The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

glc

from nyc dealer yesterday:

"There's possibly a delivery next week but we're waiting on confirmation."

"our Rep saw the new firmware this week at their office and he says it's really nice and almost ready. The new firmware had the Auto WB, Touch Focus on the rear, and was faster in operation."

Like you, I normally buy already-shipping products. Only when I feel there's something truly special, or I just know that what's coming up is going to fulfill a need and I want it as soon as possible, do I place an order before an item is actually released. (Actually, I'd do that for a set of AirPods, but Apple won't allow me to place an order for them until they ship...)

I'm involved in a Kickstarter camera project at present, the Light 16. For participating with my hundred dollar downpayment, I get an approximately quarterly update on their current status and consequent notices of their slip dates. It looks like the camera they've promised will ship a full two years plus past the original estimated release date. The multi-camera computational photography notion is very interesting to me, however, and I think might have some legs for acquiring very high resolution, very high quality images in a small form factor camera. Eh? We'll see where it goes.

I somehow suspect a quarterly update wouldn't satisfy the anxiety of the pre-order-placers on this thread. We're only just about one quarter past the first estimated release date... :toocool: It's an impatient lot around here. :cool:

I have to say: I was very taken with the X1D the moment I handled it back in June at a demo day. If I juggle things around sufficiently, I could well just drop other plans and buy one as soon as they become available. I must not be as demanding as others; I found the controls very nicely done, the viewfinder quite satisfactory, and the ergonomics excellent. Center focus point only? well, I only rarely move the focus point off-center anyway. Stratospheric ISO? Much as I like the ability to shoot black cows on a dark night in the barn, I can't say that I do it all that often and I can reach for another camera to do that. Only a couple of lenses available? Yeah, sure, but they happen to be the two focal lengths I use most anyway. I am certain that Hasselblad's treatment of the 50Mpixel sensor will be excellent, that their lenses will be excellent, etc. The only niggle is whether a wired remote will become available, but honestly the WiFi remote release is what I use most of the time anyway now with other WiFi equipped cameras.

But such it is. My needs are modest, my desires constrained. I will live and continue my photography whether I have one or not. I have a 6x6 pinhole camera and some special Washi orthochromatic film that I've got to get out and do some shooting with... When the X1D arrives, it arrives. :)

G
Thanks Godfrey, I couldn't have enunciated my own views any clearer than this. And fortunately the X1D was unavailable when I stopped by a local dealer. The X1D, 30mm & 90mm combined with my filter kit would send my Sony A7Rii system packing. I'm really looking for a camera system that takes excellent images and gets the heck out of the way. I'm ready to be done with Sony's idiosyncrasies and I'm more than willing to adjust in areas where the Hassy might be a little light. Now I just gotta figure out where the money is coming from. :)

Eli

from nyc dealer yesterday:

"There's possibly a delivery next week but we're waiting on confirmation."

"our Rep saw the new firmware this week at their office and he says it's really nice and almost ready. The new firmware had the Auto WB, Touch Focus on the rear, and was faster in operation."
Can you clarify, if possible, what you mean by "Touch Focus on the rear"? Do you mean change focus point on the rear screen?

And can you tell us who the New York dealer is, by any chance?

Thanks.

atanabe

My local shop has had an X1D for over a week and I have tried it out twice, the first time the battery was dead and the second time around it was dead again. Not too hopeful regarding battery life, I am used to the Leica S which seemed to go on forever. From the little battery time that I got to experience with the camera, it ticks the boxes for weight and ergonomics but I am and old fashioned optical viewfinder guy.

I will wait on the sidelines and observe the cheering and woes in the months to come before deciding.

D&A

My local shop has had an X1D for over a week and I have tried it out twice, the first time the battery was dead and the second time around it was dead again. Not too hopeful regarding battery life, I am used to the Leica S which seemed to go on forever. From the little battery time that I got to experience with the camera, it ticks the boxes for weight and ergonomics but I am and old fashioned optical viewfinder guy.

I will wait on the sidelines and observe the cheering and woes in the months to come before deciding.
These are some of the things I too experienced with a demo X1D. I do believe and hope that end user cameras will be a good measure different and hopefully the camera everyone has hopped for.

The one thing that perplexes me a bit was theway Hasselblad released a myriad of somewhat different X1D demo cameras, many having various earlier firmware revisions that probably needing considerable tweaking and from what I hear, lacked a somewhat improved operational feature set of the soon to be released camera. Except for possible feedback from demo users, I would think some bad press/word of mouth from these demo cameras worked against them.

Maybe it was the marketing arm of the company that was pressured somewhat to promote this camera ASAP and that action was a bit premature?

Dave (D&A)

wellfleet

As Nick-T had predicted earlier...

"On Friday I interviewed Perry and the Ove regarding shipping status of the X1D. I'll have an article finished in the morning on what's going on and what to expect. I took the X1D to Antarctica and have had a few weeks with it. It's a real nice camera. I just upgraded the firmware to the latest and shipping firmware. I will be completing my testing and will get a review started very soon. There is a lot to like about this camera and it will only get better. More sometime on Monday." Kevin Raber @ Luminous Landscape

tashley

Subscriber Member
My UK dealer has just responded to my email requesting a shipping update, and I am told that 'early January is currently best view on availability.'

So pretty much as I expected when we were recently told by the Hassy guy on here that it would be December.

D&A

Looks like dpreview got their hands on it. They had multiple focus points too !

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hasselblad-x1d-50c-pre-production-shooting-experience
From what I just quickly read on the dpreview site, there were apparently quite a few important operational features added to the X1D as compared to the pre production sample I worked with for a brief time about 6 weeks ago. Apparently revisions of the firmware has played a significant role in all this. My impressions of the preproduction sample left me questioning certain aspects of the camera but hopefully the final end user product will have addressed a good number of these. I'm sure in short order we will be hearing other impressions from those who received very late pre production/first production cameras to review or at least provide first impressions of the X1D.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

etto72

To "Nick-T" (Nick Tressider), "Hasselblad Official", Ming Thein, Kevin Raber, and all those who are representing Hasselblad and the X1D,

Thank you for your periodic (but cryptic) updates on the progress towards completion of the X1D. While it is encouraging that Raber says, "There is a lot to like about this camera and it will only get better" and DPReview says "So far though the X1D is really very nice to use, and already produces first class images...If the pre-production firmware that I've used is anything to go by though, it will certainly be worth the wait" and Ming Thein says "...there is no question in my mind that the concept is sound and image quality is top notch...I think the images say enough – it’s already shaping up to be a formidable tool for its size", I didn't need all of those glowing reports to pre-order the camera and lenses on June 23. I had enough confidence in Hasselblad and enough experience with digital photography to know that the announcement, specifications and design of the camera (captured in images presented on the Hasselblad website) were "game changing", to use Hasselblad's description from the announcement. I had enough experience with the H4D-40 and H4D-50 to know and love the quality and aesthetic of Hasselblad designs. And I had enough faith, given the fact that pre-production cameras were already being shown and demonstrated, to pre-order the camera for late August/early September delivery.

I have been patient and have not (yet) cancelled my pre-order. I have taken delivery of the two available XCD lenses and have received assurances from B&H that I can return them if I decide to do so once I have a camera. I have been in communication with my regional Hasselblad sales representative to be kept in the information flow from Gothenburg. I have been in communication with two "brick and mortar" Hasselblad dealers, in addition to B&H, based on a recommendation from the regional sales rep.

I have watched as cameras have been demonstrated at Photokina and Photo Plus. I have watched as cameras have been demonstrated in retail shops. I have watched as cameras have been taken for "test drives" by the chosen few, perhaps in the spirit of increasing the hype surrounding the camera or perhaps to get critical feedback on its features and flaws or perhaps for both reasons.

At this point, I don't need additional marketing videos. I don't need online reviews proclaiming the X1D as the best thing since sliced bread. I don't need explanations and apologies and excuses for not delivering to plan. It doesn't help me to know that Kevin used the camera for two weeks in Antarctica. Perhaps he ordered his on June 22. It doesn't help me to know that Annie Leibovitz or some other famous photographer is shooting with the X1D. I don't need all the marketing bulls&%t.

The only thing that will satisfy me at this point of my frustration is the timely delivery of the Hasselblad X1D camera that I pre-ordered on June 23, almost 6 months ago. Is that too much to ask? Am I being unreasonable? Can I not draw my own conclusions once I get the camera in my hands? Do I need another Hasselblad Ambassador or favored Web reviewer to weave stories of rainbows and butterflies emanating from the camera's sensor? No. Ship me a damn camera please!!!

Joe
Thanks Joe!!
This is excactly the way I feel too:cry:

bab

Most likely if the software issue is the hold up they could release a few units even if all are not ready. They have released some demos......but not production units so this must be low on the real problem list.

Worst would be that a hard part on camera (button, board with chip, etc) will malfunction with use and needs R&D to resolve this issue because it leads to complete failure of camera operation with extended use. At this point a strong possibility.

Alternatively thrid party suppliers of strategic parts failed and H had to resource. It would have to be either a major component supplier or a combination of suppliers the rendered the supply chain to fail. This is a very strong possibility!!!

Lastly there has been an internal embesslment of a large amount of the company funds and they can't produce the camera because they are not able to pay the suppliers for the parts.

Or they never had the funding from the right source with a high enough limit to finance to whole operation, especially in view of the hype of selling more units in one month than they thought they would sell in a year.

So they are trying to acquire more funding? Also very strong possibility.

My guess is the real reason that's preventing shipment is one that can not be made PUBLIC!

Most likely if the software issue is the hold up they could release a few units even if all are not ready. They have released some demos......but not production units so this must be low on the real problem list.

Worst would be that a hard part on camera (button, board with chip, etc) will malfunction with use and needs R&D to resolve this issue because it leads to complete failure of camera operation with extended use. At this point a strong possibility.

Alternatively thrid party suppliers of strategic parts failed and H had to resource. It would have to be either a major component supplier or a combination of suppliers the rendered the supply chain to fail. This is a very strong possibility!!!

Lastly there has been an internal embesslment of a large amount of the company funds and they can't produce the camera because they are not able to pay the suppliers for the parts.

Or they never had the funding from the right source with a high enough limit to finance to whole operation, especially in view of the hype of selling more units in one month than they thought they would sell in a year.

So they are trying to acquire more funding? Also very strong possibility.

My guess is the real reason that's preventing shipment is one that can not be made PUBLIC!
Would sir like a tinfoil hat with that paranoia? :)

hcubell

I have no idea at to the exact cause or causes of the delay in shipping. What I do find mystifying is why Hasselblad has shipped hundreds of demo X1Ds to dealers all over the world for the purpose of stoking demand and preorders that they are incapable of meeting. Sure, it's great to have a great potential product on your hands, but one has to be vigilant not to add to the pool of the haters who would rather give up photography than shoot a Hasselblad.

Jager

Hi guys,

We are very saddened to read this thread and we do understand your frustration. We very much apologise for the inconvenience. After its announcement, the X1D became a global success. Due to the very high amount of orders that followed, we had to make structural changes to our factory in Sweden to meet the demand and increase the number of units produced per day.

We have been shipping demo units since August and most of our partners have X1D available for hands-on experience, but ramping up end-user cameras took longer than we anticipated. On a positive note, we are starting to fulfil end-user orders as of this month.

We thank you for your patience and we hope that you accept our sincerest apologies.

// The Hasselblad Team

Thanks for this. Notwithstanding that this was clearly a very carefully-crafted response from the upper echelons at Hasselblad, it's still a nice gesture.

That said, teasing it apart a little bit...

As others have noted, saying that end-user orders will start being fulfilled this month isn't terribly helpful. Hasselblad could ship a half-dozen "end-user" cameras, worldwide, and meet that measure. And, unfortunately, the empirical evidence suggests that that's exactly what is going on - users who pre-ordered within literally hours of the announcement, and so are surely at the top of the lists, but who it sounds like may not receive cameras until February.

More broadly, the notion that the huge, unexpected demand for the X1D is the reason for its delay is... disingenuous.

Having sharply higher demand for a product is a nice problem to have. It's not one you normally shut down a factory for, while you build a bigger facility (which itself begs scrutiny... given that surely the "factory" element that would most need augmenting is the skilled labor to assemble these cameras; not some automated jigs or castings to make the magnesium bodies, for which you'd think Hasselblad's previous, modest capability would be sufficient - this is, after all, a medium format camera, not the next iPhone). More telling is that the operational features of the demo units have remained very checkered.

I'd bet a nice bottle of Scotch that Hasselblad has been struggling all along - and probably continues to be bedeviled by - any number of software problems. The early demo unit I played with last July was excellent in terms of design; but pretty - I'll be kind and call it "raw" - in terms of function. They clearly misjudged their ability to resolve those problems. And notwithstanding that I bet Perry is having a daily standup with the X1D product team leaders, they've been learning the hard way what countless other tech firms before them have learned... that complex software is hard. It always takes longer than anyone expects.

Stepping back, Hasselblad is only six months off their announcement. Not really all that bad. Their great failing has not (yet) been in the execution of this product. They are still within the window which most would consider reasonable for delivering this kind of device.

Where they failed, abysmally, was in communication. One wonders whether they, even at this late juncture, understand that.

As a Hassy owner I'm a fan of the brand. I wish them every success. And I'll probably own the X1D at some point. But I'm sure glad I didn't jump on one of the pre-order lists lo those many months ago. Or buy lenses for which no camera in the world exists to which to affix them.

That's the most egregious indignity of all.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I go back to my previous comments and it's very clear a major complaint is communication failure with end users and as some members here are still holding on to their pre-orders the question remains how many bailed on this. And everyone gets hurt by this. In this century and day in age if it's not out the door faster than a roadrunner it's a fail. My whole business as a working Pro is based on delivery times. It's been that way for 20 years shooting digital and I am a very early adopter of digital capture. As soon as clients knew they wanted the files faster. Makes no difference if your selling a luxury brand or a budget one , communications in the proper form is the key. For a guy like Joe to raise is dander is unheard of as he is a really great guy in this industry. Pissing off a dedicated user is piss poor form.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Joe, you give me great comfort. As the most reasonable, patient and mild mannered of men Hasselblad need to know that if even you are starting to get a little shirty then ill-tempered ogres such as myself can be expected to be ejecting nails orally.

I too am thinking of cancelling my order. I'm sick of being managed and frankly, getting bored with the idea of something that once seemed so exciting. I can string a semi-impulse buy out for really quite a long time but at some point, the excitement dies a death and the knowledge that I have a plethora of other, more than adequate gear with which to make images starts to predominate.

I'm going to decide by Christmas whether to cancel but I really think that if it isn't in my hands by the end of the year, it probably never will be...being told by my dealer today that early Jan was a realistic date just made me think 'yeah, right, I've heard that tosh before.'

To "Nick-T" (Nick Tressider), "Hasselblad Official", Ming Thein, Kevin Raber, and all those who are representing Hasselblad and the X1D,

Thank you for your periodic (but cryptic) updates on the progress towards completion of the X1D. While it is encouraging that Raber says, "There is a lot to like about this camera and it will only get better" and DPReview says "So far though the X1D is really very nice to use, and already produces first class images...If the pre-production firmware that I've used is anything to go by though, it will certainly be worth the wait" and Ming Thein says "...there is no question in my mind that the concept is sound and image quality is top notch...I think the images say enough – it’s already shaping up to be a formidable tool for its size", I didn't need all of those glowing reports to pre-order the camera and lenses on June 23. I had enough confidence in Hasselblad and enough experience with digital photography to know that the announcement, specifications and design of the camera (captured in images presented on the Hasselblad website) were "game changing", to use Hasselblad's description from the announcement. I had enough experience with the H4D-40 and H4D-50 to know and love the quality and aesthetic of Hasselblad designs. And I had enough faith, given the fact that pre-production cameras were already being shown and demonstrated, to pre-order the camera for late August/early September delivery.

I have been patient and have not (yet) cancelled my pre-order. I have taken delivery of the two available XCD lenses and have received assurances from B&H that I can return them if I decide to do so once I have a camera. I have been in communication with my regional Hasselblad sales representative to be kept in the information flow from Gothenburg. I have been in communication with two "brick and mortar" Hasselblad dealers, in addition to B&H, based on a recommendation from the regional sales rep.

I have watched as cameras have been demonstrated at Photokina and Photo Plus. I have watched as cameras have been demonstrated in retail shops. I have watched as cameras have been taken for "test drives" by the chosen few, perhaps in the spirit of increasing the hype surrounding the camera or perhaps to get critical feedback on its features and flaws or perhaps for both reasons.

At this point, I don't need additional marketing videos. I don't need online reviews proclaiming the X1D as the best thing since sliced bread. I don't need explanations and apologies and excuses for not delivering to plan. It doesn't help me to know that Kevin used the camera for two weeks in Antarctica. Perhaps he ordered his on June 22. It doesn't help me to know that Annie Leibovitz or some other famous photographer is shooting with the X1D. I don't need all the marketing bulls&%t.

The only thing that will satisfy me at this point of my frustration is the timely delivery of the Hasselblad X1D camera that I pre-ordered on June 23, almost 6 months ago. Is that too much to ask? Am I being unreasonable? Can I not draw my own conclusions once I get the camera in my hands? Do I need another Hasselblad Ambassador or favored Web reviewer to weave stories of rainbows and butterflies emanating from the camera's sensor? No. Ship me a damn camera please!!!

Joe

D&A

I go back to my previous comments and it's very clear a major complaint is communication failure with end users and as some members here are still holding on to their pre-orders the question remains how many bailed on this. And everyone gets hurt by this. In this century and day in age if it's not out the door faster than a roadrunner it's a fail. My whole business as a working Pro is based on delivery times. It's been that way for 20 years shooting digital and I am a very early adopter of digital capture. As soon as clients knew they wanted the files faster. Makes no difference if your selling a luxury brand or a budget one , communications in the proper form is the key. For a guy like Joe to raise is dander is unheard of as he is a really great guy in this industry. Pissing off a dedicated user is piss poor form.
You stated this many times Guy and I followed up your very meaningful expressive thoughts with my own experiences echoing much the same. It all starts with up front communication, whether from company to customers or photographers to their clients. People for the most part are very reasonable and understanding (within limits of course) when a honest and forthright attempt at communication is forthcoming, when unexpected problems or delays occurs regarding delivery of a product or goods and services.

I also couldn't agree more with Joe, not only because he's such a gentleman, patient, understanding and an extremely knowledgeable individual, but of expressing what I feel many perceive is a big marketing attempt and pre-rollout of a product in such a way to partially mask whatever delay has incurred in not releasing end user cameras. This is exactly the opposite of a forthright approach and straight forward communication with their user base and will leave a bad taste with many, even when this all blows over for what should be an exceptional and exciting product.

The only thing I will disagree with Joe on, is I never witnessed any rainbows and butterflies emanating from the camera's sensor on the demo X1D I shot with :)

Dave (D&A)

I also couldn't agree more with Joe, not only because he's such a gentleman, patient, understanding and an extremely knowledgeable individual, but of expressing what I feel many perceive is a big marketing attempt and pre-rollout of a product in such a way to partially mask whatever delay has incurred in not releasing end user cameras. This is exactly the opposite of a forthright approach and straight forward communication with their user base and will leave a bad taste with many, even when this all blows over for what should be an exceptional and exciting product.

Dave (D&A)
This drivel is probably the exact reason communicating is utterly pointless. Hasselblad has given the reasons why there are delays already, but this forums has completely ignored said reasons; instead favouring your own conspiracy theories.

Right now I see this thread as a room full of babies lying on the floor hammering their little fists in the ground wailing like there was no tomorrow.

Delays are annoying. I get it. But come on people. The X1D will be done when it is done. Not before. Not after.

Godfrey

Next year or whenever it is that I actually buy my X1D, all of this angst will seem a faraway dream. :angel:

G