The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LEICA SL or Pentax 645Z

rollsman44

I am now semi retired and shoot mainly for pleasure with some portraits and Group shots. I would only need a prime and a Portrait lens for what I do. Anyone can give me their experience with either. Thank you

steve_cor

If you would like image stabilization, you should check into the Pentax 90mm as a portrait lens.

https://pentax.com.au/products/22210

Although Pentax 645Z doesn't use leaf shutter lenses.

Think about what features are your priorities. That will narrow down your choices. The Leica SL is not medium format. Is medium format a priority?

--Steve.

Chapel

Hi, I don't have experience with either. But, I had a Leica M-P type 240 which did a nice job. And after trying out a medium format Leaf Aptus II-8 I sold all my Leica gear because the files seem so much nicer with the bigger sensor. It's hard to describe exactly what that means but it's there.
Hope that helps.
Greg

jerome_m

Portraits are probably the area of photography where lens rendering is the most important, so your choice should be based on the lenses and not on the camera. I can't say that I have been impressed by Pentax in that respect, but all this is a question of taste, of course. Still: it is quite easy to find a dozen sample portraits taken with a given lens and get a feeling whether you like it or not.

Lenses which I find most interesting for their rendering.

• Leica S
  • Hasselblad HC
  • Leica M and SL
  • Older Minolta glass, "G" series and STF
  • Canon L

Then there is the question of shutter if you use strobes outside.

fotografz

I am now semi retired and shoot mainly for pleasure with some portraits and Group shots. I would only need a prime and a Portrait lens for what I do. Anyone can give me their experience with either. Thank you
This is a pretty broad question. Without previous preferences for portrait and group work on your part, it could be almost anything. Do you shoot more candidly and/or more spontaneously? Or do you work with the subjects to get what you want? Do you use lighting, or at least bounce reflectors?

I tend to agree that it is the lenses that dictate choice as much or more than the camera. Or, at least, lenses can be a primary criteria in picking the camera system. Yet, there is one camera criteria that I do look at when choosing ... how natural it renders skin tones right out of the camera. I passed on buying a Leica M246 because of the skin tones.

This decision further complicated by narrowing the choice between a 35mm verses a Medium Format system. All that I can say is that I have 35mm and MFD systems for my people work, and almost always chose the MFD to do portraits and group shots.

My current MFD kit is a Leica S(006) ... and for Portraits/Groups I gravitate to the S-100/2 (roughly a 75/1.4 in 35mm terms), and a CS-35/2.5 (28/1.8ish) for groups.The S lens rendering across the lens line-up is the best of any I've used to date.

That said, in past I bought into the Hasselblad H system partially because of their HC-100/2.2 with a rendering that reminded me of a Leica M-75/1.4.

If MFD benefits of more real estate and resolution don't necessarily sway the decision ... then the SL should be looked at more closely. BTW, get your hands on one ... I was surprised how big and heavy it was!

Do you want AF? If so, then the SL with adapted Leica R-85/1.4 or R-90/2 (portrait), R-35/1.4 or R-50/1.4 (group) are eliminated despite their wonderful rendering.

- Marc

rollsman44

I appreciate the great feedback. I agree about the lenses. I am going to stay with the Pentax 645Z . You all have made my decision Much easier. Thank you.

Godfrey

Back when the Leica SL was announced and I mentioned that I was very interested in one, someone asked me why I'd pick it over the Pentax 645Z. My answer then was the same as I respond now, with three quarters of a year of SL usage behind me: I absolutely love the rendering qualities of the Leica lenses, particularly my old Leica R lenses, and haven't got the same feel from Pentax 645 lenses despite enjoying the use of a Pentax 645 film camera for some years. The SL has a very good sensor, excellent native lenses, and compatibility with all my Leica R and M lenses ... it's fast and responsive, handy in a way that 35mmFF can be and medium format isn't. It's what I chose then and what I'd choose now.

If I am going to go with medium format for the qualities of the larger sensor, I'll be sticking with my favorite Hasselblad V system: the Zeiss lenses I have for it perform, to my eye, head and shoulders beyond anything I ever had out of Pentax 645. A Leica S system would be terrific but it's out of my price range. The new Hasselblad X1D would be another possibility; you might want to look at that since the initial two-lens system offering is about what you were looking for in lenses.

G

The Leica SL is a luxury camera for enthusiasts who want to be able to say that they own a Leica. The 645Z is a professional camera for anyone who thinks with their head and doesn't need luxury branding to make them feel warm and special inside.

That said, the 645Z is a big camera. If you are ok with that, then there you are. If not, there are many cameras better than the SL for 1/3rd of the price. Unless of course, you think the world's biggest variable aperture zoom for 35mm sensors is something to write home about.

Mikec

Lenses definitely play a big parts. Try the Pentax 645 150mm and 90mm. They are quite amazing. They are probably not quite a S 100mm but I find them great with their own strengths.

I appreciate the great feedback. I agree about the lenses. I am going to stay with the Pentax 645Z . You all have made my decision Much easier. Thank you.

pegelli

The Leica SL is a luxury camera for enthusiasts who want to be able to say that they own a Leica.
I don't own a Leica SL, and probably never will. But I find your statement a bunch of hogwash, no need to generalize, there's plenty of people who own a Leica to use it just like any other camera.

I don't own a Leica SL, and probably never will. But I find your statement a bunch of hogwash, no need to generalize, there's plenty of people who own a Leica to use it just like any other camera.
I mean it's a 7 thousand dollar camera with sensor performance lagging behind the original A7. Sure anyone could buy it and make great use of it but why on earth would they? To get the best out of those two equally overpriced and oversized variable aperture zooms? Wow, exciting. Then as we all know from the long thread on this site about Leica service horror stories if the thing breaks down your personal hell has only just begun. The M is one thing and I am glad it exists, I loved mine and was forced to sell it recently because I need a car for a relocation from NYC. But the SL? It's an inferior copy of better cameras wrapped in some nice metals and paint. Hard pass. At least when Hasselblad announced the X1D they were smart enough to make two lenses available AT LAUNCH. And the X1D with a lens is cheaper to boot. Do I have to spell this out or something? What does not compute? Even if you want the best 35mm mirrorless can offer an A7RII with Batis lenses is as good as it gets. But why does that not work? Oh yeah because it's so scary to be driving with a Sony instead of the red-dot fever. Even though Sony sensors are the best in the business and the BSI sensor in the A7RII is state of the art bar none, no way, you can pay 3 times as much and say you have a Leica!!! I would never talk anyone out of buying the M or the Q, but every other camera they make (or fake) has some fatal flaw even beyond the absurd prices.

drevil

Staff member

well i did buy a m-p last year to see what all this is about and sold the camera again early this year. the color rendering is special for sure, but at the same time i think its probably a filter inside the camera.
because the same lenses on my sony do not reproduce the same colors.

i think the only camera that can be taken seriously, for professional work, is the S line (not SL). The rest IS overpriced way too much, though i have to say, the M-P did feel awesome in my hands, i liked the heavy weight in that small package for sure.

but one should also think about all the other limitations, like "just" 24mp in their current line up, and what did annoy me the most was the very limited long exposure capability, till ISO 800 you can do exposures till 32", anything above will stop at 8 seconds....three letters, WTF, why do the leica cameras with their cmosis sensors even have a bulb mode.

and that being said, despite that there are small points that make me do miss that little camera, its overpriced that simply does not deliver.

my money would be on the pentax for sure, much more mp, very good long exposure capability!

cheers

rollsman44

First, let me thank you all for contributing your experience. I have the 645Z but was considering buying the Leica SL and see which was better for me then sell one of them. I decided to Keep the 645Z. I do like the S1 but I was fortunate enough to handle it at B&H a few months ago. ITS HEAVY and without the lens. Way too heavy for me. The 645Z is really not that bad in terms of weight and handles very well. So, for now I wii hold on to it. I have several Prime lenses which I like very much. Over the years of buying and selling different cameras and lenses I realize that I still have to Post Process the images so why spend a fortune . Thanks again. The forum members are Super people.

Godfrey

First, let me thank you all for contributing your experience. I have the 645Z but was considering buying the Leica SL and see which was better for me then sell one of them. I decided to Keep the 645Z. I do like the S1 but I was fortunate enough to handle it at B&H a few months ago. ITS HEAVY and without the lens. Way too heavy for me. The 645Z is really not that bad in terms of weight and handles very well. So, for now I wii hold on to it. I have several Prime lenses which I like very much. Over the years of buying and selling different cameras and lenses I realize that I still have to Post Process the images so why spend a fortune . Thanks again. The forum members are Super people.
You're welcome, I'm glad to help out for what little I can.
I hope you the Pentax 645Z delivers what you're looking for.

G

pegelli

I mean it's a 7 thousand dollar camera with sensor performance lagging behind the original A7. Sure anyone could buy it and make great use of it but why on earth would they? To get the best out of those two equally overpriced and oversized variable aperture zooms? Wow, exciting. Then as we all know from the long thread on this site about Leica service horror stories if the thing breaks down your personal hell has only just begun. The M is one thing and I am glad it exists, I loved mine and was forced to sell it recently because I need a car for a relocation from NYC. But the SL? It's an inferior copy of better cameras wrapped in some nice metals and paint. Hard pass. At least when Hasselblad announced the X1D they were smart enough to make two lenses available AT LAUNCH. And the X1D with a lens is cheaper to boot. Do I have to spell this out or something? What does not compute? Even if you want the best 35mm mirrorless can offer an A7RII with Batis lenses is as good as it gets. But why does that not work? Oh yeah because it's so scary to be driving with a Sony instead of the red-dot fever. Even though Sony sensors are the best in the business and the BSI sensor in the A7RII is state of the art bar none, no way, you can pay 3 times as much and say you have a Leica!!! I would never talk anyone out of buying the M or the Q, but every other camera they make (or fake) has some fatal flaw even beyond the absurd prices.
I have no problem with your opinion on the technical capabilities of the SL camera (although you forgot to mention weather sealing), but I remain with my point that it's bad form to take a dig at the owners of that camera in general. In my mind that's not the spirit of GetDPI. We should come here to discuss technical aspects of systems and enjoy photographs, and not to stereotype owners of certain equipment.

fotografz

Sticking with the Pentax does seem like a good idea. Personally, I found it odd to be comparing the SL to your Pentax. They are such different tools ... about the only similarity is the camera price.

IMO, these days it requires a lot of compelling reasons to walk away from a set of tools you already have in hand. While we all love the thrill of new gear, and exploring what it can do ... in reality, most of this stuff is more than capable, and it is up to us to make something of it. "Lilly Pad Jumping" from one system to another rarely yields better results ... these are just machines, and machines aren't creative, we are.

The Love/Hate halo surrounding Leica is nothing new. From a 100% rational perspective it is hard to justify many of their offerings ... which usually means perceived cost-to-value ratio. However, photography isn't a 100% rational pursuit. Leica makes unique tools which we are free to like or not. Their Rangefinder M and MM delivers that rangefinder experience, and those that do not get what that means will never understand the price/value ratio. Same for the S system which also delivered a unique experience and set of features. I'm sure those indulging in the SL feel the same way.

BTW, I'm getting pretty tired of someone inserting Sony A7/A7R-II arguments into every freakin' discussion about other cameras. I own and use a A7R-II, with some very nice Zeiss lenses, and also use a few excellent Leica M optics on it. I do not think it is the paragon of cameras and honestly do not believe it delivers IQ anywhere up to it's specifications on paper. The price/value ratio looks great on paper ... but in the end, IF you aren't subjectively smitten by the IQ it delivers, it is a mediocre price/value ratio.

- Marc

Ed Hurst

I have no problem with your opinion on the technical capabilities of the SL camera (although you forgot to mention weather sealing), but I remain with my point that it's bad form to take a dig at the owners of that camera in general. In my mind that's not the spirit of GetDPI. We should come here to discuss technical aspects of systems and enjoy photographs, and not to stereotype owners of certain equipment.
While I may also question why someone may choose to use a specific brand of camera, and am a passionate advocate of the 645Z, I also value the tone and culture of this site and would be very sad to see that eroded. We generally seem to have a gentle, supportive mood...

V

Vivek

Without further thinking - there is only one choice - Leica SL
Why? It is not a medium format camera. Perhaps, the fabulous price is in that area but the sensor size would indicate otherwise.