The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The significance of the X1D and the GFX…

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

In a short time both Hasselblad and Fuji released new MFD systems. These systems are different but they have much in common.

What I see is interesting is that the new system is based on what Fuji calls the G-format, that is the 44x33 mm sensor size. Both systems are designed around that sensor size. Both vendors choose a mirrorless design, with Hasselblad going the "leaf shutter" route and Fuji going with a focal plane shutter. Those choices are important. A leaf shutter keeps down vibrations and allows for short flash sync times. A focal plane shutter allows for a wide choice of lens options.

Both systems are somewhat limited by the Sony 44x33 mm sensor lacking phase detection AF.

Both systems have purpose designed lenses for the 44x33 sensor, that makes a lot of sense as the flange distance is short on the new cameras. The lenses can be made smaller and it may be possible that the short flange distance is advantageous for some lenses. Still, I don't think we are going to see "Biogon like" designs as the large beam angles from the Biogon don't play well with present sensor designs.

Fuji indicates that the lenses are good enough for 100 MP, and I assume that the next generation of the 44x33 sensor will resolve quite a bit higher than 50 MP. I would also be pretty sure that next generation of the sensor will offer on sensor phase detection and "silent shutter", that is electronic first and second shutter curtain. That would allow the D1X to use third party lenses and also allow the D1X to be used on bellows type cameras.

Fuji probably needs an electronic first shutter curtain to keep vibrations down, but they perhaps have developed a very low vibration focal plane shutter?

In both cases the lenses are small and my guess is that all lenses are of very high optical quality. Fuji has always been known for good lenses and Hasselblad publishes MTF data on the lenses and the two MTF data sets I have seen were very good.

I guess that both these camera systems have a great future, expanding the medium format market and offer an alternative to full frame 645 based systems at a much lower cost.

In a way, compare to Canon or Nikon. They both have full frame and APS-C, but high end lenses are mostly full frame. Fuji doesn't play full frame 24x36, but they excel at APS-C. To achieve a real step upwards in image quality they go 44x33 mm, and optimise a new system around that size of sensor.

I am not a potential buyer for either system, but I still see both as a major development holding a great promise.

Best regards
Erik