The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The S2 is a huge opportunity - it's the adapters stupid

woodyspedden

I wouldn't give credit to the S2. Not only is it not out yet but it's expected to be (at best) a like-priced (to pre-yesterday values anyway) kit.

A far more likely scenario, especially given the current pricing curve on lower-MP-count MFDB systems, will see the S2 as a (hefty) premium system.

Given Leica's history, tendencies and economic size, not to mention the raft of R&D just spent (vs well behind H & P in that MP range), there is only so far Leica can lock-step down the 38-39MP pricing curve (as much as they intended to do so) before the S2 becomes economically undoable.

It puts Leica in a bind if things continue. They could the S2 HAVE to be priced (their pricing tendencies aside) at snack brackets that, upon the S2's release, have become 45-50MP territory for H, P and Leaf. You can also assume that upon the S2s release, promotions will be forthcoming to given even greater hesitation to any folks looking to jump.

The S2 will also be at the lower-end (never though I'd say this about 38-39MP kit) of the MP-count range -- going up against products like the H3DII-39 which looks to be starting to be pushed down the stack by Hassy (they really seem to be pushing it) to become their entry high-spec kit (probably not explaining what I mean well).

In short, the last thing Hassy et al have to worry about is Leica offering a top quality product (a given) at cut-rate prices (no way) to steal share.

If anything Leica needs to get the S2 out early and price it as aggressively as the spreadsheets will allow - even to the point of loosing margin on a per body basis and push the glass. That said, won't happen.

The current moves are Hassy trying to entice nervous Leaf-Sinar shooters after the F&H news and Leaf trying to re-assure/keep the same group - and maybe, just maybe, entice some shooters over to avoid sales stagnation as people hold fire to see how the Sinar situation plays out.

It would be an obvious conclusion that Phamiya will be next.

...Just some opinionated mutterings from the cheap seats ;>
Hey Rob, I can't agree with you here.

My sources tell me that the original Hassy price crash just prior to Photokina, was based on knowledge of the impending S2. This strategy, while dangerous, is understandable. If you believe the S2 system is going to be popular then the price crash does one of two things.......forces Leica to follow you into those waters or price to their usual model and be way more expensive than their competition. In these economic times a hefty price differential will be hard to swallow for potential customers. But Leica keep saying they will be pricing the S2 competitively (whatever that exactly means). So we will just have to wait for the dust to settle in late summer then will we know

Woody

stephengilbert

Peter,

You may have meant exactly what you wrote, but I seriously doubt that you'll wait eight months before talking about this again. I don't know whether I qualify as a "Leica fan." I'd like to see the S2 succeed, but I'm not likely to buy one. And I feel no need to constantly opine on the chances of its success or failure. This is like sports fans talking about who's going to win tomorrow's game. Why not wait until the camera is on the market and see what happens? I don't claim to know what people I've never met are going to buy next summer. How can you be so sure?

Steve

robmac

Woody, it will be interesting to see.

I will agree in that I could see H doing what they did pre-Photokina to (as you essentially say) say force Leica into a corner. You wnat to benchmark to our $$$? Ok, here's a lower benchmark - care to change your historic pricing model?

That said, for some reason I thought you were referring to the H & Leaf discounts, etc announced over the couple of days as being due to the S2. Obviously not your intent. So, in effect, some x00 words later, we discover we (at least partially) agree ;>

Last edited: