The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

macbook pro (early 2011) tethering P65+ issues

robdeszan

Hello,

I am having trouble tethering (via firewire) my P65+ back (5.2.2) to a macbook pro (early 2011) with MacOS Sierra. The back is set up to use battery as the power source. I am using a 5m 800 to 400 Neet firewire cable to connect to the mac. The back is not recognized in Capture One 9; it is also not visible in the firmware updater 3.3 software. Once the back is connected it freezes, none of the buttons work and the battery has to be taken out in order to switch the P65+ off and restart it. The back is not visible in Capture One either.

The same back works fine with my PC in all of the above scenarios; the only difference is a different cable (400 to 400 supplied with the back); however, the 5m 800 to 400 Neet firewire cable tests fine on another device when connected to the Macbook pro so both the cable and the firewire port on the macbook seem fine.

Is this a software compatibility issue? Does sierra have issues with Firewire connections? If so, what MacOS will provide full compatibility with the back Capture One 9 and 2011 macbook pro, please?

Many thanks,
Pat

Satrycon

Sierra has a lot of crap problems...anyways upgrade capture one pro to 9.3 then it should work fine with macOS Sierra.

from their site >>"From our initial testing, we DO NOT recommend upgrading to macOS Sierra at this time, due to a number of compatibility issues with Capture One Pro, most notably affecting camera USB connectivity. "

https://twitter.com/PhaseOnePhoto/status/783206188490059778

Hello,

I am having trouble tethering (via firewire) my P65+ back (5.2.2) to a macbook pro (early 2011) with MacOS Sierra. The back is set up to use battery as the power source. I am using a 5m 800 to 400 Neet firewire cable to connect to the mac. The back is not recognized in Capture One 9; it is also not visible in the firmware updater 3.3 software. Once the back is connected it freezes, none of the buttons work and the battery has to be taken out in order to switch the P65+ off and restart it. The back is not visible in Capture One either.

The same back works fine with my PC in all of the above scenarios; the only difference is a different cable (400 to 400 supplied with the back); however, the 5m 800 to 400 Neet firewire cable tests fine on another device when connected to the Macbook pro so both the cable and the firewire port on the macbook seem fine.

Is this a software compatibility issue? Does sierra have issues with Firewire connections? If so, what MacOS will provide full compatibility with the back Capture One 9 and 2011 macbook pro, please?

Many thanks,
Pat

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
My bet is the newest Sierra OS. How far should I downgrade? Maverick? ElCaptain?
you are running C1 version 9.3? There were some initial compatibility problems with Sierra, but 9.3 supposedly resolved all of those.

I would be surprised if it was Sierra, I don’t think Sierra changed any of the underlying architecture for supporting Firewire. But you never know, firewire is getting a little long in the tooth so perhaps it’s something they did that really wouldn’t get tested since it applies to such a small number of the user base.

What puzzles me is the question about downgrading. What version were you running before the upgrade and problems? I assume this is something that broke only when you upgraded to Sierra.

BTW, you might want to try a different FW cable. Also, the limit on FW 400 is 4.5 meters, doesn’t seem like the extra half meter would be a problem, but you never know. You can use a cable with an active repeater to extend the length.

Another thing to try, if you can get your hands on a TB ->FW adaptor you could try that.

Stefan Steib

use a firewire hub. This is a problem of the last firewire implementations of Apple in the MBPs and can be definitely solved with additional powering the ports supply.

I am taking nearly any bet. This has got nothing to do with the software.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

(and yes I used one for my MBP Late 2011 and my back then p45+)

robdeszan

A quick update, turns out that the cable (by Neet company, FireWire 800 Cable - (5m) - 9 Pin to 6 Pin) was either defective or not compatible (too long?) with the back.

An 800 to 400 Firewire adapter from the same company, however, combined with the original cable work without any issues on Sierra with C1 9.3 :) Back powered by battery, no hub necessary - I can see myself getting more batteries...

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Pat

Godfrey

Good to hear that.

For the record, I have not had any trouble with FW devices and Sierra, either running from the native port on my 2012 mini or via the TB -> FW adapter with MBA or MBP systems. I use the standard Apple FW cables.

G