The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fuji GFX

drevil

Staff member
i do not see any reason to call this camera vapoware or even a concept......the camera is neither just a 3d rendering, nor has it been just inside a glass cabinet at photokina....people can touch it...try out... and even some japanese photographers tried it out.

what they claim the camera can do and what it actually delivers, when it finally gets released, might be 2 different things....but for sure its no concept

what an electronic shutter is good for? somebody wants vibrationless actuation maybe?

Boinger

i do not see any reason to call this camera vapoware or even a concept......the camera is neither just a 3d rendering, nor has it been just inside a glass cabinet at photokina....people can touch it...try out... and even some japanese photographers tried it out.

what they claim the camera can do and what it actually delivers, when it finally gets released, might be 2 different things....but for sure its no concept

what an electronic shutter is good for? somebody wants vibrationless actuation maybe?
and use on a tech camera.

tjv

Didn't Hasselblad state that they could implement electronic shutter but that with this sensor the bit depth would drop to 10bit or something?

Seems a bit of a pain using one of these on a tech cam to me though, but then again I'm lucky to have a dedicated back for that purpose.

V

Vivek

Seems a bit of a pain using one of these on a tech cam to me though, but then again I'm lucky to have a dedicated back for that purpose.
Why? With two focus aids (EVF and LCD) both adjustable in their orientations combined with live view, it will make life easier to focus and compose.

and use on a tech camera.
Why?

V

Vivek

Please forgive me of my ignorance.
What does an electronic shutter bring to the table?
Is this helpful for flash sync?

Thank you for your patience.

Rick
From my experience with mirrorless cams in smaller formats, it is useful for discreet street shooting. No sound whatsoever.

There is no other advantage at all. The DR range drops (14 to 12, for example), there is banding under fluorescent lights and there is physical distortion of images of fast moving objects while total electronic (silent shutter) is employed.

CSP

The Fuji looks very capable, but the emphasis is on "looks", because none of the cameras with lenses have been released into the wild, even as demos. We are probably at least 6 months away from actual release. Right now, it's essentially a concept camera, so it's being imbued with magical qualities. I have seen this story play out many times. Nothing EVER matches the hype.
don´t understand what you want to suggest the moveable viewfinder and lcd will probably not disappear on the final version, same as the joystick and some other features which makes the fuji very very interesting for working photographers. and as far as i have learned in the last days fuji has announced nothing what they are not already delivering with their very successful aps -c cameras. but i think your comment fits perfect for the x1d, the rushed announcment a bluff, just to get ahead of fuji.....

tjv

Why a pain? Because of the smaller MF sensor plus lens / body bayonet restricting movments, particularly for flat stitching with wide-angle lenses. If that doesn't bother you, then I can only assume it'll perform as well as other DMF backs with the same sensor (assuming the microlenses aren't stronger.) The Canon lenses will hold up really well, I imagine, although not allow a ton of movement by some peoples standards. The bulk of the grip might also obstruct movement using wideish tech lenses on some cameras?

The EVF and focusing aids of course will be great to help for fast setup etc. Looks like a great camera, but personally I'm not interested in cobbling together adaptors and third party lenses etc on such a camera (but can see why others would find it attractive.) For 95% of people, I think this and the X1D will live or die on the native lens line up and general feature set / performance. Both companies seem to have a lot to prove. I'm interested to see how they both play out in the real world, although we might be waiting six months or so to see the Fuji.

Why? With two focus aids (EVF and LCD) both adjustable in their orientations combined with live view, it will make life easier to focus and compose.

CSP

I think this and the X1D will live or die on the native lens line up...
when you look at what made the sony a7r a success i´m not sure , i rather belief the camera which is able to adapt more non native lenses will be the winner in this game. i have zero problems shooting people work with manual focus on a7r2 which is btw faster than my h3d with focus and recompose and far more reliable ! both offers have limited lens lines. hasselblad has nothing announced what i would use, fuji is a little better but this situation will not change for a long time. from what i have learned talking with colleagues is that we want more versatile camera systems and both could fulfill our needs but right now the fuji has a clear advantage.

V

Vivek

It sure is going to shake up the MF segment like no other before.

The XD1 will live and die by its restricted lenses. That does not apply to the very versatile Fuji GFX.

CSP

It sure is going to shake up the MF segment like no other before.

The XD1 will live and die by its restricted lenses. That does not apply to the very versatile Fuji GFX.
yeah and i really wonder what ixxxts are in charge at hasselblad who have a hc lens adapter designed without a tripode mount ? looks like they wanted to even block the use of their own hts !

V

Vivek

Perhaps they will make one (tripod collar) available at additional cost at a later date. ;)

Never underestimate anyone! :LOL:

gero

From my experience with mirrorless cams in smaller formats, it is useful for discreet street shooting. No sound whatsoever.

There is no other advantage at all. The DR range drops (14 to 12, for example), there is banding under fluorescent lights and there is physical distortion of images of fast moving objects while total electronic (silent shutter) is employed.
If they could fix this problems, it would be revolutionary; you could have a camera back, a mount and a lens (any lens).
Any manual focus lens

vjbelle

Just happened to get an Email from Adorama with new stuff from Photokina and the X1D limited edition is retailing for $13,000.00 - without a lens!! I'm not afraid to spend a buck or two but that kind of got my attention......

Victor

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
No

The limited edition 4116 comes with the 45 and one more year of warranty for a total of three years ... so you pay about $1600 for black and the extra year. Not as
bad as it sounds ... considering this is a new camera. May be worth it for the warranty.

Bob

Will be selling for $13k when they get a working firmware and fix the overheating issue at some point in the future. (FIFY). I have a little more faith in the Fujifilm R&D department personally. The little 'Blad is very handsome but I haven't heard anyone report that they've tried one that is close to being complete.

jerome_m

The little 'Blad is very handsome but I haven't heard anyone report that they've tried one that is close to being complete.
The X1D has been out for demos and test for two months. The Fuji is still locked behind glass at Photokina. I don't think that the Fuji qualifies as "close to being complete" either.

Edit: apparently, some people could get the Fuji out of its cabinet. I did not see that when visiting Photokina.

Last edited:

docmoore

Will be selling for $13k when they get a working firmware and fix the overheating issue at some point in the future. (FIFY). I have a little more faith in the Fujifilm R&D department personally. The little 'Blad is very handsome but I haven't heard anyone report that they've tried one that is close to being complete.
Yes yes we get it ... your a Fuji guy.

As an aside I dropped my order for both and am moving back to the M Monochrom 246 .... clearly do not see for myself that 23 x 16 is that more compelling than 11 x 17 native at 360.

Most of the preview pictures to this point look pretty bland ... lots of resolution ... zero mojo.

If you need big big files and neutral imaging go for it ... but do not expect it to change your photographic life.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bob I have been a little skeptical on the Hassy glass as to being a little sterile and we are not sure of Fuji either. My buy finger has been off both of them because I just have this feeling they will go for the juggler on sharpness and not character. Right now I'm guessing at this but I don't guess wrong too often. I'm hoping I'm clearly wrong though. It's just too damn early to see what both of them have and tested by real craftsman and not pitch men. They really need me to do it. Arm up. Lol

docmoore

Guy

My thoughts to a T. I have downloaded every TIF and JPG I could find and cannot make them compelling enough in post to generate
any desire to move to those cameras.

They should get you involved ...

I would rather have an option to put a P67 105 F 2.4 with all its delicious aberrations on the camera than have a neutral piece of glass there.

Thanks

Bob