The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V1D concept camera

vjbelle

Its very exciting to see Hasselblad back making 'real' cameras. My IQ3100 could easily be my last Phase purchase......

Victor

Paul2660

Will never understand the love for square, I know, just me.

But since there appears to be no Sony Square sensor made, (or announced?), are they just cutting down a 100MP? sensor to create a square?

Or is it from another developer?

Do like the look however and the "modular" design.

Paul C

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Will never understand the love for square, I know, just me.
I really like the idea of a square sensor as for some reason I find it a very easy ratio to compose with. Hate 3:2 with a vengeance, 5:4 and 4:3 are much more harmonious for me. 1:1 is the way I see the world.

Looks like it is based on the new H lens range too. They didn't show the left side of the camera but I somehow doubt that they're including a remote cable release again as it no doubt ruins the aesthetics just like with the X1D :facesmack:

JeRuFo

Great news. A good idea to use the new lens line for different cameras. Plus this makes it more likely they'll expand the line quite extensively. I'm still hoping for a lens in line with the sonnar 110/2, it would make a great combo with a camera like that, plus it will add some character to the camera line. Not totally sold on the shape of the camera yet, but it's great to see them experimenting and I'm curious to see what the final product will look like when the concept cutesieness is turned into final design.

etrump

Would have preferred something like this in an XPAN format. 6x17 with optical corrected lens and I would have put money down already!

Jamgolf

I am really happy to see this vibrant outlook for medium format cameras and photography, with Fuji, Hasselblad and Phase One announcing and producing these photographic tools.
You want square, you got it. You want mirrorless, you've got options. You want resolution, you have choices to make.
Prefer electronic viewfinders, no problem. You want large & bright optical view finders, you've got them. Waist level - check.
Light weight kit or SLR style heavy duty kit or technical camera - make your choice.

If a 617 format hi-resolution camera comes along then MF would have the entire gamut covered.

Very excited about todays announcements !

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Pretty sure that if they built that V1D that there would be plenty of buyers. Heck, with the same lens system across both X1D and V1D they might even get repeat buyers for both.

The new Fuji looks like great competition. Let's see if Pentax pony up something new as well.

:thumbs:

Oh, and if an XPan / 617 style of sensor camera came along then I'd have my down payment in already too.

Jan

Would have preferred something like this in an XPAN format. 6x17 with optical corrected lens and I would have put money down already!
That's not called Hasselblad but Seitz. Be prepared to fork out a few dollars :eek:

Panorama camera Seitz 6x17 Digital

Alternatively, use a modern digital back and a digital slider.
The only downside, stitching in post. The upside, affordable. ;-)

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I really like the idea of a square sensor as for some reason I find it a very easy ratio to compose with. Hate 3:2 with a vengeance, 5:4 and 4:3 are much more harmonious for me. 1:1 is the way I see the world.
funny, I see the world in 3:1 or wider. I’m guessing 90% of my better images are pano.

I long for a digital fuji gx617 :)

I shot square for a long time, and to be honest the main reason it was done was so shooters didn’t have to turn the camera ... most images taken with a square hasselblad where never shown that way or printed that way.

This seems to be Hasselblad playing off the nostalgia mood that seems to be everywhere now ...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This seems to be Hasselblad playing off the nostalgia mood that seems to be everywhere now ...
Only true for those of us of a certain age .... the relics of youth ... spent or imagined ... seem more alive
than the decline we embody.

Bob

JohnBrew

If Hasselblad was sincere in showing this prototype to generate enough interest to consider production, then I'm in. My first camera way back in 1960 was square format and I miss it to this day.