The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF and 120mm Macro MF issue?

M

mjr

Morning all.

I have just received a 120mm Macro MF lens, mounted it on the XF and I get the following..

I also get this...

I have tried the normal stuff, cleaned the contacts on the lens, removed batteries and restarted etc. All my other lenses are working fine. I have emailed my dealer but I believe he's on holiday this week so a quick question to those of you who may have seen or experienced this before? Is the lens likely to be dead or something else I am overlooking? I contacted the dealer I bought the lens from and they said it was checked as working so before I return it, just thought I'd ask, it may be something simple!

Thanks in advance.

Mat

M

mjr

Got an answer, just in case anyone has a similar issue in the future!

Although it was sold as 16 bit, it is the older 4 bit version which can be an issue on the XF and would require an update to the circuit board to work properly. I will just return it!

Mat

Paul2660

Matt, thanks for the info, sorry to see the problem. I did not know that the some of the older 120mm lenses would not work.

Paul C

algrove

On a tutorial I heard that lenses prior to 2008 (might have the year wrong, but somewhere around that) will not transmit data to the XF.

It was either a Phase video or Doug's focus stacking video.

M

mjr

I believe that the older 120 with an aperture ring will work if used under the manual lens setting, but as this one has no aperture ring, it requires communication with the body. Apparently there are some that work and some that don't, I can send it off to get the electronics updated but hardly seems worth the hassle for such a cheap lens.

Cheers

Mat

M

mjr

Yes, I believe you are correct, extra pins for the 16 bit D version which works. According to Phase, there was a problem with the XF and 4 bit lenses which was apparently solved in the most recent firmware update but that's not the case for the lens I have here. Shame, it's in excellent condition!

Mat

Oamkumar

I had issues with MF version of 120D lens when it is attached to the DF+ body. Changed 3 lenses and got the same issue with all of them. Aparture ring sometimes get stuck and will not go back. (not always, but especially when I use live view.). Finally I bought the AF version and so far no probs. Compared MF and AF versions and AF is better in the corners. Both are almost equal in the centre.

ejpeiker

I can't for the life of me find that Status screen on my XF - how did you get to that screen? It doesn't even show up in Phase One's own published menu tree for the camera.

M

mjr

I don't think the screen is accessible normally, I think it's just part of the internal checking process on start up and only displays if there is an issue. I didn't access it from the camera, it just appeared.

Mat