The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One 645+, Leaf Shutter Lenses, and Pocket Wizard max flash synch.

Apologies in advance if this has been talked to death, but there are too many strings on the various forums to sort through. So here is my question, as succinctly as possible;

I want to start using Leaf Shutter lenses with my Phase One 645+ to take bright day light “people” images using flash, and the 1/1600th synch capability of the Leaf Shutter lenses. I know how the process works from my wedding photography days with an RB, but I cannot seem to find an answer as to whether the Pocket Wizards allow a synch of up to 1/1600th. While I can afford the Profoto B1’s, and the “V-Grip Air”, that is just a financial investment that would not pay off for me. Also, I will want to use the Bolt VB-22 system.

I started reading a similar post from 2012 on another popular forum, but as is common there, the discussion degraded into a comparison of Medium format vs. Nikon/Canon.

So, can someone with experience using the Phase One/Leaf Shutter/Pocket Wizard/higher shutter synch speed combination tell me “what’s up”? Can I use the Pocket Wizards to synch flash photography at 1/1600th on a Phase One?

Thanks,

J.D.

kdphotography

James,

In a nutshell---yes, you can!

See, https://captureintegration.com/definitive-guide-to-medium-format-high-speed-sync/ for a great article on using the PWIII in FAST mode which will enable you to wirelessly trigger your strobes with LS lenses. You can always wire directly to lights, but the trick here is finding transmitters that can keep up with faster flash sync to enable wirelessly triggering your lights. There are only a few options. On the cheap, the Buff Cybersync works when paired with the Einstein. Profoto is good here. If you want to use the B1 or B2, you don't need the V-grip Air for your DF+---simply use a Profoto Air transmitter in the hotshoe. You do need to make sure the transmitter is in Fast mode (which eats batteries btw). Upgrade to the XF body and Profoto Air sync is built in---it's awesome.

The real limitation becomes the flash duration of your lights, and I'm not sure that the Bolt has a short enough duration (or power) to really take advantage of LS up to 1/1600th, not to mention better modifiers available with more traditional studio strobes. You need to go shopping for lights making sure that the flash duration is fast enough to keep up. Other than the Einstein, more capable lights generally mean more money. If cost is a factor---skip the Bolt. Get the Einstein, Cybersync transmitter/transceivers, and a Vagabond mini lithium battery. I can tell you this absolutely works with Phase MFDBs and LS lenses.
Otherwise, Profoto!
Hope that helps!

Thanks KD,

I looked at the blog post, and as always "...my gear was not listed...". The 80mm L/S, and DF+ = check. Missing was any comment on a P45+.

To your point about the XF; I do want one, but would need to move up to an IQ back, and I am not ready for that.

The limited use I would be getting from a strobe setup just makes me want to avoid a Profoto type kit.

J.D.

Steve Hendrix

With P45+, I believe you are limited to 1/800th flash sync; P65+ went up yo 1/1600th.

That is correct - 1/1600th was not an option until P40+/P65+ (and all future IQ series products).

Since the topic is high speed sync, some may find the below link to a recent blog written by our very own Brad Kaye that goes into a great deal of detail with actual real world performance with several scenarios. Keep in mind this is only Part 1 of a series...

Apologies to those using other strobe systems (we primarily only sell Profoto and Broncolor Strobes), but regardless, this may still be of some interest.

https://captureintegration.com/high...-phase-one-xf-and-leaf-shutter-lenses-part-1/

Steve Hendrix/CI

DrakeJ

That is correct - 1/1600th was not an option until P40+/P65+ (and all future IQ series products).

Since the topic is high speed sync, some may find the below link to a recent blog written by our very own Brad Kaye that goes into a great deal of detail with actual real world performance with several scenarios. Keep in mind this is only Part 1 of a series...

Apologies to those using other strobe systems (we primarily only sell Profoto and Broncolor Strobes), but regardless, this may still be of some interest.

https://captureintegration.com/high...-phase-one-xf-and-leaf-shutter-lenses-part-1/

Steve Hendrix/CI
Excellent write-up! I did a non-scientific test myself and came to the conclusion that the safe zone was about 8 in power (freeze mode) on the B1 at full sync speed 1/1600s. Now I see that I can go a wee bit higher.

I look forward to your next post. I suspect there will be a color difference as well when you exceed the limit due to the cutoff of the flash duration.