The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpack for XF Kit

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My requirements would be for a single Leica S body ,the 24 ,30-90 and the 180 . Do I need the Mountain Series for the stronger frame or would the light weight series be enough for this kit . I don t need a lot of extra space for other gear and want to stay as mobile as I can .

Deltona

F stop Guru with Large ICU, carries Mamiya 645 df and back, 210, 45 and 80 lenses.
Batteries and cards, iPad. Also Nisi filter kit. Torch, keys, water hydration sac. Waterproof jacket and trousers. Gitzo tripod mounts either side. very well balanced. I've had mine for 2 years, not a tear rip or broken buckle anywhere.

I've even attached my Inspire drone to the pack and carted that as well. Best rucksack I've bought, and I've had a few.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
F stop Guru with Large ICU, carries Mamiya 645 df and back, 210, 45 and 80 lenses.
Batteries and cards, iPad. Also Nisi filter kit. Torch, keys, water hydration sac. Waterproof jacket and trousers. Gitzo tripod mounts either side. very well balanced. I've had mine for 2 years, not a tear rip or broken buckle anywhere.

I've even attached my Inspire drone to the pack and carted that as well. Best rucksack I've bought, and I've had a few.
I didn't know the large ICU fit in the Guru. I have both, so I guess I could just try it ;)

I 've been carrying more junk in a lotus. That takes the large ICU with just a bit of room at the top. I can get a Leica S and 4 lenses in there, which is more weight than I want to carry, but the whole ICU can go in a rolling carry-on, which helps.

--Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Phase One f-stop Satori EXP with XF, IQ, 28D, 35LS, 75-150D, 150/2.8D & 300/4.5. Also XL Pro ICU - small middle section has Lee SW-150 ring for 35LS (also on 28D). Limited space above the CU but plenty in the top pocket & back pockets for other stuff. I have to carry the SW-150 filters & holder in an external case.

IMG_2095.jpg

2nd bag with Large Pro ICU, Actus DB+ and 3 rodenstock lenses, IQ back normally goes in the empty space. Load of junk up top that normally isn't there - just a battery pack these days. This normally would go into a Loka or Tilopa BC (Satori EXP here is actually oversized for this outfit but a scumbag stole my favorite Loka a while ago).

IMG_2102.jpg

Last edited:

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Phase One f-stop Satori EXP with XF, IQ, 28D, 35LS, 75-150D, 150/2.8D & 300/4.5. Also XL Pro ICU - small middle section has Lee SW-150 ring for 35LS (also on 28D). Limited space above the CU but plenty in the top pocket & back pockets for other stuff. I have to carry the SW-150 filters & holder in an external case.

2nd bag with Pro ICU Actus DB+ and 3 rodenstock lenses, IQ back normally goes in the empty space. Load of junk up top that normally isn't there - just a battery pack these days. This normally would go into a Loka or Tilopa (Satori EXP here is actually oversized for this outfit but a scumbag stole my favorite Loka a while ago).
Do you wear one in the front and the other on your back? That must be interesting to see. :grin:

I recognize the second one from the Maine workshop. FYI, I ordered an f-stop about a month ago, so I hope to get notification that it will ship by Jan 1. :watch: I am sure it will be worth the wait. Im tired of putting my backpack down, and then when I put it back on, get covered in dirt or sand or whatever it was sitting in.

MGrayson

I've got a Guru, Lotus, and Tilopa BC, with a Loka UL on the way. I would never take a Satori as I wouldn't be able to lift it when it was packed. You XF people are very strong! I'm jealous of a lot about that system, but size and weight - NOT. :D

--Matt

GrahamWelland

Do you wear one in the front and the other on your back? That must be interesting to see. :grin:
Just like travelers do - one on the front, the other heavy one on the back! NOT!! One in the car/home, one on my back :grin:

I recognize the second one from the Maine workshop. FYI, I ordered an f-stop about a month ago, so I hope to get notification that it will ship by Jan 1. :watch: I am sure it will be worth the wait. Im tired of putting my backpack down, and then when I put it back on, get covered in dirt or sand or whatever it was sitting in.
Worth the wait. Actually the one you saw was my Loka - a perfect size for a tech camera outfit IMHO.

I would never take a Satori as I wouldn't be able to lift it when it was packed. You XF people are very strong!
Well, I did try using a ThinkTank Airport Accelerator with the XF kit as it could hold more gear. It literally felt like a block of metal and was outrageously heavy (with a couple of extra lenses such as the 240LS and 55LS). That folly ended after I ordered a couple of XL Pro ICU's for the F-Stop bag. The bag distributes the weight so much better than the ThinkTank bag did. I literally nearly fell over backwards with that combo on one occasion climbing up an embankment.

I'm tempted by the 40-80LS and 75-150LS lenses. Now THAT combo with the 35LS and 240LS and XF kit is a decent benchpress weight, let alone field outfit.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I have tried several different backpacks and all have been too cumbersome, either because they don't distribute the weight well, or the straps are not comfortable.

I loved my Tarmac Expedition series for when I was shooting my Nikon for sports as it was small, light and I could carry 2 bodies, my 70-210 and 24-70. I would carry my 300mm in a separate case.

Now, when I switched to MFD with the DF+ and now the XF, and even with my Cambo WRS, the Tamrac went with the Nikon gear, and I went through 3 or 4 different bags, until I settled for my current Tenba which I am now tired of as wearing it for a long period is not at all comfortable. thinking back, I believe I settled on this bag as it is water proof and has weather sealed zippers. :facesmack:

If the F-stop is truly more like a true mountaineering backpack, it will be a welcome change as I used to camp a lot and would wear my pack with 35 lbs of gear, food and water for long hikes over difficult terrain, so I am hoping that the F-stop will be an improvement over the Tenba.

I have to check my email confirmation as I cannot remember if I ordered the Tiilopa or the Sukha. I just hope it arrives before my planned trip to Arizona in early February.

dchew

Bryan,
F-Stop bags indeed wear like internal frame packs, at least more than any other photo backpack I've tried. And I've tried a lot of photo and mountaineering backpacks: flexible external frame Jansports (yup I'm old), Gregory, Dana (yum), Mountainsmith (yuck), Lowepro (yuck), Tamrac, Osprey (yum), The North Face (eh), Black Diamond (yum), Think Tank, Sierra Designs, Boreas (yuck), Patagonia (yum).
Just to name a few. :loco:

However, I would not recommend trying to use an F-Stop for over-night trips. It is still primarily a photo pack. Stuffing gear the way you would in a traditional backpack doesn't work so well with the F-stops, especially behind the ICU. Unless you are using a small or medium ICU there isn't enough space on top and in the pockets for much other than a light one-night trip.

But their comfort is second to none for photo backpacks. Reminiscent of Dana Designs. :thumbup:

Dave

MGrayson

Hi Bryan,

You're a tall guy. I'm not tall, but I have very short legs, and so am long in the waist. The f-stop bags smaller than the Tilopa can't take weight off my shoulders - he Tilopa BC barely. If you're getting a larger one, then it might work for you - or you might not care about how much weight rides on the hip belt. I'm much more comfortable with a long backpack where I can lift the shoulder straps. That said, for any given weight, I've been more comfortable with the f-stop bags than the others I've tried (LowePro, Tenba).

Best,

Matt

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The Loka and the medium ICU shallow came in about a week (from F Stop). The Short ICU is still back ordered .

I found a large ICU and medium ICU on eBay from a UK retailer and they arrived in about 3 weeks .

Terrific product and perfect for an S outfit .

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I ordered a bag and ICU from fStop in mid September. I made the mistake of using PayPal, so f-stop was paid immediately. I still haven't seen the bag. When I placed the order, it said 4-6 weeks was expected delivery. At week 7 I requested an update (non was volunteered, they made no effort to communicate the fact they were going to miss the original target shipping time frame).

They did respond, telling me they were expecting the items sometime at the end of November. It's been 11 weeks now.

I guess my concern is having issues managing inventory for something that is your primary product and not a new product line being overtaken by unexpected demand just doesn't make much sense unless you are strapped for cash and struggling with credit terms from your suppliers.

MGrayson

Wayne,

Too late with this advice, but with f-stop, NEVER order a back-ordered item. If it's in stock, it will ship in a week. If it doesn't say, call or chat with them and check. If it says 4-6 weeks, assume you might see it some day in the distant future when you least expect it. Buy one from eBay or place a WTB.

The time I did not take that advice (a Loka), I eventually gave up, cancelled the order, and got the Tilopa BC which was available. Graham, I did not take yours, although I often wanted to. ;) .

I love the products, but not their inventory and customer communication.

--Matt

D&A

Wayne,

Too late with this advice, but with f-stop, NEVER order a back-ordered item. If it's in stock, it will ship in a week. If it doesn't say, call or chat with them and check. If it says 4-6 weeks, assume you might see it some day in the distant future when you least expect it. Buy one from eBay or place a WTB.

The time I did not take that advice (a Loka), I eventually gave up, cancelled the order, and got the Tilopa BC which was available. Graham, I did not take yours, although I often wanted to. ;) .

I love the products, but not their inventory and customer communication.

--Matt
My exact experiences too Matt and great advice. I will second what everyone has said about f-stop backpacks. Their support system for carrying equipment for relatively long distances, is probabaly the most comfortable of photo backpacks I've ever used among dozens and dozens I've tried and owned over the years.

I personally would add rhat if one was simply carrying their equiment a short distance and aetting baxkpack down to work out of, then I would recommend one of the other standard brands auch as Lowepro. I would say theses other standard backpacks are easier to access all equipment whem wide open but they are a far cry for carrying such equipment long distances in comfort.

I need to make a WTB ad for a f-stop Garu in case anyone has one for sale.

Dave (D&A)

hcubell

I've got a Guru, Lotus, and Tilopa BC, with a Loka UL on the way. I would never take a Satori as I wouldn't be able to lift it when it was packed. You XF people are very strong! I'm jealous of a lot about that system, but size and weight - NOT. :D

--Matt
I have the Loka UL. I would not think of using it for an XF with the Phase lenses. The weight of the camera and lenses would overwhelm the Loka UL, and all of the weight would just be hanging off of your shoulders. I tried putting a Hassy H2 and a few lenses into it and even that was too much weight. I hope it can accommodate a Hassy X1D and a few lenses.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

The UL versions aren't as flexible or well built IMHO. I had a Loka UL but sold it before I ever used it as it seemed too lightweight and not as solidly built/configurable for comfort. Still a nice bag but too cutdown for my personal liking. I like the robust and super comfortable waist support that really lighten the load overall vs hanging off your shoulders.

MGrayson

I have the Loka UL. I would not think of using it for an XF with the Phase lenses. The weight of the camera and lenses would overwhelm the Loka UL, and all of the weight would just be hanging off of your shoulders. I tried putting a Hassy H2 and a few lenses into it and even that was too much weight. I hope it can accommodate a Hassy X1D and a few lenses.
I don't think I could carry an XF system in anything, but I'm not very robust :grin:

I carry a Leica S and 2-3 lenses, and the Lotus handles that well. I'm hoping the Loka UL, which is arriving in a few days, will do at least as well, hopefully better. Adding a laptop to any of these bags is difficult as the design hangs the weight as far from your body as possible. I can carry an S, 2 lenses and a 15" laptop, but it isn't fun, and much better to have the camera out in my hands.

The Tilopa BC is great for the long haul, but not around town.

Bags are even more fun to discus than cameras and lenses, and MUCH easier than photography :)

Best,

Matt

M

mjr

I've had a Loka UL for ages now, carried 2 Leica S's and 5 lenses in it, the XF and 4 lenses and now a lowly 2 Nikon and 5 lens kit, I really like the bag, use it every day for everything. I also use the f-stop Ando 18 for lots of things, great for air travel, can carry everything plus a laptop without looking big, pack the UL in the hold luggage. All in all, these 2 really work well for me!

Mat

hcubell

The UL versions aren't as flexible or well built IMHO. I had a Loka UL but sold it before I ever used it as it seemed too lightweight and not as solidly built/configurable for comfort. Still a nice bag but too cutdown for my personal liking. I like the robust and super comfortable waist support that really lighten the load overall vs hanging off your shoulders.
Yes, I bought it for a Sony A7RII and lenses. It is fine for that amount of weight. I have a Tilopa for my Hasselblad/Phase system. The suspension is beefier and works well, but the weight of the overall system is unacceptable to me for anything beyond 100 yards from my vehicle. That's where the X1D may come into play for me.

algrove

I have the original Loka with a good sturdy frame. I am told that is now called the Ajna. Where did these names come from?

I now use it for my XF+100 with 35, 55, 80, 110, 150, 2x, and 240 with RRS rail and even add in an RX-1 while using the XL Pro ICU. Sure it fills it up, but that's what I got it for. I hike all over with it as above and some hikes have been STEEP.