The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H6D accessory wish list

maxshafiq

Any recommendations for accessories for a H6D please?

In particular looking for recommendations on:

1. Tripod for travel (light weight but stable that can hold weight of MF camera and lens)
  2. Tripod head (What type/model)
  3. Any additional bracket or something (???) needed to hold the lens (for example 35-90) on a tripod? or is it suffice to have the lens mounted to a the camera and the camera attached to the trip? Would the weight of the lens cause any damage to the camera?

Anything else on a wish list?

Thx
Modify message

no problem regarding nr. 3, but a tripod base plate is recommended, such as Arca Swiss.

Nr. 2: depending on your shooting style and needs, i am using a geared Arca Swiss D4 (landscape, architecture, etc.) and a Z1 Ball head (portraits, etc.) with quick release by Flip Lock and L-bracket.

Nr. 1: many options available, I am using a carbon Manfrotto A-55 (? not sure which type exactly right now..)

Image is with 150mm though but same as with 35-90mm.
IMG_5025.jpg

maxshafiq

For #3. I was worried the weight of the lens might cause deforming/compression of the area where the lens attaches to the body. Good to hear the steel is stronger :)

I understand Hasselblad make a Tripod Quick Coupling H base plate too. Would that be more useful than the Arca Swiss base plate or same? Would I use one or the other or both? I don't know enough about either to decide :-(

Thanks

no problem regarding nr. 3, but a tripod base plate is recommended, such as Arca Swiss.

Nr. 2: depending on your shooting style and needs, i am using a geared Arca Swiss D4 (landscape, architecture, etc.) and a Z1 Ball head (portraits, etc.) with quick release by Flip Lock and L-bracket.

Nr. 1: many options available, I am using a carbon Manfrotto A-55 (? not sure which type exactly right now..)

Image is with 150mm though but same as with 35-90mm.
View attachment 121330

For #3. I was worried the weight of the lens might cause deforming/compression of the area where the lens attaches to the body. Good to hear the steel is stronger :)

I understand Hasselblad make a Tripod Quick Coupling H base plate too. Would that be more useful than the Arca Swiss base plate or same? Would I use one or the other or both? I don't know enough about either to decide :-(

Thanks
Well, if you choose the Arca Swiss head (D4, Cube, Z1) then your best option is the original plate from Arca Swiss which fits perfectly into the quick device on top of the head. They make a base plate exactly in perfect size for for H5D/H6D (long plate, ca 60mm long or so).

PedroL

1. Tripod for travel (light weight but stable that can hold weight of MF camera and lens)
  3. Any additional bracket or something (???) needed to hold the lens (for example 35-90) on a tripod? or is it suffice to have the lens mounted to a the camera and the camera attached to the trip? Would the weight of the lens cause any damage to the camera?

Thx
Modify message
Max - this set up will cost you probably $2,500.00 +/-. Than add $26,000.00 for H6D....

rmueller

Hi,

see below images for my setup

1. I use a Gitzo (model 1348 back then) tripod which i bought 1999, so its 16+ years old and
still working like a charm. I have my Linhof 4x5" mounted on it occasionally, no issues.
2. I use a Linhof ballhead which is really sturdy. You can adjust friction and thats pretty much it, simply
does its job for 10+ years now
3. I have standardized everything on the Hasselblad quick coupling plates. Why attach another plate to
the H if the camera already comes with a build-in plate. I prefer the HB over Arca Swiss because they
are more flat. The HB quick coupling plates are still order able from HB (#3045152).
It is ok to have the lens mounted to the camera, my biggest one is the 120 Macro which is quite heavy, no
issues with that.

In case you do a lot of shooting without the tripod you might want to consider something like this which really
helps holding the camera over a long period of time in your hands (especially with lenses like the 35-90 or 120):
https://www.calumetphoto.de/product/Hasselblad-Handschlaufe-Schnellkupplungsplatte-H/HAS3045154

Just my 2 cents,
Ralf

IMG_1031.JPGIMG_1030.JPG

Thx
Modify message

michaelclark

Max -

1. As for tripods, I have a slew of Gitzo tripods. The Gitzo GT2542 has been my go to lightweight tripod. Here is a link to that one:

http://www.gitzo.com/product/71837....Mountaineer_Tripod_Series_2_Carbon_4_sections

For heavy duty use and where I won't be hiking with it a lot. I also have the GT5541. It is beefy but about as good as tripods get and quite pricey as well.

http://www.gitzo.com/systematic-series-5-carbon-tripod-long-4-section-eye-level-gt5542ls

2. For tripod heads, the really Right Stuff ball heads are about as good as it gets. I'd highly suggest the BH-55 in whatever configuration you want. Also, the RRS tripods are awesome as well. A great, but more expensive, alternative to the Gitzo pods. The Kirk BH-1 is also a great ball head.

3. For brackets, I have the Really Right Stuff L-bracket for the H series cameras. It works great with any of the above ball heads. I don't have any other lens support and so far it seemed fine. I have the heavy 50-110 lens and it seems ok on a tripod without a bracket to support it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Michael

Thx
Modify message

maxshafiq

Thanks Michael,

I am as a matter of fact looking into the RRS BH-55 and may even go with one of the same branded tripods, as well as the L bracket.

Nice knowing no need for additional support for the heavy lenses.

Thx

Max -

1. As for tripods, I have a slew of Gitzo tripods. The Gitzo GT2542 has been my go to lightweight tripod. Here is a link to that one:

http://www.gitzo.com/product/71837....Mountaineer_Tripod_Series_2_Carbon_4_sections

For heavy duty use and where I won't be hiking with it a lot. I also have the GT5541. It is beefy but about as good as tripods get and quite pricey as well.

http://www.gitzo.com/systematic-series-5-carbon-tripod-long-4-section-eye-level-gt5542ls

2. For tripod heads, the really Right Stuff ball heads are about as good as it gets. I'd highly suggest the BH-55 in whatever configuration you want. Also, the RRS tripods are awesome as well. A great, but more expensive, alternative to the Gitzo pods. The Kirk BH-1 is also a great ball head.

3. For brackets, I have the Really Right Stuff L-bracket for the H series cameras. It works great with any of the above ball heads. I don't have any other lens support and so far it seemed fine. I have the heavy 50-110 lens and it seems ok on a tripod without a bracket to support it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Michael

maxshafiq

Ralf,

Thanks for your suggestions. I checked out the link for the hand holding accessory and must say never seen that attachment before. I am not even sure how to use it :)

Hi,

see below images for my setup

1. I use a Gitzo (model 1348 back then) tripod which i bought 1999, so its 16+ years old and
still working like a charm. I have my Linhof 4x5" mounted on it occasionally, no issues.
2. I use a Linhof ballhead which is really sturdy. You can adjust friction and thats pretty much it, simply
does its job for 10+ years now
3. I have standardized everything on the Hasselblad quick coupling plates. Why attach another plate to
the H if the camera already comes with a build-in plate. I prefer the HB over Arca Swiss because they
are more flat. The HB quick coupling plates are still order able from HB (#3045152).
It is ok to have the lens mounted to the camera, my biggest one is the 120 Macro which is quite heavy, no
issues with that.

In case you do a lot of shooting without the tripod you might want to consider something like this which really
helps holding the camera over a long period of time in your hands (especially with lenses like the 35-90 or 120):
https://www.calumetphoto.de/product/Hasselblad-Handschlaufe-Schnellkupplungsplatte-H/HAS3045154

Just my 2 cents,
Ralf

View attachment 121346View attachment 121347