The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Yeah, really hoping for a Chrismukkah miracle! Seems like most of the dealers have gotten their demos in the past week or two, so hopefully the next batch will go out this week to us patiently waiting photo elves!

drevil

Staff member
V

Vivek

Offtopic i know BUT
"Tatiaya Saens, 23 years, 10 years with FARC holding her AK47 weapon in her hands."

Did anybody find a AK47 in that image?:banghead:
Forget the gun! I thought it was a man with nail polish! :bugeyes:

tashley

Subscriber Member
To the tune of "When you wish upon a Star"

A bit of Festive Fun:

to the tune of "When you wish upon a Star"

I'll start:

Santa's riding on his sleigh
The X1D is on it's way....

please continue, in as good or bad taste or humour as you feel appropriate....

D&A

Re: To the tune of "When you wish upon a Star"

A bit of Festive Fun:

to the tune of "When you wish upon a Star"

I'll start:

The X1D is on it's way....

please continue, in as good or bad taste or humour as you feel appropriate....
..."but the elves have the final say....
... who gets one each day"...

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

bab

If Raber says its true.
then Monday is the day for you!
But if you want to be Merry and Blue,
Better ask Oosting "please say it true.

KeithL

The X1D is on it's way
will it or won't it be
Tim and Joe's cup of tea...

They've tried the rest
without success
but perhaps the Blad
will at last be the camera that puts a finish to this endless merry go round?

Sorry! :bugeyes:

tashley

Subscriber Member

The X1D is on it's way
will it or won't it be
Tim and Joe's cup of tea...

They've tried the rest
without success
but perhaps the Blad
will at last be the camera that puts a finish to this endless merry go round?

Sorry! :bugeyes:
Oh dear Keith your hopes are high
reaching up to the Christmas sky
If you think that this will end it
Then you don't read "How to Spend it" *

(* A British glossy magazine included with the weekend FT that caters with those who always want MOOOORE!)

hcubell

Well, I finally had the opportunity to actually handle a demo X1D today at a local dealer. First, the good news. I was shocked by how compact and light weight the body and 45mm lens are as a package. The X1D is, by a wide margin, the most beautifully designed camera I have ever picked up. The ergonomics, the fit and the finish are exceptional. For me, it is the perfect antidote to the bloat of the XF and its lenses. The User Interface is just so intelligent...designed for a photographer who wants to take photographs and doesn't want the camera controls and interface to get in the way with all kinds of extraneous electronic bells and whistles. Based upon the form factor and the interface, the X1D deserves to be viewed as a game changer. If the X1D functions the way it "should" function in the actual process of shooting in the field, if it is reliable, and if the lenses are first rate, I have no doubt that the X1D will be a huge success. The wait may seem interminable, but I do think it will be worth it.
Now, the bad news. The dealer did not have an adequately charged battery to shoot with, so I couldn't comment on the actual experience of shooting it or looking over some files. That was just as well, because the dealer had not loaded the new firmware. No battery, old firmware. Not a great demo experience for a customer looking at a camera system with the price tag of the X1D.

D&A

Well, I finally had the opportunity to actually handle a demo X1D today at a local dealer. First, the good news. I was shocked by how compact and light weight the body and 45mm lens are as a package. The X1D is, by a wide margin, the most beautifully designed camera I have ever picked up. The ergonomics, the fit and the finish are exceptional. For me, it is the perfect antidote to the bloat of the XF and its lenses. The User Interface is just so intelligent...designed for a photographer who wants to take photographs and doesn't want the camera controls and interface to get in the way with all kinds of extraneous electronic bells and whistles. Based upon the form factor and the interface, the X1D deserves to be viewed as a game changer. If the X1D functions the way it "should" function in the actual process of shooting in the field, if it is reliable, and if the lenses are first rate, I have no doubt that the X1D will be a huge success. The wait may seem interminable, but I do think it will be worth it.
Now, the bad news. The dealer did not have an adequately charged battery to shoot with, so I couldn't comment on the actual experience of shooting it or looking over some files. That was just as well, because the dealer had not loaded the new firmware. No battery, old firmware. Not a great demo experience for a customer looking at a camera system with the price tag of the X1D.
Your experience emulates closely what I experienced a few weeks ago (and posted earlier). The X1D is a beautifully designed camera. It's interface is innovative and most controls fall (at least for my hands) in places where intuitively one would expect so after a short time, I didn't need to often remove my eye from the viewfinder and go searching. It most certainly is a game changer in this respect and I presume once the camera has the latest firmware, the overall experience and results achieved will be noteworthy.

Maybe though its a good thing the battery was exhausted and you didn't have chance to shoot with the camera prior to its being updated to latest firmware although you have the benefit of knowing what it improves. When I shot with the demo camera, I was taken aback at what it lacked, namely no histogram, no multiple selectable af points, apparently no WYSIWYG, a 15 second power up time, and apparently short battery life, a somewhat buggy response to input and a EVF that left me a bit disappointed. I must admit that generally I am not a big fan of most EVF's. Since apparently most of what I listed has been addressed, it may be best to handle a demo that's pretty much analogous to current production models, less one gets a skewed perspective of what the camera is really like.

That's what perplexes me so much...was the release of these demo's in the state described. Anyhow hopefully will be a distant memory once greater number of bodies are in the hands of users.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

alaind

When I shot with the demo camera, I was taken aback at what it lacked, namely no histogram, no multiple selectable af points, apparently no WYSIWYG, a 15 second power up time, apparently shot battery life, a somewhat buggy response to input and a EVF that left me a bit disappointed. I must admit that generally I am not a big fan of most EVF's. Since apparently most of what I listed has been addressed, it may be best to handle a demo that's pretty much analogous to current production models, lest one gets a skewed perspective of what the camera is really like.
Dave (D&A)
I went to my local dealer this morning. They had upgraded their demo camera with the latest firware and let me play with it. I can confirm the multi AF points. Press the AF/MF button on top of the camera and select the AF points either by touching the rear screen or by using the wheels. The AF points is displayed also in the viewfinder. Note: you have to press "long" on the AF button, a short press only brings up the previous AF point. I can also confirm that exposure compensation (WYSIWYG) affects the viewfinder and the rear display. The start-up time is still way too long, though...

Alain.

hcubell

I went to my local dealer this morning. They had upgraded their demo camera with the latest firware and let me play with it. I can confirm the multi AF points. Press the AF/MF button on top of the camera and select the AF points either by touching the rear screen or by using the wheels. The AF points is displayed also in the viewfinder. Note: you have to press "long" on the AF button, a short press only brings up the previous AF point. I can also confirm that exposure compensation (WYSIWYG) affects the viewfinder and the rear display. The start-up time is still way too long, though...

Alain.
The start up time is only a problem if you are used to, expect, and need a camera to start and be ready to shoot "quickly". I have never used a medium format digital system where it was ready "quickly", and for the type of shooting I was doing, it was never a problem that it took 5 or 6 seconds for my Phase back to be ready to shoot. OTOH, there have been times with my original Sony A7R that I wanted to be able to shoot quickly and the camera was slow to start up. Sony reworked the firmware over time to improve it but it has never been a speed demon. This is all relative. I can live with 5 or 6 seconds. 15 seconds would bother me.

alaind

The start up time is only a problem if you are used to, expect, and need a camera to start and be ready to shoot "quickly". I have never used a medium format digital system where it was ready "quickly", and for the type of shooting I was doing, it was never a problem that it took 5 or 6 seconds for my Phase back to be ready to shoot. OTOH, there have been times with my original Sony A7R that I wanted to be able to shoot quickly and the camera was slow to start up. Sony reworked the firmware over time to improve it but it has never been a speed demon. This is all relative. I can live with 5 or 6 seconds. 15 seconds would bother me.
I guess it depends on your usage. On a tripod, for landsacpe, I will not care much. However, the main reason I'm personally interested in the X1D is as a travel camera, for candids and street work. The X1d has the potential to be the digital equivalent of a Mamiya 7. In that mode, start-up time is important, especially considering that batery life is limited and you cannot simply leave it on.

Alain.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I guess it depends on your usage. On a tripod, for landsacpe, I will not care much. However, the main reason I'm personally interested in the X1D is as a travel camera, for candids and street work. The X1d has the potential to be the digital equivalent of a Mamiya 7. In that mode, start-up time is important, especially considering that batery life is limited and you cannot simply leave it on.

Alain.
I heard that you could just leave it on - that in sleep mode it uses very little power and that it then wakes v very fast. I guess time will tell, when the first customer deliveries arrive...

D&A

I heard that you could just leave it on - that in sleep mode it uses very little power and that it then wakes v very fast. I guess time will tell, when the first customer deliveries arrive...
Just for reference, the X1D demo I tried has a start up time of approx 15 seconds. Its reported Hasselblad has got this down to approx 7 seconds, give or take on the current production X1D's. The Pentax 645Z start up time is approx. 2-3 seconds.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: