portrait orientation, the sensor's center is not in the same position as it was in landscape orientation.

2) Using the SmartFlex L-Plate makes life much easier. It consists of an L-bracket and a plate to be attached to the camera's bottom. The L-bracket is being fixed to the tripod. Once the camera has been clamped to the L-bracket you can flip this with the attached camera from landscape to portrait orientation (and vice versa) even without removing the camera from the clamp. And the sensor's center is always in the same position. HTS can be used comfortably.

Hope this helps.

Udo
Thank you this smart flex looks very interesting I have emailed them where did you buy yours from?

algrove

I also use Smart Flex and with the various bottom plates one can use different systems on the Smart Flex. I think I bought mine from Capture Integration.

I just remembered I still have my Smart Flex plate for a Hasselblad 503CW. Since I sold the Hassy the plate is now available for sale at a very respectable price. PM me with any interest.