The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF Feature Update #3

Mgreer316

Install Update #3 requires that Update #2 was performed. I'm assuming I have Update #2 installed, but how do I know? My XF is running 2.01.2. From that, can I conclude that Update #2 has been done?

Mgreer316

OK, now I'm confused. I went to Phase One's website and looked up Update #2. It said it contained firmware version FW2.00.15.fwr. So I assume that's the latest. But my version exceeds that. Mind you, my XF is driving a Credo back. So I wonder whether that accounts for the different version numbering? Anybody have a clue?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Install Update #3 requires that Update #2 was performed. I'm assuming I have Update #2 installed, but how do I know? My XF is running 2.01.2. From that, can I conclude that Update #2 has been done?
If you have any questions or problems during your firmware updating please consult your dealer.

Mgreer316

Hmm.... It looks like I do have the latest firmware version on my XF. So I copied the CP3.01.11.fwp file to a CF card, inserted it in my Cred 60 back, turned on the back, went to the install upgrade screen, and tried to perform the upgrade. But the back is reporting "Cannot find any valid firmware on card". So I'm wondering if the Credo needs a different file to upgrade the XF?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hmm.... It looks like I do have the latest firmware version on my XF. So I copied the CP3.01.11.fwp file to a CF card, inserted it in my Cred 60 back, turned on the back, went to the install upgrade screen, and tried to perform the upgrade. But the back is reporting "Cannot find any valid firmware on card". So I'm wondering if the Credo needs a different file to upgrade the XF?
For your case... The single-package-for-all-backs doesn't apply to the Credo currently. You need the XF only package:
http://dtdch.com/downloads/XF3.00.41.FWR.zip

Mgreer316

Yep, I got it resolved with my dealer. But I don't think you understand why I'm posting. I'm posting for the benefit of others with Credo backs so they don't waste their time. Plus, as an XF owner I'm learning how Phase One does things. I didn't know that to upgrade the camera, I need to know whether the upgrade is packaged for specific backs. I assume that other might not know that either. So I'm sharing my discoveries. That's what these forums are for.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yep, I got it resolved with my dealer. But I don't think you understand why I'm posting. I'm posting for the benefit of others with Credo backs so they don't waste their time. Plus, as an XF owner I'm learning how Phase One does things. I didn't know that to upgrade the camera, I need to know whether the upgrade is packaged for specific backs. I assume that other might not know that either. So I'm sharing my discoveries. That's what these forums are for.
No problem. Love it! Just wanted to make sure you got a quick answer and support at hand in case you had additional followup questions or issues.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've been playing with the electronic shutter - first rate! But I can't find the Dark Frame control in the menu (despite the picture CI shows!) nor the B and T settings.

I can ask my dealer tomorrow but can anyone clarify?

dchew

Bill,
Not sure about B and T, but the dark frame control is the tiny little moon icon above the live view button. Each time you tap it it cycles between ghost (as needed), lit up (always on). And x'd out (off).

Dave

Arjuna

Bill

I think that it is on the ES screen: see Stefan Steib's post #36 on the Electronic Shutter thread; there is picture of the screen.

Ross

Paul2660

Cross posted, but the doc issue always both disappoints me and frustrates me.

Documentation, is one area that Phase One IMO could improve on dramatically.

I agree that the videos are basically for sales only, not tech as they don't tell you how to do anything they just show it in operation.

The ES implementation is another area that is very vague in that:

1. It's totally different between tech camera and XF and features shown.
2. The ability to turn off the dark frame is not possible on the XF (unless you are in time-lapse mode) and this is never stated clearly
3. Marketing notes seem to imply that on the tech camera once you take the one dark frame you are done, again not true, as if
change shutter speed by even 1/3 of a stop you will be asked to shoot another shot to a lens cap
4. Several Marketing publications show C1 screen shots when referring to the ES shutter implementation for the XF, not the actual
screen of the XF.
5. Only through trial and error did I realize that with the ES on the XF, I can't turn off the dark frame in single exposure mode (or maybe it's
being done automatically on the XF?)

But as far as I know, no manual was created for any of these new features. "ask your dealer" tends to be a response. Sure your dealer should be a great resource, but it's not an excuse for not creating a simple pdf that tell a users how to implement these new features, just like a "manual" would show. It would have taken a tech writer maybe a couple of hours to write up a step by step process list with pictures for these new features.

But feature set 2 was handled the same way, so this is nothing new. (the lack of doc's handling the focus stacking feature is another example and even today, it's still not totally clear how to use this feature. I have never seen a single point by point listing of the exact series of steps to take to set the near and far point. But enough has been written on this site by users it's possible to figure it out.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
But as far as I know, no manual was created for any of these new features. "ask your dealer" tends to be a response. Sure your dealer should be a great resource, but it's not an excuse for not creating a simple pdf that tell a users how to implement these new features, just like a "manual" would show. It would have taken a tech writer maybe a couple of hours to write up a step by step process list with pictures for these new features.
I agree more and better documentation from Phase One would be very welcome.

Until then, we always welcome your calls/emails/texts in addition to doing what we can to stay present on the forums to answer questions. :salute:

Paul2660

I agree more and better documentation from Phase One would be very welcome.

Until then, we always welcome your calls/emails/texts in addition to doing what we can to stay present on the forums to answer questions. :salute:
Doug,

No negative was meant towards you, I hope that was understood. I readily applaud the work you and your team did, as the work done by CI.

My only point is that Phase One to me handled this feature update, just like they did with #2, parsing very little info to the field themselves, which is not like any other camera company I am used to working with. In fact DSLR companies tend to over load the documentation part as they don't have as strong a dealer channel as Phase One. I understand the "dealer" model. However I found the initial Phase One literature that was published on the ES and control over the dark frame to be both limited and confusing to implementation. All of which could have been solved by either a simple 5 minute video going through the steps for each new tool one by one, or a document with pictures step by step. I know I am just a single voice in the wilderness on this, but I have followed the Phase path since 2008 and have really never seen very good or easy to follow doc's from them, the doc on the XF was like a flow chart from a computer program. I am sure some found that helpful, I personally did not. And voicing this to Phase One, IMO is next to impossible beside outlets such as this one and feedback given to dealers. NOTE, wrong place but Oh Well, a classic example of this, is the Tech camera and IQ100 useage. It got off to a terribly bad start for whatever reason, and never was really handled in a positive manner. Only from feedback from actual users did the word start to get around that the image quality was not that bad in in fact it's excellent. Phase One has a close relationship with Alpa, and thus could have easily again created a short video, etc. Gotten in front of the issue instead of letting get so negative. I bet if you took a poll, the most photographers using digital and tech still feel that the CMOS/Tech solution is just non viable and that is not the case what so ever. In actuality, I feel the Tech/IQ100 solution is actually better than with the previous CMOS 50MP chip. You never get a 2nd chance to make a first impresstion!

I did read the initial release notes, day of release and all they showed at that time were how to install the firmware, which by the way was very well written. Just would have preferred to see the same on actual use of new feature set.

And one other note, it's not as if Phase did not have time as the actual firmware has been in dealer/phase beta for several months.

Paul C

Mgreer316

I agree with Paul. I'm working with CI with my TTL issues and they have been awesome. But it seems weird to have to work through a dealerfir something that should be in a manual. Right now, I don't even know if I have a problem because I don't know if I'm using it correctly because there are no instructions! Maybe the problem is I'm doing it wrong. Or maybe it sucks. I don't know.