The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

240 LS + 2x on IQ3 100. - Any users / comments ?

Marlyn

All,

Anyone use the 240 LS, + 2x, on an XF body with IQ3-100 ?

Looking for any issues, comments, good, bad, Limitations, etc etc.
I'm aware that its heavy. Mainly looking at focusing (Autofocus), shooting and resolution topics.

My main use is wildlife-in-the-landscape, (Tripod and Hand held) along with telephoto landscapes from tripod. From previous experiments with MF, I know I want something this long if it is doable. On the DF, using the old 240 was a waste of time. (IMO)

Tripod is a 3532LS Gitzo with a Satchler FSB-6 fluid Head or an Arca D4.

Context. I currently shoot an IQ160 on Cambo WRS-AE, and never use the DF body, BUT, am about to upgrade to the XF and IQ100, so looking at XF lenses for various options for Landscape, and 'wildlife-in-the-landscape' style shooting.
I use Canon 1dx II and assorted Long glass for real wildlife shooting. Not expecting the XF to take that over.

Any thoughts welcome

Regards

Mark.

aztwang

All,

Anyone use the 240 LS, + 2x, on an XF body with IQ3-100 ?

Looking for any issues, comments, good, bad, Limitations, etc etc.
I'm aware that its heavy. Mainly looking at focusing (Autofocus), shooting and resolution topics.

My main use is wildlife-in-the-landscape, (Tripod and Hand held) along with telephoto landscapes from tripod. From previous experiments with MF, I know I want something this long if it is doable. On the DF, using the old 240 was a waste of time. (IMO)

Tripod is a 3532LS Gitzo with a Satchler FSB-6 fluid Head or an Arca D4.

Context. I currently shoot an IQ160 on Cambo WRS-AE, and never use the DF body, BUT, am about to upgrade to the XF and IQ100, so looking at XF lenses for various options for Landscape, and 'wildlife-in-the-landscape' style shooting.
I use Canon 1dx II and assorted Long glass for real wildlife shooting. Not expecting the XF to take that over.

Any thoughts welcome

Regards

Mark.
You might look at P1 latest video w/ Richard Thompson. He shot a Pagani Huayra BC using this same set up. Probably not much help but you can see a couple images he took with this set up.
Images are from a Profoto article on this shoot. Profoto Blog How to shoot a supercar in New York with the Profoto B1
ATTACH=CONFIG]121075[/ATTACH]Profoto-B1-PhaseOne-Richard-Thompson-Profoto_586-600x955.jpg

Attachments

algrove

I have used this combination seldom, but it is not AF with the 2x on board. However, you have LV to assist. I do not shoot wildlife, but do shoot landscape. IMHO, forget hand held. A VERY sturdy triod is in order for any XF+100 shooting. I am pleased with my RRS TVC-33 and cube setup. I use the RRS rail for use without 2x and with 2x.

Marlyn

Thanks for the comments, and Interesting video.

Anyone else use this combo have any thoughts ?

Regards

Mark

MILESF

I have used this combination seldom, but it is not AF with the 2x on board. However, you have LV to assist. I do not shoot wildlife, but do shoot landscape. IMHO, forget hand held. A VERY sturdy triod is in order for any XF+100 shooting. I am pleased with my RRS TVC-33 and cube setup. I use the RRS rail for use without 2x and with 2x.
My view also.

It becomes manual focus with the 2x.

I also use a sturdy tripod, Cube, RRS rail with a front support for the lens barrel.

Then it's fine.

Don Libby

I've shot this with a 160 and 180 but no 100 however the one piece of advice I can offer is use the RRS long lens support every time you use the 2x. The 240 by itself can be handheld if circumstances allow it however once the 2x is added you double the f/stop and loose AF and it becomes very heavy very fast. It is a beautiful lens and I've enjoyed the hell out it with the 2x attached and either on a sturdy tripod or window mount in the Jackson Hole/Yellowstone area.

Hope this helps

Don

Marlyn

Thanks folks.

Will check that out some more.

Preparing to take the plunge into XF land....

Regards

Mark.

Paul2660

I have wondered Schneider decided to cut the AF with the 2x? Most companies can find a way to transfer the 2 or 3 contacts needs to continue the AF signal.

It's not like the 2x is not made by the same company.

Just wondering, as the 240 by itself is a great lens as already mentioned. Not having AF is not a show stopped, but there are times it would be nice, even on a tripod.

Also one more vote for the RRS stabilization rig. I have not needed it with the 240, but use it a lot with 35mm long glass.

Paul C

steve_cor

Paul,
The autofocus motor is in the camera body. It moves the lens into focus using the screwdriver method.

I guess it would be problematic to transfer the connection of the screwdriver through the length of the teleconverter and then couple to the lens. I use a ratchet with an extension and it works fine, but maybe it's not the same with a machine. They should come out with a 1.4 times teleconverter with autofocus.

--Steve.

Paul2660

Thanks Steve,

I assumed the motor was in the lens, as with 35mm long glass. Not a bad idea on a 1.4 either.

Paul C