The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fuji GFX

Anyone do a weight comparison? The Hasselblad is listed at 750 grams for body plus battery. I can't find the weight of the Fuji listed anywhere.

And I'm sure there's a good reason for that...
With comments like these it really seems like you're looking for justifications to stick with the 'Blad rather than finding any serious flaw with the Fuji. Especially when you think the Fuji will have shutter shock, and won't be built well (Thingness? You've never even handled either), based on absolutely no information and 100% conjecture. You could just say you want to own a Hasselblad because it's a Hasselblad. That's fine. But inventing deficiencies in the GFX is a waste of everyone's time. There are good reasons to own either, you don't have to dog the other to make your point.

The Fuji to me looks more like a professional platform and the Hasselblad looks more like a system focused on being as compact as possible. Both cameras have their place, it's all what you want to use them for. I wouldn't try to shoot a wedding with the Blad, and I wouldn't want the Fuji on an international trip.

Paul2660

good points on the shutter Shock, no mention if this camera will have electronic first curtain, type setup or not. But it does have a bit more mass then the A7r, which had the problem the worst.
Fuji since the X-T1 (maybe earlier) has offered the fully electronic shutter offering, so they may have this in the new camera. No shock with that.

Also cannot find any notes on video, may not offer video (not a big deal for me) but may be for others.

Paul C

on the fujirumors page there is one video that shows definitely: the GFX has an FPS.
there is even a guy who designed this shutter.

Yihaaaaa ! That was, what I was waiting for. Now the party can start.

Sorry Blad. Fuji 100 points. Blad Zero.
So the advantage of a focal plane shutter is the versatility to be used on a technical camera such like the Cambo Arctus?

The Fuji GFX seems to be a tad heavier than a Phase One/Leaf digital back though.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Why should that be ? It's pretty clear it's 850...
Because I spent the first hour after the release announcement trying to find that data, which was not in the press release at least initially. And it struck me that for those considering the Fuji as an alternative to the Hassy, whose weight was already published and is low, and whose early bird discount is about to run out (at my dealer at least) that if weight was an important factor and the Fuji was notably heavier, it might be discreet to leave the data out.

As it is, I see 800gr and 850gr bandied about in different places but little specificity as to whether that is with our without batteries and or EVF. Depending on the way those parameters combine it could easily end up being 950+ which might make it less attractive to some than the Hassy.

So the advantage of a focal plane shutter is the versatility to be used on a technical camera such like the Cambo Arctus?

The Fuji GFX seems to be a tad heavier than a Phase One/Leaf digital back though.
To ME the advantage is 1/4000th of a second. You could also say that an advantage is the ability to adapt any lens you want. There are like 6 people left using tech cameras and they are all on this site so I don't think that will make or break the Fuji's success.

Jamgolf

There are like 6 people left using tech cameras and they are all on this site so I don't think that will make or break the Fuji's success.
No way. You are severely underestimating number of tech-cam users.
Actual number might be 10X your estimate :)

V

Vivek

As it is, I see 800gr and 850gr bandied about in different places but little specificity as to whether that is with our without batteries and or EVF. Depending on the way those parameters combine it could easily end up being 950+ which might make it less attractive to some than the Hassy.
According to Ken Rockwell, the weight of Nikon 810 with battery is 965gms.

No big deal.

tashley

Subscriber Member
With comments like these it really seems like you're looking for justifications to stick with the 'Blad rather than finding any serious flaw with the Fuji. Especially when you think the Fuji will have shutter shock, and won't be built well (Thingness? You've never even handled either), based on absolutely no information and 100% conjecture. You could just say you want to own a Hasselblad because it's a Hasselblad. That's fine. But inventing deficiencies in the GFX is a waste of everyone's time. There are good reasons to own either, you don't have to dog the other to make your point.

The Fuji to me looks more like a professional platform and the Hasselblad looks more like a system focused on being as compact as possible. Both cameras have their place, it's all what you want to use them for. I wouldn't try to shoot a wedding with the Blad, and I wouldn't want the Fuji on an international trip.
Well here's my gentle riposte: the 'thingness' of a thing is indeed somewhat intangible and hard to judge without having handled either but in my opinion the Hassy *looks* like it has that intangible thing and I can tell from the pictures of the Fuji that for me at least, it won't. That's my personal feel for thingness, for a camera that feels like it isn't another cookie cutter design that looks like all the others in the dealers' windows. It isn't logical, I clearly admitted that. But for me, for my anticipated use, it's a deficiency. Your mileage can vary by as much as you like and I wish you well with it.

I wasn't 'dogging' the Fuji at all as I think my post makes clear. A leaf shutter will, all things being equal, be less prone to shock than a FPS even if there is EFC, because even a physical rear curtain has to be triggered and start moving while the sensor is still being exposed. I *think* that's a fact, however marginal it might or might not prove to be in real world use. Also, and we will have to wait for more data, one might guess that the Sony sensor will give less DR with an EFC as is indeed the case with the A7RII when thusly deployed.

You are right that both will have their place - and I made clear that for my use-case, the Hassy looks more useful. But until both machines are tried and tested in full, none of us know and all of us are guessing. I'm fine with that. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be in a thread which by necessity is all about speculation.

D&A

Going by all I've seen and read of both systems and their current and future potential (as much as one can conjecture about future development based on specs), the Hassy and Fuji mirrorless mf systems will have somewhat divergent markets and of course the usual strengths and weaknesses...ie: tradeoffs, some of which will also be dependent on intended use and ones own preferences. As we know all too well, it's when some of us gets hands one or both these systems and puts them through their paces in actual use, providing useful "objective" feedback, will we begin to form valuable opinions. Think how often we either disparaged (maybe too strong a word in this context), or gushed over a new system, only to find operationally or otherwise, that our preliminary impressions just after such announcements are made, become quite different in time. I too consider myself guilty in this department. Neverless these recent develops in this market are certainly interesting, to say the least.

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

Also, and we will have to wait for more data, one might guess that the Sony sensor will give less DR with an EFC as is indeed the case with the A7RII when thusly deployed.
Tim, That is factually wrong. Get your facts right before drawing any conclusions.

photo570

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the most important feature of the GFX. In the video they have posted of the fashion shoot, the photographer is quite clearly shooting tethered to C1 PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, That is factually wrong. Get your facts right before drawing any conclusions.
DPReview amongst others have noted that use of the EFC on the A7RII makes for noisier shadows. In my book (and in theirs) that means less effective DR. EFC also causes problems with fluorescent lights (not a problem for me) and can cause a rolling shutter effect too.

I believe those are all facts, and fairly straight ones.

In other words, EFC is not a 'free lunch'.

Neither is a leaf shutter. Clearly it allows higher flash sync speeds but it restricts maximum shutter speeds and it restricts which lenses can be adapted for use on a body that relies on leaf shutter lenses. I think we're most of us aware of most of this?

EDIT: as Vivek has so pithily pointed out below, I have in the above post mistakenly conflated EFC with silent shutter (electronic first and second curtain) shooting. I won't be doing that in public again....

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the most important feature of the GFX. In the video they have posted of the fashion shoot, the photographer is quite clearly shooting tethered to C1 PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought that was pretty significant too. I'm not going to get too excited yet because they could have just been shooting into a hot folder and using another converter but I somehow doubt that Fuji would have let the videos out showing the screens if it wasn't the real deal.

Time will tell ...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well here's my gentle riposte: the 'thingness' of a thing is indeed somewhat intangible and hard to judge without having handled either but in my opinion the Hassy *looks* like it has that intangible thing and I can tell from the pictures of the Fuji that for me at least, it won't. That's my personal feel for thingness, for a camera that feels like it isn't another cookie cutter design that looks like all the others in the dealers' windows. It isn't logical, I clearly admitted that. But for me, for my anticipated use, it's a deficiency. Your mileage can vary by as much as you like and I wish you well with it.
As regards 'thingness', I must say that the Fuji does look more like a 'usable' camera system with ergonomics oriented around real world use vs superb styling. I'll take those shaped grips and tactile buttons & dials over the sleek design of the HassySLAB any day. The EVF and tilt LCD screens too tick boxes on my list.

But as you say, best to sit back and wait and see what reality brings. Will the X1D be a lot faster in production form? Will the Fuji have the promised image quality? etc etc.