The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF Feature Update #3

yaya

Just re-posting as I fear this may have gotten lost earlier in this thread

Please have a look at the updated manual https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain/Manuals/Manuals_XF.aspx On page 61 there is some further information on how to use Profoto lights and page 54 explains how to use the ES.

Hope this helps

Yair

PS the manual gets regular updates as new features are added. I'll see if we can make a note of that on the main product page as it can save some frustration on your side...

Mgreer316

Ok Yair, I just finished reading the Flash Photography section of the updated manual. That did help, but it still needs more. For instance, it doesn't explain how TTL works. It explains how to switch from manual to TTL, but it doesn't describe the process to work the system. I know how eTTL works on Canon systems. They explain technically how the system works so you know exactly what happened when/if it fails. They explain how the camera's metering mode effects the TTL results, what their eTTL system looks for, etc. Then they explain how to use it. They also explain the role of the pre-flash. Speaking of which, your manual explains how to switch from manual to pre-flash. But nowhere that I could did it explain why one would switch from manual to pre-flash. I'm assuming the pre-flash is used in TTL to meter. But I'd like that confirmed.

I need to know these things because thus far, my TTL results are all over the map in a controlled test environment. So I need to know whether I'm not using it right or the system currently is lacking. The manual helped a little, but there are still questions.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

If I understand the manual correctly, you can only turn off Dark Frame calibration when the IQ3-100 is off the XF camera. It cannot be done on the XF. So it's only for tech cam users.

Right?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If I understand the manual correctly, you can only turn off Dark Frame calibration when the IQ3-100 is off the XF camera. It cannot be done on the XF. So it's only for tech cam users.

Right?
Put in timelapse mode, disable dark frame (settings in the top left) set quantity of images to 1. Fire away.

Paul2660

Put in timelapse mode, disable dark frame (settings in the top left) set quantity of images to 1. Fire away.
Works great if you want all the exposures to be the same. And to be totally honest use of this back in a timelaspe setup is not very practical. I realize that DT has invested a lot of resources in new apps for time lapse but the IQ 100 has no mic port so everything is silent. I realize that 4K timelaspe is possible with the IQ100 but the vast majority of time lapse is being done with a totally different set of equipment. I also don't expect to see many of videographers to start using the H6D just because it has 4K with sound. There are just too many other cheaper alternatives that will produce similar if not better overall results.

But not practical in many non timelaspe environments in outdoor shooting.

Why was the XF not given the same freedom as the tech camera?? No one seems to either want to answer this or can answer this. Simple question if one camera can do it why can't the other.

Paul C

gerald.d

No mic port?

Nobody records audio whilst shooting a timelapse. Think about it... ;)

And forget 4K. 12K timelapse is possible with this back. It is incredible for timelapsing. There are really only two downsides. Firstly, frame rate is slower that you would want for some circumstances, and secondly, with - if I understand this correctly - the need to shoot a new dark frame every time the exposure settings change, "holy grail" day-to-night timelapse would need an interval of greater than 2x exposure time.

gerald.d

Is this correct? I was under the impression that the first frame in a timelapse sequence has a dark frame, and whenever the exposure settings change, a new dark frame is required?

DrakeJ

Is saving custom setups locked to specific IQ backs? The custom save menu does not appear on my IQ180 after updating to firmware #3.

DrakeJ

Holy smokes, I love the XF Profoto remote. Keeps showing the relative power level you've set and shows in red when you exceed min or max power. Too bad you still have to switch to an external remote when you exceed the relatively short range.

yaya

Ok Yair, I just finished reading the Flash Photography section of the updated manual. That did help, but it still needs more. For instance, it doesn't explain how TTL works. It explains how to switch from manual to TTL, but it doesn't describe the process to work the system. I know how eTTL works on Canon systems. They explain technically how the system works so you know exactly what happened when/if it fails. They explain how the camera's metering mode effects the TTL results, what their eTTL system looks for, etc. Then they explain how to use it. They also explain the role of the pre-flash. Speaking of which, your manual explains how to switch from manual to pre-flash. But nowhere that I could did it explain why one would switch from manual to pre-flash. I'm assuming the pre-flash is used in TTL to meter. But I'd like that confirmed.

I need to know these things because thus far, my TTL results are all over the map in a controlled test environment. So I need to know whether I'm not using it right or the system currently is lacking. The manual helped a little, but there are still questions.
This webinar might help clearing things up :https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/5973462333501993218

kdphotography

Not really interested in the TTL part as I don't use it often with my Canon---but still good information to know. Will a webinar be held at a later date? This one is a bit quick for my schedule....Looks like good info on the Profoto update