The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase one 35 mm or new Schneider LS 35 mm

joegl

Hey,

I do have the phase one 35 mm f3,5 for many (5 or 6) years now, and some heavy trouble with purple fringe which can´t be reduced with the tools in C1.
Now I´ve the new 35 mm LS for rent, which ist the best lens I´ve ever seen.
But,
Most of the time i`m doing editorial , street photography and handheld stuff wide open, at f 3,5, and prints up to 70x100 cm. After walking around for two days i wonder if Phase one will invest in some of my workout hours.
Man, its so heavy, more or less 1 kg heavier than the old one.

So, any chance to get a new 35 mm non LS with better coating, or are they more or less the same.

Thanks for help

Joerg

Jörg Glaescher - photography

kdphotography

Prior to the newly released Phase Schneider 35mm LS, the latest generation Phase 35mm "D series" is a polished "spit-shined" version of the Mamiya 35mm. We were told it had tighter quality control tolerances and new lens coatings. (my guess is that's as good as this smaller lighter 35mm is going to get). It did have a nice shiny silver ring on the barrel as I recall. My guess is that any new lens releases are going to follow along the lines of the revered SK LS series of lenses. High quality, big, heavy, and expensive.

ken

Paul2660

+1 to Ken's comments.

The D version was a stop gap. Phase/Schneider outdid themselves on the 35LS, but as you stated, it's a beast, as all the new SKLS are up to the 150mm.

You might look at renting the 45D, as some of them could be quite good, I purchased a used one that turned out to very good, not wide open, but by F8 which was where I was looking to shoot.

I sadly also agree on the OP's comments on C1 and purple fringe removal, even on the 28LS. In the current version of C1 9.1.x left a huge amount of fringe that I had to remove later on in LR. I am finding many more situations where C1 can't remove it all, or the 40 and 32mm HR-W especially when shifted past 5mm. I just really started seeing this in Vr 9 conversions so possibly something was changed etc. But LR or CC with the camera raw filter tends to get a pass on many images from C1

Paul C

joegl

thank you so much

but is there an evolution in the phase one 35 mm history, or did they refurb the mamyia 35, and than produce it like that until now.

what I mean,
any chance that if I buy a new 35 mm Phase one non LS, know, would it be better than my 5-6 year old?

thanks again

joerg

Paul2660

Sorry missed that.

Mamiya 35 and Phase One 35mm D same lens same company made it Mamiya. Phase claimed that better quality control was used in the D version. From my use the two are identical besides the cosmetic changes Ken pointed out.

If you tested 5 separate lenses odds are resulted images would vary. You may even find a old Mamiya version that outperforms a D version.

Phase knew this and addressed the short fall with the 35Ls. I also agree with you that is a bit tragic that the only optical combination that could be reached had to be so large and heavy but for the results are worth it. But in your work there no way you will be inconspicuous carrying that combo around.

That is more a job for the new X1D.

Paul C

DougDolde

I had the 35mm Mamiya D and can confirm the purple fringing was pretty bad and not totally correctable in C1.

But if you think the 35mm LS is heavy try the 40-80mm LS Schneider !