The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fuji GFX

What is the image circle for the Canon T/S 17mm? Will it work? How long until there is an adapter? :)
The Canon 17mm IC is 67mm, 33x44 has a diagonal of 55mm, so it's definitely big enough to cover unshifted, and also allow for some movements, the question is the acceptable range.
The lens has a native 12mm shift on FF35, and in terms of width 44mm is 8mm wider, so you have about 4mm of "intended" shift remaining horizontally, but a lot more vertically, which I reckon is what most people are interested in.

CSP

med

Very intriguing camera! I am a dual Fuji X/Hasselblad H shooter and this looks to go a long way to offering the best of both worlds. Some random thoughts:

-The EVF looks quite innovative and designed well. Neat that they designed a removable viewfinder that can orient itself in a few different configurations without compromising rigidity or hot shoe access by the looks of things. When installed it looks like it is part of the camera and not an "add-on". Reminds me of the interchangeable prisms the Nikon Fs had.

-I hope the responsiveness and EVF are improved over the X1D. Granted I handled an X1D on beta firmware so it may be much improved by now.

-I'm not expecting XT2-like autofocus, but I sure hope it is better than XPro1 at launch.

-Focus by wire is disappointing, but it has come a long way on the X series. I'm finding that the better the AF the less I need to focus manually, though, so if the AF is decent then it may not bother me that much.

-Interesting and awesome that they put Hasselblad style strap lugs on it, which is surprising given that Hasselblad themselves seem to have moved away from them. I always liked the design of those.

-Focal plane shutter only (for now?) is disappointing, but so was the leaf shutter only of the X1D. I want it all! Both have their strengths... it would be great if they offered some LS lenses in future. Also awesome would be some first-party adaptors from Fuji to use H lenses (or others, a la Leica S) with AF and shutter firing. They wouldn't even need to reverse engineer the protocol....

Well done Fuji! Competition is a good thing. It is nice to see so many exciting products in the MF space.

Paul2660

Fuji in their opening press conference stated the existing lenses were designed to accomidate 100MP resolution needs.

Not sure if Sony/Fuji see a 100mp 1:3 cropped chip in the future or if the IC of new lenses can take existing 100 mp 54 X 43 sensor such as the current 100MP Sony. For sure it won't happen anytime soon.

Paul C

D&A

Re: The Fuji

For the past many years I have heard countless of serious photograhers clamoring for an X-pan digital camera. I'm sure Fuji has also received this message and knows theres a willing and able market. Something tells me up to this time its not so simple as stiching togther sensors to achieve the necessary aspect ratio or it might have been rumored by now that its being considered for production. I do believe doing so is an evolutionary step and if their new mirrorlesss mf camera and system is a success, that an xpan digital might not be that far off.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Fuji in their opening press conference stated the existing lenses were designed to accomidate 100MP resolution needs.

Not sure if Sony/Fuji see a 100mp 1:3 cropped chip in the future or if the IC of new lenses can take existing 100 mp 54 X 43 sensor such as the current 100MP Sony. For sure it won't happen anytime soon.

Paul C
That's a new computer. Lol

iiiNelson

Re: The Fuji

For the past many years I have heard countless of serious photograhers clamoring for an X-pan digital camera. I'm sure Fuji has also received this message and knows theres a willing and able market. Something tells me up to this time its not so simple as stiching togther sensors to achieve the necessary aspect ratio or it might have been rumored by now that its being considered for production. I do believe doing so is an evolutionary step and if their new mirrorlesss mf camera and system is a success, that an xpan digital might not be that far off.

Dave (D&A)
i believe there's a 6:17 crop mode included on this camera along with 1:1, 4:5, 3:2, 16:9, 6:7, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Paul C
My personal opinion is that the next evolution of this chip will be a 55-75mp BSI version with silent shutter and EFCS capability

Stefan Steib

One thing: seen the Fuji yesterday in Cologne, looks very nice in Design, but even more impressive:
All six lenses were standing in Line and ready to be tested (for Journalists) on the camera.

This alone tells the story of why it is much easier to build FPS Lenses, compared to Leaf Shutter versions.

Regards
Stefan

thrice

DPreview said:
Despite the obvious similarities to the imaging chips used in the Pentax 645Z and other cameras, Fujifilm is insisting that this is a new, Fujifilm-developed sensor.
Well that is interesting...

Well that is interesting...
Chips are made using a manufacturing template, so as long as your modifications fit within the capabilities of the hardware without retooling, you can still make meaningful changes. Two years have passed since this chip hit the market, I'd sure hope that some headway in sensor tech was made in the meantime, quite possibly something that would aid them in making the sensor more applicable for use in a mirrorless camera.

Chris Giles

I saw the 110mm F2 and got all excited.

Mirroless 645z with an F2 lens. Haha zomg. Worth the undisclosed price point alone.

V

Vivek

Does anyone know if this would work with Leica M lenses (for a scuare format)?

this would give a scuare 36.8 mp image
Some weird looking adapters are possible for this camera. As long as the lens rear is ~18mm away from the focal plane, it will not interfere with the shutter operation.

gero

Some weird looking adapters are possible for this camera. As long as the lens rear is ~18mm away from the focal plane, it will not interfere with the shutter operation.
It should be possible. Leica M is supposed to be 27.8. It might be a weird looking adapter though.
Thank you, I would like to try the 15,12 & 10mm lenses in scuare format.

It woud have been good if the grip was detachable.

gmfotografie

"maybe" :rolleyes: or yes... it will work on cameras like the actus .... so other companies have to change their mind, sorry - their strategy

:cool:

More news:

Fujifilm knows that Autumn is approaching, and has seen the importance of the "leafs".

"There will be a range of adapters to connect third-party lenses to the GFX 50S, including leaf shutter lenses for studio and flash work."

I've often thought that the Hasselblad V lenses are perfect for adapting, if someone could just figure out how to fire and cock the central shutter, and optimize the sensor to catch that exposure. Hopefully we'll have that option. 60/3.5 Distagons anyone?

Now if I hear one more person complaining about leaf shutters I'm going to cr*p myself. :grin:

Source:

Fujifilm GFX 50S * The Facts & The Future.... and about Leaf Shutter Lenses, Electronic Shutter, "Fuji Designed" Sensor & more! - Fuji Rumors

med

I've often thought that the Hasselblad V lenses are perfect for adapting, if someone could just figure out how to fire and cock the central shutter, and optimize the sensor to catch that exposure. Hopefully we'll have that option. 60/3.5 Distagons anyone?
I know stacking adaptors isn't exactly ideal, but perhaps with a Hasselblad H adaptor one could utilize the existing very nifty CF adaptor Hasselblad made to fire C lenses on the H system?