The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's one thing to announce a product as it really refers to no time commitment aka Fuji in this case. Taking a pre-order commits to a shipping date.

My last comment on this subject. I have just been trying to make this point, you simply should not treat end users like this without commitments. We understand delays but one should know you production capibilites, supplies, demand and everything that goes with production times and such. Apple knows I aiphone takes exactly what time from the time it hits the order board till it comes off the line. Otherwise your running a pretty shoddy business model. My comment is early release announcement to beat competition and taking pre-orders was used to create a number to leverage for funding to go into production. This is just my opinion. I wish everyone good luck and I will respectfully leave this thread as a admin. I should stay out of these discussions but I'm really tired of the industry thinking we don't matter with our needs and timing of product as that is so far from the reality of many photographers. Peace out, no offense to anyone here, I luv you all and all entitled to there opinions , needs and wants.

Godfrey

Let me use Joe as a simple situation. Factious scenario for him . But here is the problem Joe is sitting on two lenses and owns let's say a A7rII kit and has almost enough money for the Hassy but still short and has to sell a few lenses to come up with the needed cash. How do you plan to sell some or all of your gear in the exact time when your getting its replacement with no date or hard release date and not lose client time or be without a key piece of gear to get the job done. Now if you think this is rare than your all nuts , I do this **** all the time. I'll sell a lens and buy another the same day , go do a shoot in a few days with the new gear. You can't do any of this without a date. Now go back to fictious Joe. He just got screwed the pre- order came up its shipping within 2 days and had no time frame to sell and buy to go by. Guess what he is 5 k short and is forced to cancel the order after waiting all this time. See this stuff does matter. He is being held hostagage because they can't communicate effectively to real clients us end users. Any business no matter if your a stock market trader or engineer has hard times and dates to go by. Why us photographers are supposed to be held hostagage like this is okay , go shoot family photos. Really, I've been doing this 41 years and I better serve my customers or I'm out of business. There is no hall pass, no mercy and no it's okay to be a **** up. I'm just saying think about this in your business and what you need to feed your family. Unacceptable
I'm sorry; we think of this quite differently, Guy, and operate our businesses quite differently.

If I placed a pre-order for something, it means I have the money arranged (whether credit or cash) and am ready to pay for it whenever it arrives. I also never buy anything, particularly anything new to the market, with the notion that I have to work out how I'm going to pay for it or that I'm dependent upon it until I have used it for several months, know it inside and out, and can depend upon it. I also tend to not buy lots of new things until the next model is announced. I then can look at what the first model's foibles are, decide whether the replacement suits me better, and then buy whichever one suits my needs best.

If I were the fictitious Joe above: when I placed the pre-order, it means I committed those funds (again whether cash or credit) to that purpose. That's marked in my accounting budget for the year. If it turns out the actual debit moves into the next year, I allocate those funds in the next year and see whether I need them for something I planned to buy then and want to move that into this year. If not, they go into my business operating reserve.

As an overall rule, when I'm actually working my photography business, I buy much much less gear than when I'm enjoying my photography art works and hobby. New gear is disruptive to the business and consumes time in learning and experimentation: I'd rather be booking jobs and getting paid with good gear I already have that does the job I want, so I buy conservatively and usually only with gear that I already have a good sense of what I expect from it. When I am hobbying, then the learning and experimentation is a good deal of the satisfaction of the endeavor so I welcome new and different gear. I order prerelease gear when it piques my interest and wait for it.

There is room for many different ways of working this stuff.

G

Note: I had lunch with some of my old friends and colleagues today, got caught up with some of the latest 'intramural sports' at the office. I'm SO glad I'm retired now, and can operate my hobbies and businesses the way I want, not the way anyone else tells me is the right way... ;-)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sure 20 grand for 7 months sitting waiting on gear is a death sentence here. Never going to happen with house, 3 cars, two kids one in college and two grandkids. Your reality is far different than mine.

tashley

Subscriber Member
According to the Lula article, Hassy are going to offer an extra 6 months of warranty to anyone who ordered in 2016 - as a way of saying sorry for the delay.

fotografz

Anyone can run their business any way they see fit. The measure is whether they stay in business or not. That different successful people with differing approaches are discussing expensive gear here is proof that there's more than one way.

Photography is an interesting type of business because we mix up financial acumen with passion for our tools ... in some cases almost fanatical passion.

My approach to gear has always been the same starting back in the Jurassic film days, to semi-retirement in the digital age.

> No matter what the promise, never pay money for that which doesn't exist. I can preorder 10,000 things as long as no money is involved. I'm very patient when I've invested nothing.

> Assume that any given camera company doesn't give a shyt about me or my business and you'll rarely be disappointed. They care about themselves and their business and pay attention to consumers when it is to their competitive benefit, not mine.

> Never, ever think the next best thing will suddenly make me better. It may make it easier, more fun, even sexier, but rarely "better" than what I can do with the previous model.

> Clients don't care one iota how I solve their photographic challenge, or with what. Most assignments involve creative use of tools right down to lighting, hand made rigs, and scrapes of tape rather than $20,000 cameras.

> Do not ever think that gear is an investment other than in yourself. Even the tax codes reduce this stuff to being worthless in a matter of a few years.

> When major break throughs happen (like the X1D), be leery of depending on it for a good amount of time. If you cannot overlap the new with existing gear for a definitive amount of time you can't afford it, or you are taking a calculated risk.

Regarding the above for example, when I moved from Hasselblad H to Leica S2P, I sold one of the Hasselblad's (H4D/40) but kept the H4D/60 for over a year ... and using the H to S adapter used my existing HC lenses on the S for over 2 years until the S lenses were available. Speaking of patience, I grew old waiting for Leica to get the CS lenses with leaf shutters to market.

I recognize I violate much of the above because I like photo stuff too much, and have spent more on it than necessary ... which is why I am the the one who suggested using Dante's mantel for Hell in the "Inferno" for the MF theme here ...

"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here".

:ROTFL:

- Marc

etto72

According to the Lula article, Hassy are going to offer an extra 6 months of warranty to anyone who ordered in 2016 - as a way of saying sorry for the delay.
Why can't they give a shipping date for the 4116 edition??
What's so difficult????:cussing:
I am among the 1st 10 customers for the X1D in black and now I am afraid I will have to wait 3 more months...:cry:

I just spoke to my UK dealer (Dale Photographic) and they had been told by Hasselblad (today) there won't be any UK deliveries of the X1D until mid January.

ddanois

I just spoke to my UK dealer (Dale Photographic) and they had been told by Hasselblad (today) there won't be any UK deliveries of the X1D until mid January.
Thanks for the update Erik!

I guess it begs the question...If Hasselblad says they are shipping as of today, where are these supposed X1Ds going? Are we talking 2 or 3 out the door and then hi-five the production manager? :facesmack:

At this point, it certainly doesn't feel like Hasselblad is feeling apologetic as they simply refuse to give any specifics.

And before the "cry baby" comments start flying back...I speak from the perspective of having already parted with hard CASH for the 45 & 90 a couple of months ago in reliance on the previous false shipping dates from the camera.

:wtf:

As of this morning at 10:45am ET, B&H says that they have not received any information from Hasselblad about incoming deliveries. They are sticking with the mid-February date for starting to fill pre-orders.

6 Month warranty extension for this kind of treatment...YES SIR PLEASE, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER :thumbdown:

Godfrey

Unfortunately, it's always been true that asking the same question every day, every hour, every minute does not change the facts of when things might ship or answer precisely when your shipment will arrive. The people at Hasselblad are likely shipping cameras now or within a couple of days, but they cannot tell you when yours will arrive, and no company generally advertises to the public how many of a new product are going out the door on a day to day basis, or where they're going to, other than on 'internal, need to know' basis.

G

hcubell

Unfortunately, it's always been true that asking the same question every day, every hour, every minute does not change the facts of when things might ship or answer precisely when your shipment will arrive. The people at Hasselblad are likely shipping cameras now or within a couple of days, but they cannot tell you when yours will arrive, and no company generally advertises to the public how many of a new product are going out the door on a day to day basis, or where they're going to, other than on 'internal, need to know' basis.

G
My recollection is that Zeiss had some serious back order issues with the Batis lenses for the Sony A7 series when they started to ship, and many people had pre-ordered.

ejpeiker

And before the "cry baby" comments start flying back...I speak from the perspective of having already parted with hard CASH for the 45 & 90 a couple of months ago in reliance on the previous false shipping dates from the camera.
It won't help you now but in the future, when you order from B&H and there are multiple components, some of which are useless unless all items are delivered, like your lenses, be sure to check the box that tells them to ship everything in a single shipment when all items are available. That way you avoid being charged for something that you can't use for an unspecified amount of time.

ddanois

I'd like to wish each and every one of you a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Seasons Greetings. May your holidays be spent face-to-face with family and friends, and may you enjoy some time away from posting, tweeting, texting and otherwise using your mobile devices.

To the Hasselblad Team, I wish you much success with the X1D product line. I believe it to be a "game changing" camera that will excite photographers worldwide for years to come. I look forward to being one of those excited souls.

To Derek, Erik, Nick, Howard, Tim, "etto72" and all those who, like me, have pre-ordered the X1D, I wish you a speedy order fulfillment and patience while this episode plays out.

To Peter ("PedroL"), Lee at Ace Photo, B&H and all the retailers who have tried tirelessly to both excite and supply paying customers, all signs point to prosperity in 2017. Keep the faith.

I look forward to seeing many great images in the soon-to-be "Fun with the Hasselblad X1D" thread on GetDPI. If I'm lucky, I'll see you there.

Joe
Bravo!

Thanks for putting a nice bow on this thread Joe. Best Wishes and Happy Holidays.

D&A

Bravo!

Thanks for putting a nice bow on this thread Joe. Best Wishes and Happy Holidays.
Way to go Joe! Lovely thoughts for the holiday season. Oh, do you think its premature if I also start a Hasselblad X2D rumor thread since the X1D is not far off from getting into the hands of users? LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Lucille

I'd like to wish each and every one of you a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Seasons Greetings. May your holidays be spent face-to-face with family and friends, and may you enjoy some time away from posting, tweeting, texting and otherwise using your mobile devices.

To the Hasselblad Team, I wish you much success with the X1D product line. I believe it to be a "game changing" camera that will excite photographers worldwide for years to come. I look forward to being one of those excited souls.

To Derek, Erik, Nick, Howard, Tim, "etto72" and all those who, like me, have pre-ordered the X1D, I wish you a speedy order fulfillment and patience while this episode plays out.

To Peter ("PedroL"), Lee at Ace Photo, B&H and all the retailers who have tried tirelessly to both excite and supply paying customers, all signs point to prosperity in 2017. Keep the faith.

I look forward to seeing many great images in the soon-to-be "Fun with the Hasselblad X1D" thread on GetDPI. If I'm lucky, I'll see you there.

Joe

BAH HUMBUG!

Where is the DAMN camera?!!!!?

tashley

Subscriber Member
My 2 cents: a fairly clear picture is emerging that the UK will get no deliveries this year so I assume that Hassy are trying to fulfil as many US orders as they can so as to p*ss off as few pre-orderers as possible, given the tax write off system you guys have. Our tax year runs from April here...

Whether that makes you guys on that side of the pond the lucky ones or the guinea pigs remains to be seen!

Last edited:
My 2 cents: a fairly clear picture is emerging that the UK will get no deliveries this year so I assume that Hassy are trying to fulfil as many US orders as they can so as to p*ss off as few pre-orderers as possible, given the tax write of system you guys have. Our tax year runs from April here...

Whether that makes you guys on that side of the pond the lucky ones or the guinea pigs remains to be seen!
That's the tax year for a individual. For a UK registered company the tax year is from the date your business was 'registered'.

hcubell

My 2 cents: a fairly clear picture is emerging that the UK will get no deliveries this year so I assume that Hassy are trying to fulfil as many US orders as they can so as to p*ss off as few pre-orderers as possible, given the tax write of system you guys have. Our tax year runs from April here...

If the X1D is shipping in the US, the dealers are apparently not aware of it. My guess is that you will only know that the X1D is actually shipping when one shows up on Ebay in Hong Kong for $20,000.

D&A

At least I can dream.

Joe, I already can see problems with the camera. Area around shutter button blown out, black areas on lens surround and rubberized parts on the body record as grey...not to mention the size of this thing, its hugh! You really sure you want one of these?...LOL.

Dave (D&A)