The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokina Phase One Announcements: IQ1 100mp, Lenses, IQ3 Kit Updates, C1 v9.3

MrSmith

That said, the fact that a $33k digital back comes with the same warranty as a toaster from Walmart (1 year RTM) is laughable.
I don't even think that's legal in the UK? (For sales to private individuals, it's legal with B to B transactions not B to C) should be 3-5 years I.e an acceptable timeframe.

Paul2660

Talked to a P1 rep at the Kina. He did have an upgrade price from my IQ160 towards the IQ1-100. 18k€+VAT. That values the IQ160 at around 7k€. Did not think that was such a great offer.
But he had a big table with all the upgrade prices, so there is something official.

I was a bit dissapointed by the P1 presence this year. Very small, cramped booth, and not much new to show. But it was the same for Leica.
I I understand. The upgrade from you 160 to a IQ3 100 was 18k euro? Personally I would be all over that. It was it for a IQ1 100?

If the former that is much better Thani was offered for the same deal earlier this year for my 260. Much better.

Paul C

miska

I I understand. The upgrade from you 160 to a IQ3 100 was 18k euro? Personally I would be all over that. It was it for a IQ1 100?

If the former that is much better Thani was offered for the same deal earlier this year for my 260. Much better.

Paul C
No, the offer was IQ160 -> IQ1-100.
I would have hoped that the offer would have been better than I would get on the free market. It is not obvious that this is the case (but I haven't looked at the used prices for an IQ160 - and I'd rather not, it may be too depressing :) )

f8orbust

Based on the list price of €30k for an IQ1-100:

If they are 'only' wanting €18k, that prices your IQ160 @ €12k, which is a great price for the IQ160.

If they are 'only' wanting €18k, and you say that prices your IQ160 @ €7k, that means the price of the IQ1-100 is €25k. Are they really discounting it by €5k on list ? If so, that's pretty good too.

Pics2

Digitalstore Vienna lists IQ1-100 at 32000€, VAT included. If they asked for 18000€ plus VAT= 21600€(20% VAT in Austria), it's than 10400€ for IQ160. Still not bad.

Marlyn

IQ160 -> IQ3100 is ~US$30k.
IQ160 -> IQ1100 is ~US$23k.

The pricing seems set by Phase, and no flexibility available.

Have to say though, having just played with a IQ3, with the WIFI, on a technical camera with tilts etc, the usage is REALLY nice. (Compared to my IQ160). The field workflow is like night & day. And an iPad mini or iPad Air in the field is a whole load lighter than an SP2 etc.

Add in the 5yr Warranty, couple of the other things, and yeah, I can see it. However, each to their own.

torger

Will there ever be another one ? One can really wonder, with Mamiya Leaf keeping such a low profile since the Credo50 2 years ago.

AFAIC : pricing, color profiles/processing pipeline, GUI
With Capture One 9.3 you can get the Leaf looks for IQ backs:
https://digitaltransitions.com/leaf-look-iq1-100mp-iq3-100mp/

That if something surely indicates that Phase One's intention is to get Leaf users to move to IQ, and that there will be no new Leaf products. But sure, why not? As I see it the main reason users chose Leaf was for the look, and if you can have the same look with IQ backs -- problem solved.

We'll there's the pricing of course, but it's better for Phase One to sell an expensive back than a cheap back, and I guess they have confidence enough that Leaf users won't go elsewhere anyway. IQ1 is the new budget series, so the "budget brand" Leaf is no longer needed.

Only my guesses of course, but I think the indications are pretty clear, at this point I would be surprised if a new Leaf product like a Credo 100 gets released.

f8orbust

Just going back over old ground here, but if my math is correct:

The IQ3-100 is $48k with an XF, a prime lens, a 5 year warranty and all the bells and whistles just announced (electronic shutter in particular), and those yet to be announced.

Since the XF is $8k, and the 35mm in $6.5k (if you choose that as the prime lens), that makes the IQ3-100 effectively $33.5k with a 5 year warranty and all the bells and whistles just announced (electronic shutter in particular), and those yet to be announced.

Now, the IQ1-100 is $33k without the 5 year warranty, nor any of the bells and whistles - either now or in the future.

So, a $500 saving.

Seriously ?

Ok, if you resell the XF and 35mm you're not going to get list prices, but for these two bits of highly desirable kit, new and under warranty, you're going to get back at least ~80% of list, so the IQ3-100 is going to end up costing you ~$3.4k more than the IQ1-100. And for that you get the 5 year warranty and all the other stuff.

At $33k, the IQ1-100 makes no sense to me. There's just not enough daylight between it and the IQ3-100. In fact, with dealer discounting, trade-ins etc. I'd imagine there could be a scenario where the price works out to be the same, or possibly the IQ3-100 works out to be less. C-R-A-Z-Y.

IMO the IQ1-100 should be, at the very most, $25k.

Just my 2c (or do I mean $8k ?)

Jim

Don Libby

I spoke with Dave Gallagher last Wednesday on an other matter and ended up ordering the IQ1-100. Got an email that he has it in his hands as of this morning and I will have it shortly. Yes, there's an upgrade path from the IQ180 however since there's been a very long term relationship with my dealer I may have gotten a slightly better deal; one of which I'm not comfortable in sharing.

In short - yes there's an upgrade path however I strongly recommend you contact your dealer for information and if you don't have a dealer then I recommend Capture Integration. Took 8-days from ordering to delivery to the dealer.

Don :clap:

Jamgolf

In short - yes there's an upgrade path however I strongly recommend you contact your dealer for information and if you don't have a dealer then I recommend Capture Integration. Took 8-days from ordering to delivery to the dealer.

Don :clap:
Congratulations Don !
8 days - that is pretty fast.

f8orbust

I spoke with Dave Gallagher last Wednesday on an other matter and ended up ordering the IQ1-100. Got an email that he has it in his hands as of this morning and I will have it shortly. Yes, there's an upgrade path from the IQ180 however since there's been a very long term relationship with my dealer I may have gotten a slightly better deal; one of which I'm not comfortable in sharing...
Anyone reading this going from an IQ1-80 --> IQ1-100 should contact CI and ask for the 'Don Libby deal' :thumbup:

Don Libby

Another update...

Been fighting a cold since we returned from our last trip so haven't felt like doing much of anything. However, got the new IQ1-100 yesterday and played with it for a little shooting mainly indoors low light. High ISO files are clean and crisp and the color is good. I've updated C1 as well as the XF and everything is working well together. I see this back helping to extend shooting into nightscape getting away from having to use a 7rII likewise I see this allowing me to get better files while I craw into cliff dwellings in low light. If I still shot with a tech cam I would have been all over the IQ3 however I don't and this suits my needs much better. The only person (outside of my wife) I need to please is myself and I'm very pleased with the IQ1-100.

I thought 80-megapixel had resolution - 100- blows that thought out of the water!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

The only person (outside of my wife) I need to please is myself and I'm very pleased with the IQ1-100.

I thought 80-megapixel had resolution - 100- blows that thought out of the water!
Under advisement from my banker I've just added Don (& Ken obviously) to my forum ignore list again :ROTFL:

kdphotography

Under advisement from my banker I've just added Don (& Ken obviously) to my forum ignore list again :ROTFL:
Geeez. All I did was suggest you buy a second Range Rover to make it easier to hold all your new camera gear.

Let me or Don know if you need any help picking out a color.

:ROTFL: