The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

For Fashion/Portraiture work. H5D-50c or XID?

maxshafiq

Dear Forum members,

Looking for advise as to what Hasselblad system would be better suited for Fashion/Portraiture work if the choice was H5D-50c versus X1D. Yes the X1D has not been released yet so opinions will be based on what we all know.

Want to hear reasons of why the one you are recommending is better suited.

Thanks in advance.

Max

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Max,

My impression is that the H5/6D-50c would be a better choice for this type of work.

1) True Focus

2) Optical VF is real time no lag.

3) Remote cable unknown for the X1D

4) Faster AF

5) Native lens selection without an adapter ....

I have an order in for the X1D but for travel and landscape ....

Bob

maxshafiq

Thanks for your comment Bob.

I think your comments are valid. Only thing is release date is so close for the X1D and am debating if I should wait and see what the production version brings before pulling the trigger!

PeterA

I am interested in the XID because of its 'form' factor for travel purposes as Bob has indicated as well. As a dedicated studio camera - I think the H5 body and lens system would be a more flexible and complete system. An H5D with the newer zoom lens paired to a 100/2.2 is a pretty compelling studio kit. The one potential advantage the XID might have over the H5 system is shutter speed @ 1/2000th - pretty amazing really. All this of course subject to XID field reports and testing - it is a new 'system' - I ahve no doubt the lenses will be spectacular- however more clarity regarding quality of EVF experience and shooting lag as well as autofocus will be of prime consideration. After using a Leica SL for a week or so now- I think that any EVF sans this type of quality viewfinder experience will be a negative factor for me anyway.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I guess we need to wait and see how well AF-works in the final version. Contrast sensing AF is usually a bit slow, but it used to be flexible so the focus point can be moved around quite a bit. My understanding is that Hasselblad will have multiple AF-positions on the sensor in the final software.

Ideally you could put the AF-point on the closest eye. But, at presentation there was only a single AF-position. Just to say, with contrast sensing AF, there is no need for focus points, it just uses signals from the sensor. But it needs fast readout of a small area and a lens that can focus very rapidly. Modern lenses for mirrorless often use a special focusing element or group and move them using a voice coil, linear USM or a linear stepper.

The EVF/OVF is an interesting question. EVF has a small lag, the signal needs to be read out from the sensor and processed before shown in the viewfinder. That gives a lag. On the other hand the sensor can be reset very fast, so time from exposure button pressed to shutter open can be very fast. With OVF the mirror needs to flip out of the way, and there may be a delay needed for vibrations to settle. The H-series has a variable delay for that.

A good EVF is bright in dark places, but OVF is probably preferable outdoors. Many shooters actually like EVF, some don't. But, I would think that you need to have some experience with EVF to know how workable it is.

Something to keep in mind is that the X1D is Hasselblad's first electronic camera, so software is first generation. The good thing is that camera firmware can be upgraded. So, the camera will probable improve with time.

Best regards
Erik

Dear Forum members,

Looking for advise as to what Hasselblad system would be better suited for Fashion/Portraiture work if the choice was H5D-50c versus X1D. Yes the X1D has not been released yet so opinions will be based on what we all know.

Want to hear reasons of why the one you are recommending is better suited.

Thanks in advance.

Max

Last edited:

DrakeJ

I'd wait until X1D was released to see how the AF performs, especially with the HC-lenses on an adapter.

PeterA

I'd wait until X1D was released to see how the AF performs, especially with the HC-lenses on an adapter.
I think the adaptor idea is great in theory...in practise I know of no adaptor that can deliver autofocus as good as the autofocus lenses that were designed for the body on any make of camera - let alone a MF with HUGE heavy glass whacked on it - stuff it wasn't designed to manage...makes me nervous too cludgey for my liking..even manual focus lenses via simple adaptors - so much missing capability when lens doesn't talk to camera...

CSP

Yes wait and test ! from what we know the x1 is missing almost everything what makes a mirrorless camera interesting for people / portrait work imho. af is a critical point, the sony a7r for example with cdaf only did not work very well with bright modeling lights and i would be surprised when hasselblad with their first mirrorless does perform better. but what is equal important is how good the evf algorithm deals with overall bright, backlit or dark subjects the lag is a absolut non issues in comparison.

fotografz

While I'd love a new X1D, (we all love the latest toys:rolleyes: ... for the applications you specifically mention the H5D would be my choice.

First, and perhaps foremost, the H5 features True-Focus v2. I cannot over emphasize how well TF works, even when focussing and recomposing a subject at the very edge of the frame. AF is also fast for MFD.

The H5 has the brightest viewfinder I've used to date. When I had a H4D and my current Leica S with its highly touted bright viewfinder, I mounted the same H lenses on both cameras and the H viewfinder was visibly brighter. Not sure if the H to S adapter played a role in that, but it was clearly brighter. After a lot of experience with EVF on my A7R and A&R-II, I still do not like it compared to optical VF. I even had a chance to look through a Leica SL with the highest spec EVF available, and I STILL disliked it.

The already excellent ergonomics of the H4 was improved on the H5. With a hand strap, the H is easy to use for periods of time than one would not expect from a larger camera compared to the X1D.

The H system is a product of a decade+ of refinement ... it is a known entity.

Full range of lenses ... the less mentioned HC-210/4 is a staple for fashion and portraiture, and the HC-100/2.2 a prime reason to go H. The new 50/3.5 MK-II is a state-of-the-art optic second to none.

While the new H6 allows use of the new 1/2000 sync leaf-shutter H lenses, the 1/800 versions are available used at extremely reasonable pricing. I wonder if Hasselblad will offer a firmware update for the H5 to allow use of the 1/2000 lenses. I can't imagine them continuing the manufacture of the 1/800 versions.

You can detach the H5 back and attach a battery for use on a camera with movements ... I loved doing portraits with movements to control the areas in and out of focus.

- Marc