Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 223

Thread: S2 and my impressions.

  1. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Black View Post
    That is very true. The margins are pretty hefty and they are more so when the manufacturer is also the national distributor.

    Has anyone noticed that Hasselblad has appointed as executive chairman, the former Carl Zeiss Asia-Pacific CEO, Dr. Larry Hansen? My gut feel suggests that Hasselblad may be working with Carl Zeiss again for its H-system.
    Nope!

  2. #152
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Why would we "abandon ship"?
    You wouldn't, and probably many, perhaps even most others wouldn't. But if Hasselblad keeps making unpopular moves like this, it does affect how people think about them, and it just sits there in your head and simmers. If one day an opportunity arises for a switch, some might just take it. A loss of faith can change things very fast. Have you read "The Tipping Point"?

    Abandoned the V system. Who cares?
    The *existing* V owners. You talk only about new sales. New sales had dropped off a cliff because Hasselblad has provided no way forward with the system, not the other way around. People love their Vs. Hasselblad was one of the companies which ignored digital for way too long. There are still lots of V owners who harbour resentment for the abandonment of their V cameras. I thought that you were a big fan of the 203FE. Doesn't it bother you in the slightest that a large square sensor was never released? We frequent the same forums. I don't know why you don't notice the people lamenting the death of their V system. I do.

    That said, there are a ton of legacy V users that would love a bigger square sensor. However, I seriously doubt it would be a barn burner in terms of sales unless by some miracle it was a CFV-II 48X48 priced below $15K.
    At this point it is no longer clear if it would be a success, although I tend to believe that it would. It would have to a simple back with good integration with the V system, for a low price, however. V owners are probably not the buyers of P65+ and AFiII-10 backs... $12k for a 30MP 48x48mm back would probably be a good place. When that it economically feasible, someone should do it, I don't care who.

    Also, why wouldn't any company blunt the intro of a potential competitor by using a entry level pricing strategy? That strategy doesn't produce a bloody nose, it produces sales into your system rather than the competitor's.
    It may increase sales. But it may also just lower income. It is always a gamble. If the coming system (speaking generally here...) is hotly anticipated, then it may change nothing, except your profit margin.
    Carsten - Website

  3. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    If you built a 6 x 6 sensor with a 9 micron or better a 6 micron pixel size. What do you think...

    a) The cost of the this sensor would be and
    b) How many MegaPixels it would be

    David

  4. #154
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Is that directed at me? It would be huge and cost a fortune. I am asking for a 30MP 48x48mm sensor myself, as I think that this can be done affordably.
    Carsten - Website

  5. #155
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    You wouldn't, and probably many, perhaps even most others wouldn't. But if Hasselblad keeps making unpopular moves like this, it does affect how people think about them, and it just sits there in your head and simmers. If one day an opportunity arises for a switch, some might just take it. A loss of faith can change things very fast. Have you read "The Tipping Point"?

    This assumes a loss of faith ... which I only see from people that aren't buying their products anyway. Those moves were mostly unpopular with owners of other backs and the companies that make them. Hasselblad is now Imacon which also happens to make their own camera ... why would they care about those buying someone else's digital back .... which is where the money is?

    The *existing* V owners. You talk only about new sales. New sales had dropped off a cliff because Hasselblad has provided no way forward with the system, not the other way around. People love their Vs. Hasselblad was one of the companies which ignored digital for way too long. There are still lots of V owners who harbour resentment for the abandonment of their V cameras. I thought that you were a big fan of the 203FE. Doesn't it bother you in the slightest that a large square sensor was never released? We frequent the same forums. I don't know why you don't notice the people lamenting the death of their V system. I do.

    Well, Hasselblad may have ignored it since they were a camera company back then, but virtually every digital back made worked on the V, so what's the issue? As to sales dropping off a cliff due to lack of developing the V system further ... why would they do that? Why not develop a whole new proprietary camera platform that uses the current (and still current digital) technology? Years later, and there still is no larger square sensor from any sensor maker to use on the V system. It was, and still is, vaporware.

    One fact tends to escape everyone here .... Hasselblad is the ONLY MFD system that makes both the separate digital back and the modular camera system that's matched to it. Phase relies on other camera makers. So does Leaf and to some extent Sinar. Now there is the specter of the Hy6 going bye-bye with the possible demise of F&H. What if Mamiya goes belly up? Plenty of used gear to work with, but no more advancement in either camera system to stay current with developments in digital back technology.

    At this point it is no longer clear if it would be a success, although I tend to believe that it would. It would have to a simple back with good integration with the V system, for a low price, however. V owners are probably not the buyers of P65+ and AFiII-10 backs... $12k for a 30MP 48x48mm back would probably be a good place. When that it economically feasible, someone should do it, I don't care who.

    Doesn't exist. Vaporware. Wishful thinking (by me also). It's up to the sensor makers to do this ... if it'd be such a hot prospect why aren't they doing it?

    It may increase sales. But it may also just lower income. It is always a gamble. If the coming system (speaking generally here...) is hotly anticipated, then it may change nothing, except your profit margin.

    That is not how it works. The H3D is not new, it's R&D is probably covered already so it's likely that it'd still be profitable even at $12 or 13K ... or if not, would not be a loss leader draining profit margins ... which ancillary sales would most likely mitigate anyway.

    All of which is good as far as I'm concerned ... the lower the price of this stuff the better ... especially now when business is so bad. But admittedly not so great for Leica trying to launch into the marketplace with competitors who's R&D costs have already been amortized to a great extent

  6. #156
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    All of which is good as far as I'm concerned ... the lower the price of this stuff the better ... especially now when business is so bad. But admittedly not so great for Leica trying to launch into the marketplace with competitors who's R&D costs have already been amortized to a great extent[/B]
    Couldn't agree more, forget the large square sensor. Concentrate instead on reducing H3D prices to make them more attractive to a wider audience, including starving artist/photographers.

  7. #157
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Okay, it seems that our opionions on the matter just differ, and there doesn't really appear to be any way to resolve anything, so I'll just leave it at this point. We have both expressed our thoughts.

    One minor point I wanted to respond to: the sensor makers don't work in a vacuum. When Leica wanted sensors for the DMR, M8 and S2, they went to Kodak with specs in hand. When Phase wanted to make the P65+, they went to Dalsa. These companies work with their customers. If a 36x56mm chip is possible, so is a 48x48mm chip. The only thing missing is the will.

    It is as if the love of the square never existed, or as if it was a brief (decade-long actually) love affair. I don't understand why no one caters to this market. The square is still a wonderful way to frame things.

    FWIW, I think I ought to add a little about my opinion of the H system, for those who feel attacked by my Hasselblad rants. My main issue is with the two decisions I have already mentioned: the killing of the V, and going from open to closed.

    In fact, I consider the H system to be the strongest MF system on the market at the moment, and it doesn't appear to do anything worse than anyone else (except it doesn't match the 1-hour exposures of Phase), and it does a lot of things better. The integration is excellent, the viewfinder is bright, the system is very complete, and everything works well together. Hasselblad doesn't appear to suffer from the QA issues of Mamiya, or the partially out-of-date or incomplete Hy6 (although I am sure that this will be fixed with time). Leaf also seems to be going strongly, but Hasselblad just outperforms them at this time. If I were to go pro, and was looking into MF for those purposes, I would probably buy an H. Even though it is two-tone grey-brown.

    But I am no pro, and I make photos for the love of it, and I feel an emotional connection to my Contax 645 and especially my V system that I don't expect to feel for the H. This is similar to how I prefer my M8 to a DSLR. The DSLR and the H are clearly more well-rounded and competent for pro work, but the soul is not there any more. They are just good tools.
    Carsten - Website

  8. #158
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    It is as if the love of the square never existed, or as if it was a brief (decade-long actually) love affair. I don't understand why no one caters to this market. The square is still a wonderful way to frame things.
    Believe me, the love affair with the square still exists - witness my website, not a rectangle in sight - and there are there are plenty of film based solutions out there catering for this market.

    I see 3/2 4/3 format digital capture as an addition to the square film based format, not as a replacement.

  9. #159
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Yes... except that the square is now film and the tiny CFVII. Everything else is not made any more. And so for high-res digital squares, you need to crop or stitch, not always possible or attractive options.
    Carsten - Website

  10. #160
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    And so for high-res digital squares, you need to crop or stitch, not always possible or attractive options.
    ...or shoot film and scan.

  11. #161
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    As Marc pointed out , we do not have a bigger square sensor than 37x37 , because none of the sensor makers produces a bigger square sensor .

    The H-SYSTEM could take a 48x48 sensor and I see big chances for good sales figures for such a back . I believe that some players in the game do not want a sensor 48x48 to come on the market . Technically , I think , it would not be a problem . If you can produce 36x56 sensors , why not 48x48 sensors ? ? ?

  12. #162
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    As Marc pointed out , we do not have a bigger square sensor than 37x37 , because none of the sensor makers produces a bigger square sensor .

    The H-SYSTEM could take a 48x48 sensor and I see big chances for good sales figures for such a back . I believe that some players in the game do not want a sensor 48x48 to come on the market . Technically , I think , it would not be a problem . If you can produce 36x56 sensors , why not 48x48 sensors ? ? ?
    It's not that they don't want to, but that there is not a large enough market. Sensors are expensive and every square millimeter costs. Small volume also increases the price repaidly. So a 6x6 sensor will be a lot more expensive than a 645 sensor (maybe twice the price?), yet most images shot on square format end up being cropped to a rectangle anyway. The upshot is that a 645 sensor will be a much more attractive deal to most. (Tough luck on the small minority who prefer the square crop - they will just have to crop the rectangle back to a square).

    Btw, the H system is about the worst potential candidate for a 48x48 sensor. The viewfinder is only big enough for Hasselblad's 'new full frame - 48x36mm', afaik, and the image circle of some lenses is also too small (e.g. the 28mm only covers 48x36mm). The only realistic candidates for large square sensors are the Rollei 6000/Hy6/Afi or the old Hasselblad V systems (and I can't see anyone developing an expensive new sensor for the V).

  13. #163
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    I honestly think it is an economic thing -- most of the people willing to pay for medium format digital are shooting commercial where the end product is usually close to a 4:3 ratio. In film, shooting in a square was not a big deal as it just required slightly more film so if people cropped down, it tended not to really matter. With digital, that extra bit of sensor is a substantial extra cost given the difficulty in making sensors (the bigger it is, the more likelihood of an error in the chip, and consequently the higher rejection rate and cost). If 80-90% of their intended market is going to crop off that extra bit of information anyway, it makes more economic sense to stick to the 4:3 ratio.
    As for the people who like the square -- it is more often artists and amateurs (I don't mean this in an derogatory sense...in the sense of someone who loves photography for making pictures, not for taking photos for catalogs, of products etc). In that market, people are less likely to want to pay 20,000-30,000 dollars for a digital back. They cannot amortize the costs and it is viewed as a discretionary expenditure rather than a business move. Hasselblad probably figures that they catered well to that market with the CFV -- they gave them a square sensor that worked seemlessly with the V series cameras and lenses that they preferred using. At the same time, they kept it at under 10,000 dollars so that it was an easier sell to this type of photographer. I am sure if they could make a full frame square chip for a price they thought would be profitable, they would do it.

    Anyway, if anyone does it, it is likely to be Sinar or Leaf -- they have the camera system that is best suited to it (in the Hy6/AFi), and Leaf especially has shown willingness to make non-standard sized sensors. I suspect that the future of a square back from them will be dictated by how well the AFi 10 does.

    Edit: I was writing this while Graham wrote his post...we were thinking along very similar lines.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  14. #164
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    well put, both Graham and Stuart.

  15. #165
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Square format is not really that viable in the commercial end results. It's actually quite rare to see square in magazines , catalogs, and marketing pieces.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  16. #166
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    ... I see big chances for good sales figures for such a back .
    Juergen,

    I question that. How many square format pictures do we see in magazines and ads ? Can't remember a single one
    (apart from the pictures in the good old Hasselblad Forum magazine).

    So it is left to hobbyist shooters. And there we have only few nerds left that are
    willing to spend >12-15k Euro for a digital back.

    I'm pretty sure the companies in that market have made their homework and
    calculated the expected sales figures. The result speaks for itself.

    Of course they may re-consider their decision, but then the price of the 48x48 has to drop to about 7-8k Euro (ala D3X).
    Not sure when that will happen though. (if it happens i would by one for my V system since i love the square format,
    meanwhile I'm totally happy with my H3DII)

    Anyway, just my 2 cents.

    Regards,
    Ralf

  17. #167
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post

    Btw, the H system is about the worst potential candidate for a 48x48 sensor. The viewfinder is only big enough for Hasselblad's 'new full frame - 48x36mm', afaik, and the image circle of some lenses is also too small (e.g. the 28mm only covers 48x36mm). The only realistic candidates for large square sensors are the Rollei 6000/Hy6/Afi or the old Hasselblad V systems (and I can't see anyone developing an expensive new sensor for the V).
    Sorry , I was wrong . The H-SYSTEM would not be able to take a 48x48 sensor .(but a 42x42 should be possible) It is a 4.5x6 system and some lenses have an image circle big enough for 42x56mm some others might not have the required image circle .

    I agree , that the final results in the professional world are in most cases not square and that square images would have to be cropped to a 4:3 ratio .
    I have recently attended a model shooting where H-SYSTEM cameras have been used .
    When I saw the photographers turning the cameras from horizontal to vertical position and back again , I thought , pour guys , and how wonderful and easy to handle must it be , to have a digital back with a big enough square sensor . Full concentration on the shooting without a lot of gymn . In other words , the square format would have the adantage of easier handling .

  18. #168
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Following all your thought on square format I must say I fully agree with both sides.

    As I was probably the one who initiated this discussion, I want to mention, that in my personal favor I like square, because it opens up my mind. Now this of course is not any justification for a business case, nor will it turn any manufacturer into building square format backs and systems for the digital world.

    But on the other side consider, that evolution in the digital area is progressing extremely fast, thus in some time from now building square format sensors will become feasible and much cheaper than it is today. And maybe then the time has come ....

    At least i would love it.

  19. #169
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    The "sensor size topic" has also been discussed in other forums and I have contributed as well . I admit sometime also emotional .
    Why ? ? ?
    First , because I do love the square format .
    Second , because I hoped that sensor and digital back makers would hear my prayers and those of many others as well .

    Then we were not far away from PHOTOKINA and not only my hopes were disappointed , but also many others did expect that something would happen in the "square sensor world " .
    Nothing of the kind .

    But presented was a sensor 36x56 . Here we have a ratio of 4:6,2 .
    LEAF APTUS -II 10 . (ca.30.000 €)
    Is there anyone out there , who sees a need for that size of sensor ? ? ?
    It is not a pano sensor . Not wide enough . And with the currently available stitching software , panos are much cheaper to achieve .
    So , who are the users for that format ? ? ?

    But it looks as if the pixelmania rules the professional world . 50MP , 56MP , 60 MP . Were will the future development go ? ? ?
    Pixelmania produces many funny flowers .
    The journey will shurely bring us even bigger sensors .

    But still , I will not give up hope for a 48x48 sensor digital back , which can be adapted to the V-SYSTEM .
    And I do not care who makes it . Not any more . Even beeing a loyal owner of great HASSELBLAD gear .

  20. #170
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Now, a birdy told me something really big is coming from Hasselblad ... totally up there in the stratosphere, and is something no one is expecting in their wildest dreams.

    I'm trying to confirm, but that damned company is like Fort Knox when it come to info. If it's even close to true, the H3D-39 will become a semi-pro camera priced as an entry level kit.

    Holy-moly ... stay tuned.

    If you never hear from me again, black opps from Sweden took me out
    :-).

    If you trust internal road maps from RED, Phase One, and Hasselblad then we will all be shooting 1000 megapixel cameras at 100fps on 2 foot wide sensors in mid 2010.

    Take the optimism of an R+D guy and magnify it through the lens of internal marketing evangelism and reality and plans often diverge by an order of magnitude.

    Let's all live in the here and now shall we?

    __________________
    Doug Peterson (Email Me)
    Head of Technical Services
    Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
    National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

  21. #171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Remember the build up to the Segway? When that guy was saying, "I have an invention that will change the world!" and it turned out to be a freaking scooter?
    My guess is that Hasselblad is building a digital back into a Segway...
    heh

    No, I hope it is a thing which will change all our lives, but I have a feeling Doug is probably right.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  22. #172
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Where is Marc anyway? Did the black ops get him? Maybe he is out there screaming for help, or maybe he is out there, earning enough money to get that special thing that Hasselblad is coming out with. He has got my curiousity piqued, that is for sure.
    Carsten - Website

  23. #173
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Remember the build up to the Segway? When that guy was saying, "I have an invention that will change the world!" and it turned out to be a freaking scooter?
    He was just misquoted. He meant it will change the Polo world.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20949202973376

  24. #174
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Where is Marc anyway? Did the black ops get him? Maybe he is out there screaming for help, or maybe he is out there, earning enough money to get that special thing that Hasselblad is coming out with. He has got my curiousity piqued, that is for sure.


    Everyone has special things they're going to come out with.

    The only differences are when someone says something about the thing in correlation to when the thing is actually going to ship.


    Steve Hendrix
    Phase One

  25. #175
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    He was just misquoted. He meant it will change the Polo world.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20949202973376
    I think we should start calling them Nerd Chariots.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  26. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I think we should start calling them Nerd Chariots.

  27. #177
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    I think it's important to understand that the S2 will have appeal way beyond the traditional MF crowd. By offering MF resolution and quality in a system that is weather sealed and has a form factor (size and ergonomics) that I know I can live with, this would be the only camera I need. Studio, street, on location at factories or in the jungle... I can't really see any situation when I would not bring an S2.

    The Canikony all lack in one or more features, and the traditional MF cameras are not what I would carry around anywhere. A Sony with Zeiss lenses seems to be the strongest competitor in my book, but given the choice, and if price didn't matter, I would undoubtedly end up with the Leica.

    The big question mark is the price. It will obviously be much more expensive than Canikony, and I keep asking myself how much I would be willing to pay, if I could afford it. At the moment I can't, and I probably have that in common with a lot of potential users.

  28. #178
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I think it's important to understand that the S2 will have appeal way beyond the traditional MF crowd. By offering MF resolution and quality in a system that is weather sealed and has a form factor (size and ergonomics) that I know I can live with, this would be the only camera I need. Studio, street, on location at factories or in the jungle... I can't really see any situation when I would not bring an S2.

    The Canikony all lack in one or more features, and the traditional MF cameras are not what I would carry around anywhere. A Sony with Zeiss lenses seems to be the strongest competitor in my book, but given the choice, and if price didn't matter, I would undoubtedly end up with the Leica.

    The big question mark is the price. It will obviously be much more expensive than Canikony, and I keep asking myself how much I would be willing to pay, if I could afford it. At the moment I can't, and I probably have that in common with a lot of potential users.
    BINGO! That it in a nutshell.

  29. #179
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    I could certainly fill a much needed gap in my work with the S2. No question it has my name written all over it and exactly what I am looking for BUT this is not even a option for me UNTIL a FULL system is OUT and ALL systems are full bore with service , repairs, firmware , lenses and accessories. I will NOT go in with it half way and it must be priced correctly. Issue is this is not ready for me until after January about 3 or 4 months after release. For a Pro too be waiting is not always the best choice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  30. #180
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I could certainly fill a much needed gap in my work with the S2. No question it has my name written all over it and exactly what I am looking for BUT this is not even a option for me UNTIL a FULL system is OUT and ALL systems are full bore with service , repairs, firmware , lenses and accessories. I will NOT go in with it half way and it must be priced correctly. Issue is this is not ready for me until after January about 3 or 4 months after release. For a Pro too be waiting is not always the best choice.
    I agree with that although I might not need as many lenses as you would, but at least 3 or so.

    I have a question WRT resolution - which s actually the most important one for my needs: do you think that the 37MP will be enough for 60" x 40" or similar print sizes (mostly landscapes)? Would there not be the need for 50 or 60MP?

    This is my biggest concern besides the fact that I have doubts how Leica will perform their professional service etc.

  31. #181
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Maybe not that big, Jack can answer this better with regards to the 39mpx P45 plus which I think 40x60 maybe the limit with all the detail you will want to see. One issue also is the micro lenses which with regards to Moire it tends to knock down the high Nyquist value to eliminate Moire well in my mind this also knocks down the very finest details down also. No this is my thinking and we may need some more thoughts on this from the engineers. But in general like the P30 plus with micro lenses it is highly regarded as a fashion camera which helps control some moire. Now there is pixel pitch and other stuff here also so we may need to hear from more a expert in this area. Personally I think the sensor is too small for a 40 x 60. Not sure I would push my back this far on one frame.I know my P25 plus will go a easy 20 x30 and after that Jacks P45 plus will start taking over. My feeling is you will need the higher MPX backs to get 40 x 60. Peter if you need a raw file with these backs to play with that is not a issue. Steve and Doug would be able to help here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  32. #182
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Maybe not that big, Jack can answer this better with regards to the 39mpx P45 plus which I think 40x60 maybe the limit with all the detail you will want to see. One issue also is the micro lenses which with regards to Moire it tends to knock down the high Nyquist value to eliminate Moire well in my mind this also knocks down the very finest details down also. No this is my thinking and we may need some more thoughts on this from the engineers. But in general like the P30 plus with micro lenses it is highly regarded as a fashion camera which helps control some moire. Now there is pixel pitch and other stuff here also so we may need to hear from more a expert in this area. Personally I think the sensor is too small for a 40 x 60. Not sure I would push my back this far on one frame.I know my P25 plus will go a easy 20 x30 and after that Jacks P45 plus will start taking over. My feeling is you will need the higher MPX backs to get 40 x 60. Peter if you need a raw file with these backs to play with that is not a issue. Steve and Doug would be able to help here.
    Guy, has anyone played with Genuine Fractals recently? I remember being stunned by the sizes you could get out of it ... I recall taking a whimpy 8 meg file up to
    7 feet wide for a wall display a client needed and even the printer was stunned at how good it looked.

    Thirty day free demo here:

    http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail....FSHyDAod_G7Ppw

    Would be interested in hearing of anyone's experiences with the latest version of this program with these MFD backs.

  33. #183
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I have a question WRT resolution - which s actually the most important one for my needs: do you think that the 37MP will be enough for 60" x 40" or similar print sizes (mostly landscapes)? Would there not be the need for 50 or 60MP?
    How do you print?
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  34. #184
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    How do you print?
    I am not printing these sizes myself, but I have a professional print lab using Epson printers like 7900, 9900 and 11800. And they are doing an excellent job.

    As paper I am using Hahnemühle Photo Rag (Matt) and Hahnemühle Artist Canvas. I am going for 300dpi (as long as I can).

    So far I am getting stunning quality from my film scans (all 6x6 or 645, taken with Hasselblad, Rollei6006 or Contax645). For scanning I use a Hasselblad Flextight X5 - probably the best scanner I have found - and I have tried a lot, even high end drum scanners - BTW most no longer in production

    But my future is clearly a pure digital workflow, thus I am so curious about which system I will get in.

  35. #185
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Maybe not that big, Jack can answer this better with regards to the 39mpx P45 plus which I think 40x60 maybe the limit with all the detail you will want to see. One issue also is the micro lenses which with regards to Moire it tends to knock down the high Nyquist value to eliminate Moire well in my mind this also knocks down the very finest details down also. No this is my thinking and we may need some more thoughts on this from the engineers. But in general like the P30 plus with micro lenses it is highly regarded as a fashion camera which helps control some moire. Now there is pixel pitch and other stuff here also so we may need to hear from more a expert in this area. Personally I think the sensor is too small for a 40 x 60. Not sure I would push my back this far on one frame.I know my P25 plus will go a easy 20 x30 and after that Jacks P45 plus will start taking over. My feeling is you will need the higher MPX backs to get 40 x 60. Peter if you need a raw file with these backs to play with that is not a issue. Steve and Doug would be able to help here.
    Thanks!

    Steve and/or Doug:

    this would b really great, if I could get a RAW file (preferably landscape) from a 60MP back and maybe as comparison from a 39MP back.

    Not sure if you could post a link here to the files for download (because also others might be interested), or you could send the file to my email address:

    [email protected]

    Many thanks in advance.

  36. #186
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I am not printing these sizes myself, but I have a professional print lab using Epson printers like 7900, 9900 and 11800. And they are doing an excellent job.

    As paper I am using Hahnemühle Photo Rag (Matt) and Hahnemühle Artist Canvas. I am going for 300dpi (as long as I can).

    So far I am getting stunning quality from my film scans (all 6x6 or 645, taken with Hasselblad, Rollei6006 or Contax645). For scanning I use a Hasselblad Flextight X5 - probably the best scanner I have found - and I have tried a lot, even high end drum scanners - BTW most no longer in production

    But my future is clearly a pure digital workflow, thus I am so curious about which system I will get in.
    What file size do you provide them and do you know what RIP do they use for the printers, if any?

    As a rule of thumb, a good 90MB digital file (RGB), with a good RIP will go up to virtually any size inkjet print at 300dpi

    We can argue about the X5 being the best scanner but that can be in another thread:-)

    I've got some files from 33MP and 56MP backs if you want, taken with different cameras/lenses

    Yair
    Last edited by yaya; 14th March 2009 at 02:31.
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  37. #187
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Check this test of an 8.8" X 11" file from a Hasselblad H3D-31 shot enlarged to 60" using Genuine Fractals v6.0 ... I tested it against using PS to enlarge the same shot the same amount ... see what you think :

    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...3887#post83887

  38. #188
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Thanks Marc I was not thinking so far as a Rip or a software program just straight from the can sort of. I know on my Epson 3800 if I went for 40 x60 crop to match the size . I would not hold up nearly as well to bigger back.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  39. #189
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    I don't think you will have any problems from 40x60 with 37mp, particularly with good lenses. You may not get the same detail that you get in an 8x10, but you will still get tons of excellent detail. People are not going to look at this from 2 inches away -- they will have to stand back a bit to take it in. Even when they move in to look at a detail, there will still be plenty to look at. You have to remember that people have been printing that big from earlier digital for years, and from film for even longer than that.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  40. #190
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Maybe not that big, Jack can answer this better with regards to the 39mpx P45 plus which I think 40x60 maybe the limit with all the detail you will want to see. One issue also is the micro lenses which with regards to Moire it tends to knock down the high Nyquist value to eliminate Moire well in my mind this also knocks down the very finest details down also. No this is my thinking and we may need some more thoughts on this from the engineers. But in general like the P30 plus with micro lenses it is highly regarded as a fashion camera which helps control some moire. Now there is pixel pitch and other stuff here also so we may need to hear from more a expert in this area. Personally I think the sensor is too small for a 40 x 60. Not sure I would push my back this far on one frame.I know my P25 plus will go a easy 20 x30 and after that Jacks P45 plus will start taking over. My feeling is you will need the higher MPX backs to get 40 x 60. Peter if you need a raw file with these backs to play with that is not a issue. Steve and Doug would be able to help here.
    Guy,

    I'd think you could go a lot larger than 20x30 with your P25+ files. I routinely print out stunning 20x30s from my M8 files. In fact, I have some 20x30s printed from 22MP ZD files that don't appear any sharper/better at that size than M8 or DMR prints when comparing them side-by-side.

    To me, 40x60 seems the ideal output size for the S2 at 37.5 MP. Actually, if you print a 40x60 from the P45+, because of aspect ratio, you'd only get 34.6 MP. Not a huge loss of information, but the S2 will make at least as good a print at this size, if not a touch better. Of course, we will have to wait a few more months to see for sure.

    David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

  41. #191
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Thanks folks for your feedback so far! Seems all very logical to me!

    I was considering not to upsize the images and be able to print with 300dpi, thus I came to larger MP counts than 37 or 39.

    My printer uses some RIP, I do not know which one, I have to ask.

    Would be interesting to see if I could go with the S2 in principle. Although I am pretty sure it will in the end not be a cheaper solution than going with the H System

  42. #192
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Guy,

    I'd think you could go a lot larger than 20x30 with your P25+ files. I routinely print out stunning 20x30s from my M8 files. In fact, I have some 20x30s printed from 22MP ZD files that don't appear any sharper/better at that size than M8 or DMR prints when comparing them side-by-side.

    To me, 40x60 seems the ideal output size for the S2 at 37.5 MP. Actually, if you print a 40x60 from the P45+, because of aspect ratio, you'd only get 34.6 MP. Not a huge loss of information, but the S2 will make at least as good a print at this size, if not a touch better. Of course, we will have to wait a few more months to see for sure.

    David
    Thanks David yes I know your machines with there rip can pull amazing things off . I was thinking more on the lines of end users without a rip program and there Epsons. Here in town when I go big I usually send it to a place that has a Lambda. BTW Folks Dale labs Davids place does really nice printing and that should be noted.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  43. #193
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thanks David yes I know your machines with there rip can pull amazing things off . I was thinking more on the lines of end users without a rip program and there Epsons. Here in town when I go big I usually send it to a place that has a Lambda. BTW Folks Dale labs Davids place does really nice printing and that should be noted.
    Thanks for the plug, Guy!

    You can check out the lab side of things at http://www.iprintspro.com

    David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

  44. #194
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that Epson inkjets don't print at 300dpi. Their native resolutions are 360dpi and 240dpi. A lot of paper manufacturers (like Harman for the FB AL and so on) actually recommend that you print at 240dpi. If you do a test yourself and print at both resolutions, you will be very hard pressed to see a difference. Certainly, if you are printing a large print, you should set the resolution at 240dpi and you will get a larger file without interpolation, and in general, better results.
    300dpi is the standard only for professional lab printing, such as Chromira, LightJet and so on. It is best to talk to your lab and find out what the native resolution of the printer is, so that you can give them a proper file. Most of these machines will automatically convert the dpi on the fly if it is not already set up at the right size.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  45. #195
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    The M8 is 22x33cm, the S2 42x63cm and the P65+ is about 76x57cm @ 300ppi. Of course that's well known theory but in my experience, that's reality, the maximum for the most demanding situations and given the best lenses really delivering fine detail with good contrast and no visible abberations at all.
    Of course you can go below 300ppi, but the picture quality starts to decline visibly with fine detail. I print my M8-files up to DINA3+ (32x48cm -> 210ppi, slight loss in quality already visible) and use a fractal-based interpolation software, it works quite well on architecture (makes edges/borders "cleaner") - does it also work with "natural" structures without looking artificial- I have never tried it!?

    Not seeing the difference between 22MP-MF-sensor and M8/DMR? The lens on the Mamiya must have been pretty bad!? The M8/DMR+lenses give excellent prints, much better than other 10MP-cameras given by it's lack of abberations and smoth transitions but it can't do magic. In my experience <200ppi make every artifact clearly visible.

    Microlenses lower resolution or avoid moire? That seems very unlikely and far from my technical understanding of microlenses!? They can cause abberations or vignetting, but they have very little to do with the seperation from ony pixel to another (->resolution).

  46. #196
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California/Thailand
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    I started to mention native printer resolution as well, but decided I was too lazy. It's good that you brought this up, Stewart.

    However, Epson is not the only printer out there. I use Canon imagePROGRAF printers, which have a native resolution of (supposedly) 600ppi. Lots of experimenting has been done with the Canons using 300ppi files and 600ppi files, and there is a tiny difference. The higher rez files get huge and smoke starts to come out of my print server, so I try to print at 300 first in most cases.

    My point is mostly just a nit-pick, because I grow a bit weary of the "all Epson, all the time" print discussions. I know that they have the largest part of the market, but so does Windows have the largest part of the OS market. There are still alternatives. I scratched Epson off of my large format lists when I have to do the ink swaps or purges (even mini purges) to alternate black ink types for matte or semi-gloss papers. They have taken steps to improve this, and of course they have excellent inks, etc., but many printing discussions lose accuracy because they assume 360ppi native resolution (i.e. Epson) and other readers get some less-than-accurate info.

    Cheers ,

    Dale

    Edit to add: I should mention that I do not print with the Canon/OS print driver, but with the provided Photoshop export plug-in, which acts as a sort of mini-RIP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Epson inkjets don't print at 300dpi. Their native resolutions are 360dpi and 240dpi. A lot of paper manufacturers (like Harman for the FB AL and so on) actually recommend that you print at 240dpi. If you do a test yourself and print at both resolutions, you will be very hard pressed to see a difference. Certainly, if you are printing a large print, you should set the resolution at 240dpi and you will get a larger file without interpolation, and in general, better results.
    300dpi is the standard only for professional lab printing, such as Chromira, LightJet and so on. It is best to talk to your lab and find out what the native resolution of the printer is, so that you can give them a proper file. Most of these machines will automatically convert the dpi on the fly if it is not already set up at the right size.
    Last edited by Dale Allyn; 14th March 2009 at 13:08.

  47. #197
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Epson inkjets don't print at 300dpi. Their native resolutions are 360dpi and 240dpi. A lot of paper manufacturers (like Harman for the FB AL and so on) actually recommend that you print at 240dpi. If you do a test yourself and print at both resolutions, you will be very hard pressed to see a difference. Certainly, if you are printing a large print, you should set the resolution at 240dpi and you will get a larger file without interpolation, and in general, better results.
    300dpi is the standard only for professional lab printing, such as Chromira, LightJet and so on. It is best to talk to your lab and find out what the native resolution of the printer is, so that you can give them a proper file. Most of these machines will automatically convert the dpi on the fly if it is not already set up at the right size.
    Stuart

    Thank you very much for your technical information .
    I use EPSON printers .
    Many of my high end scans are done by SNAP STUDIOS .
    A well known professional studio here in my area. Using 848 scanners .
    The scans I get from them , no matter which format the source is , is 300dpi at LStarRGB V2 profile .
    I was never asked , what printers I use .
    So I am a bit worried about the resolution for printing on EPSON .
    Looking at EPSON driver specs , I find 2880 , 1440 , 720 , 360 , 180 dpi .
    Nothing of the kind of 300dpi or 240dpi .
    So I am confused about , what is the best method of transfeering files from the delivered 300dpi to 360dpi . I use CSPS4 and also GF6 .

    Jürgen

  48. #198
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Stuart

    Thank you very much for your technical information .
    I use EPSON printers .
    Many of my high end scans are done by SNAP STUDIOS .
    A well known professional studio here in my area. Using 848 scanners .
    The scans I get from them , no matter which format the source is , is 300dpi at LStarRGB V2 profile .
    I was never asked , what printers I use .
    So I am a bit worried about the resolution for printing on EPSON .
    Looking at EPSON driver specs , I find 2880 , 1440 , 720 , 360 , 180 dpi .
    Nothing of the kind of 300dpi or 240dpi .
    So I am confused about , what is the best method of transfeering files from the delivered 300dpi to 360dpi . I use CSPS4 and also GF6 .

    Jürgen

    Epson does natively not use 300dpi it uses 360 qand 180 or other multiples and fractions of that. My print lab uses Epson and Canon printers, but they say that Epson has advantages through their piezo elecric print heads because of finer adjustment of ink drops. I do not know, I simply trust them. And also Epson is better represented in Austria than Canon as far as my opinion goes, thus I would also buy an Epson printer if I would go for a large format printer myself. Just waiting to see their replacement of the 4880 to hold all inks at once, which is the biggest drawback of the current older series.

    I actually do not care about resolution for the printer in the moment, as I can assign any resolution to my scanned files, in the Flextight X5 I am simply scanning with highets resoltion and then I care only for the output format. The resulting resolution follows then automatically in PS and this is done by the printing lab.

    They are using some RIP in order to scale, but they do no upscale calculation, as they say the quality is better if I stay with lower resolution for large prints instead of running any SW over the file and artificially calculate a higher pixel count - no matter which SW. So I follow them here and I am really stunned from the results I see.

    Point is, the higher the resolution one can get out of the sensor, the larger the prints can go without any massaging og the file through post processing SW, thus I try to stay to that rule (as long as I can afford it).

  49. #199
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    I have good experience with multiples of 120dpi: 240,360,480,720 all works fine on my Epson printers. With 300 it seems that the image gets calculated and can lead to halos.
    If I print larger and need the size 240 works pretty good for me.

  50. #200
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: S2 and my impressions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Stuart
    Using 848 scanners .
    The scans I get from them , no matter which format the source is , is 300dpi at LStarRGB V2 profile .
    I was never asked , what printers I use .
    So I am a bit worried about the resolution for printing on EPSON .
    So I am confused about , what is the best method of transfeering files from the delivered 300dpi to 360dpi . I use CSPS4 and also GF6 .
    Jürgen, the resolution of the scan varies between scanners. For instance most of my drum scans are supplied to me at 4,000 pixels/inch.

    The important point is when finalising your print file and sizes you need to use 'Image Size' in Photoshop and set the resolution to 360 pixels/inch (or divisibles) before sending to the printer.

    Keith

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •