The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SK Blue Ring 150mm f/2.8 LS

Mikec

While the Hasselblad X1D delay isn't a big surprise, I wanted to share the rare experience. I was about to buy the non-LS 150mm. Then the BR got announced. Amazingly, I'll be receiving it by the end of this week.

Once again, Steve at CI exceeded my expectation. Thank you!

I expect this to be my most used focal length and am looking forward to learning this lens.

ejpeiker

I had a similar experience from Digital Transitions with the blue ring 40-80. Even though Phase said they wouldn't be shipping for a few more weeks when they announced them and I was willing to wait rather than get the older non-blue ring version, I got mine right away, a month before I expected it. :)

DrakeJ

Just got mine. Will test it in detail against the 150/2.8 and 150BR/3.5 next week.

Two quick snapshots to show the full size.

Hm here on the iPhone they had the right orientation.....
Excellent, look forward to your comparison. I'm quite happy with the 150/2.8 without LS. Although I'd like to have the LS, it looks as if the new lens is too heavy to use handheld which is a shame. Wish they just slapped a leaf shutter onto the old 2.8 design.

Mikec

Eeek! It looks huge.

However, I'm prepared to deal with the size since I'm a sucker for great image quality.

kdphotography

*wow*---enter another big lens from Phase Schneider. No doubt in my mind it will be an excellent performer. Not too sure I want to add another "big lens" to replace my 150LS (just adding the blue rubber band now ;)) The 150 2.8 D was great, but I really enjoy having the leaf shutter with strobes. Only downsides I see on this new 150LS variant is size/weight and slightly slower LS flash sync at 1/1000th compared to the 1/1600th with the 150LS 3.5.

Size/weight might not make too much difference for me since I try to put the XF on a tripod or stand most of the time. I'll have to try it at Pigs/CI in the Southwest and see.....

ken

Steve Hendrix

Yes, it is expensive, and yes, it is large and heavy (3.5 pounds). But size/weight/cost are throwing you off, you may have wandered into the wrong arena.

A lot of times I conduct quick little tests on products. These are not the painstakingly prepared, detailed tests that we often publish, the only objective is to inform me so I can advise my clients accurately.

Last week, I stepped outside our door to compare 150mm lenses for a client who will mainly use it for landscape.

It's not a great test, or a perfect test, but it told me what I wanted to know to some degree, which is how the new 150/2.8 LS compares to the other leaf shutter options at that focal length.

* Schneider 150mm/2.8 LS Blue Line Lens
* Schneider 150mm/3.5 LS Blue Line Lens
* Schneider 75mm-150mm LS Blue Line Zoom Lens (@150mm)

I did not test the Phase One 150mm/2.8 AF Lens, as it was not a candidate for this client, but while I prefer it to the Schneider 150mm/3.5 Leaf Shutter, the reasons are: price, speed, better control of CA at wide aperture. Otherwise, I find them optically fairly equivalent.

The results to my eye show that the Schneider 150mm/2.8 Lens outperforms the other lenses, in fact, at f/2.8, the Schneider 150mm/2.8 outperforms the other lenses at f/11.

So, like I said, not a perfect, exhaustive test, but based on what I saw, the Schneider 150mm/2.8 may have the potential to be another comparatively elite optic in the same way the Schneider 35mm/3.5 LS that was launched last year is. A new bar may have been set.

raw files are available via the DropBox link below. The jpg shows the entire scene, note the red outline and arrows that will guide you to the most informed elements of the scene for resolution inspection.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5100qg1g0418uov/AADzDLv7FNlCyhrhu-k2gmnPa?dl=0

Steve Hendrix/CI

SK 150 2.8 at f2.8.jpg

dnercesian

Steve, your tests are great, ant the data is easy to follow and very useful. Your blog entries have been informative to me several times, including on the purchase I am currently making with you guys. Just wanted to say great work and thank you for all the effort. It makes a difference.

kdphotography

I hate you, Steve.

Soooo, what kind of deal can we work out for my Phase Schneider 150mm 3.5 LS for the new Schneider 150mm LS 2.8?

I'll even include two blue rubber bands....

:ROTFL:

DrakeJ

Yes, it is expensive, and yes, it is large and heavy (3.5 pounds). But size/weight/cost are throwing you off, you may have wandered into the wrong arena.
That's a weird statement. It rings true if all you shoot is landscape. But 150mm is a portrait lens as well, and Phase even says so in their description.

I argue that a 3.5 pound lens on an XF is not for the faint of heart to use handheld. Do you think we've wandered into the wrong arena if we shoot people handheld sometimes?

Steve Hendrix

That's a weird statement. It rings true if all you shoot is landscape. But 150mm is a portrait lens as well, and Phase even says so in their description.

I argue that a 3.5 pound lens on an XF is not for the faint of heart to use handheld. Do you think we've wandered into the wrong arena if we shoot people handheld sometimes?

Sorry if that came across weird.

I was simply trying to say that if size/weight/cost are important factors for someone, then this system may not be the most appropriate option. I was struggling with an analogy, but that was really all I was saying, so it would apply really to anyone, it wouldn't matter what you were shooting. But to your point, for handheld, the statement is even more relevant. We're saying the same thing, you just stated it with more clarity.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Mikec

I do plan on hand holding the XF + this 150mm lots. I will post my experience after shooting with it for a bit.

Chipcarterdc

I'll be really interested to hear first-hand impressions about handholding this beast. Looking at the specs, it looks like it weighs more than the 240mm Blue Ring, which I have and which is very challenging to hand hold for any length of time. The 150mm, however, looks to be significantly shorter (and fatter) which might affect the balance and stability when handholding.

Christopher

It's late over here but I can post a picture of both lenses tomorrow.

I haven't use it much yet, but handholding works. All three lenses 35/150/240 have a similar feeling in terms of weight. I do a lot of hiking and often carry the XF in my hand so far mostly with 55/80/150;3.5 - sometimes with the 35 - the 240 and 150 are certainly on the heavy side.

More Infos once i had more time with the lens.

I'll be really interested to hear first-hand impressions about handholding this beast. Looking at the specs, it looks like it weighs more than the 240mm Blue Ring, which I have and which is very challenging to hand hold for any length of time. The 150mm, however, looks to be significantly shorter (and fatter) which might affect the balance and stability when handholding.

Christopher

Just a short update. I hoped to test them outside, but it's raining crazy here..

So my first impressions inside. (I'm sorry for all the alcohol in the picture... but I needed stuff to fill the corners ;) )

I will upload the raw files in the furture but on this connection the JPGs alone took forever...

Overview
View attachment 121537

150LS 3.5 @ 3.5
View attachment 121536
150 2.8 @ 2.8
View attachment 121535
150LS 2.8 @ 2.8
View attachment 121534

150LS 3.5 @ 3.5
View attachment 121540
150 2.8 @ 2.8
View attachment 121539
150LS 2.8 @ 2.8
View attachment 121538

kdphotography

Ok, I hate you too, Christopher. ;)

How does the new 150mm 2.8 LS feel hand-held? I know this is totally subjective, but balance with a big lens is a consideration---and that's with the XF, not a lightweight platform either.

I've gotten away with some great shots handheld with other Phase SK large lenses---the 40-80LS and 240LS. I also feel that the AF performance of the XF helps tremendously in this regard. I'm usually on a tripod, but don't think I'd want to do extended handheld shooting with these big lenses.

Ken

Christopher

Ok, I hate you too, Christopher. ;)

How does the new 150mm 2.8 LS feel hand-held? I know this is totally subjective, but balance with a big lens is a consideration---and that's with the XF, not a lightweight platform either.

Ken
Honeslty, I can't say so far. I had it for 3 days and only did some minor testing. It feels great, but big. I have to say the 240 feels better handheld. I will report back after I collected further impressions.