The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anti fog sprays

pesto

Are any of the anti fog sprays safe to use on the front element of contemporary lenses? Zeiss offers one but it appears to be intended for spectacles which likely have different coatings.

Boinger

I would be wary to put anti fog coatings on our lenses. You don't know the exact chemicals used and how they will affect the manufacturer coatings.

One thing we commonly use when we dive is baby shampoo. We rinse our goggles with baby shampoo and that generally prevents fogging. The only caveat is you have to do this every time you dive as it will wear off. But I think a baby shampoo solution with a clean cloth would be easy to apply on the lens.

jerome_m

Baby shampoo on optical surfaces will give a nice David Hamilton effect.

If you want to use anti-fog, simply mount a cheap clear uncoated filter.

Reactions: spb

Boinger

Baby shampoo on optical surfaces will give a nice David Hamilton effect.

If you want to use anti-fog, simply mount a cheap clear uncoated filter.
I should clarify not baby shampoo but a baby shampoo solution with water that you wipe away to leave the surface clear.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
So just curious, in what circumstances do you find fog on the lens a problem? Usually the main way to avoid fog is acclimate the equipment to the temperature of the shooting environment.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nikon have had anti-fog cloths for many years for use with VF eyepieces and lenses.

Just do a search for Nikon FogKlear at your favorite retail sites.
(I noticed that the old cloths have been replaced by this new version)

Btw, B&H also list the Zeiss Fog Defender under their photographic lens accessories ...

pesto

Thank you all for your responses to my question.
John Kreidler of Leica told me yesterday that the Zeiss anti fog spray has caused hazeing on some lenses that he is familiar with, so that one is a non starter. I understand that the best solution is to equalize the temperature of the equipment but there have been a number of mornings lately that I needed a plan B.
Now David Hamilton, I always thought that he had the best job in all the world...:bugeyes:.
It looks as though I will just have to plan ahead more carefully.

Thanks again.

etrump

So just curious, in what circumstances do you find fog on the lens a problem? Usually the main way to avoid fog is acclimate the equipment to the temperature of the shooting environment.
Night photography is usually problematic unless your in a dry area. I was in BC during the most recent meteor shower and even after 4 hours it would still fog on almost every shot. I blame the fact that it was 4am for not being smart enough to try the nikon fog cloth sitting in my camera bag.

I've since popped some rubber bands and heat pads in the bag.

pesto

The problem has mostly been in early morning conditions when I did not plan the night before to go out and shoot. It has been unusually steamy lateley down here, even for south Florida. There is a night blooming epiphytic cactus, Hylocereus undatus, whose flowers begin to wilt at first light and I have found it difficult to anticipate which morning the buds will open...one certain way to delay its flowering is to leave my gear in my garrage over night. :banghead:

stephengilbert

South Florida: the air conditioning capital of the world.

The only place I've even encountered lens fogging.

Is there any secure place to leave your camera prior to use that isn't air conditioned?

What if you left your camera in the trunk of your car?

pesto

What if you left your camera in the trunk of your car?[/QUOTE]

That is actually what I do. I live pretty far out in a very rural area that was part of the Everglades not all that long ago and feel perfectly safe in doing just as you have suggested; I just need to do this every night until the humidity backs off a bit.

David Henry

you can take a look at Optix 55 anti-fog spray. It's a great product. My friend is using it and he highly recommends this one.