The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Thanks, it doesn't show any info there, it's blank in the GPS panel on Bridge and Phocus. But they may not have activated it yet via the firmware. Or I don't know how to turn it on.

Greenaa

Two more questions:

Is there any shutter lag if in manual focus?

How long would you estimate the EVF blackout is when the shutter activates?

Thank you,

ACG

Thanks, it doesn't show any info there, it's blank in the GPS panel on Bridge and Phocus. But they may not have activated it yet via the firmware. Or I don't know how to turn it on.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

My understanding is that the shutter needs to close before exposure, open for exposure and close again. Therefore there are three audible clicks when the camera operates.

I actually do not fully understand this, as Hasselblad claims that 1/2000s is achieved by resetting the sensor while the shutter is open and just using the shutter to end exposure. In which case shutter response time would be just a few milliseconds.

Best regards
Erik

Two more questions:

Thank you,

ACG

C_R

Two more questions:

Thank you,

ACG
No, I didn´t notice any lag with MF.
The EVF blackout is about 1,2 seconds. I made a video through the EVF :)
(hope the link works)

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kD3l1Q8juQNTFvY2VjSld4a2c/view?usp=drivesdk[/video]

Carsten
Flickr

C_R

Power on to shoot time is definitively slow in my loaner copy, 13 to 14 sec.
As a workaround, I tried standby mode on the X1D: In "Power & Timeouts" chose "Display off: 10 sec" for example, and set "Power off" to "Never".
Close the rear monitor (short-press the power button), then, while you lift the X1D for the shot, already half-press the shutter release and you can focus almost immediately when you look through the EVF.
Standby drains power, and my battery was empty after an overnight standby. It costs about 50% battery with 3-4 hours that way.

Carsten
Flickr

D&A

Question: If the X1D uses an external GPS unit in the hot shoe, then what is the supposed GPS antenna adjacent to one side of the hot shoe. I would have imagined the external GPS to contain its own antenna? Thats unless an internal unit was either initially planned or is still in the works for sometime down the road. I assume almost all units out there are demo units, so maybe internal GPS is still possible in production units? Just a guess.

As to power on to shoot time and battery consumption, there appears to be two sets of demo cameras out there which may or may not directly relate to having the latest firmware.

Some are reporting power on to shoot times in the range of approx 14 seconds with overall considerable battery drain in standby or camera use. This is what I experienced. Others report a power on to shoot time of closer to 6 seconds with a much more conservative use of battery power overall.

I tend to doubt these vast differences are strickly due to speed of SD card used or type of formatting, as I attempted to vary both without observing much change.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ejpeiker

Question: If the X1D uses an external GPS unit in the hot shoe, then what is the supposed GPS antenna adjacent to one side of the hot shoe. I would have imagined the external GPS to contain its own antenna? Thats unless an internal unit was either initially planned or is still in the works for sometime down the road. I assume almost all units out there are demo units, so maybe internal GPS is still possible in production units? Just a guess.
I just did a search of the entire 120 page user manual on the term GPS and there are exactly zero times that the term GPS is used in the manual... So maybe there isn't a GPS antenna under one of those covers....

wellfleet

and concluded that there's no logical reason why GPS capability shouldn't be built into DSLR-sized and MFD cameras. Even my iPhone has built-in GPS.

:banghead::cussing::angry:

Maybe this might have been the "logical" reason - Why do Panasonic, Leica, FujiFilm, Samsung and Nikon censor their GPS cameras? | Ogle Earth

Cuba used to have similar laws, but apparently now will only stop you if you have a dedicated GPS unit vs phone, camera, etc.

Ming Thein also confirmed that GPS would be an external unit.

D&A

Its all a bit confusing and with some uncertainty. On the Leica forums, Neil D who is in the U.K. I believe, posted the following...

" according to Ffordes manager he was told by Hasselblad that the X1D will be shipped without a built in GPS and that the GPS will be a separate item. The demo model that I tried today has the latest software where you can move the focus point by either touching the rear screen or by using the front and rear wheels.......... I think the latter is funky. If I remember rightly the rear wheel moves the focus point up and down and the front wheel moves it left or right ...... after you press one of the buttons on top.
The handling of the camera feels amazing and the IVF is so so. The weight with the 90mm lens is less that the SL with the Noctilux and feels great in the hand. As for the GPS I'm not that bothered but over alll the camera feels nice"

and continued to say " We chatted about it for ~5 minutes and he definitely said that the GPS will no longer fit in the body and that it will be a separate item. I looked on B&H and they are still showing with built in GPS so I don't know........ just passing on what I heard today."

Dave (D&A)

tashley

Subscriber Member
My dealer asked Hassy for info on this in November and was told that

"The X1D customer units will have the GPS enabled."

For me, the point is less whether it does or doesn't have it but that it is now the 31st December, the month in which, after many delays, shipment to customers was confirmed, and yet something as basic as this is still unknown.

Like Joe, my enthusiasm is fading. We are asked to believe that it has shipped but its actual specification remains in the the vapourware category.

Seriously, not good.

hcubell

Thanks Josh.

Another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1tyQO2Xec

When he describes GPS (at about 5'34"), he refers to a "GPS module" that "fits into the hot shoe", contrary to the original announcement/spec that suggested a built-in GPS capability. It appears that GPS will not be built-in. :(

I've played with almost 100 X1D RAW files so far (provided by people who have used demo cameras) and none of them have GPS metadata in the EXIF. Not a deal breaker (for me) but definitely a fail if this proves to be correct.

I've used hot shoe GPS accessories before (with Nikon) and they're expensive and a PITA, IMHO. I even designed and built one to see how difficult it would be, and concluded that there's no logical reason why GPS capability shouldn't be built into DSLR-sized and MFD cameras. Even my iPhone has built-in GPS.

:banghead::cussing::angry:
Joe, the guy in the video refers to the GPS module as a "standard" feature. I am sure that if the GPS module truly were a separate device that you have to mount on the hot shoe, it would not be a "standard" item, i.e., included with the X1D body. It would be a separate accessory that you would have to buy from Hasselblad. This is the case with the H series cameras. I tend to believe that the guy was wrong about it sitting in the hot shoe for the flash. I would believe Ove B as the Product Manager who said that the GPS was built into the camera body.

D&A

Joe, the guy in the video refers to the GPS module as a "standard" feature. I am sure that if the GPS module truly were a separate device that you have to mount on the hot shoe, it would not be a "standard" item, i.e., included with the X1D body. It would be a separate accessory that you would have to buy from Hasselblad. This is the case with the H series cameras. I tend to believe that the guy was wrong about it sitting in the hot shoe for the flash. I would believe Ove B as the Product Manager who said that the GPS was built into the camera body.
I too would tend to believe the product manager "but", look at the dates of the two videos. The one with Ove the product manager was a much earlier video taken during Photokina and it's possible for whatever reason, that things have changed since that time or even since November. Unless there is clarification directly from Hasselblad, I think it's simply waiting until someone acquires a production unit in hand to sort things out.

Dave (D&A)

Godfrey

Lack of GPS in-camera means little to me. I look to my Leica M-D, it doesn't have any (or any of the other 'features' that everyone seems to be desperate about these days) and I have to say, I love using that camera the most of all my cameras.

In over fifty years of doing photography, I've never "needed" GPS data before, and I still don't really want it—although I do find it amusing when I look at a set of photos made on a shoot with the SL and observe my weird "random walk" meandering about path on the map. It gives me a chuckle. I then strip the GPS data out before I post the photos, along with 99% of the rest of the EXIF data.

Call me a Luddite, set in my ways, or whatever. It just seems to me that what's important are the photographs, not the metadata ... unless you're doing science data acquisition or forensics, at which point the X1D is probably not the right tool in the first place.

G

Eli

My dealer asked Hassy for info on this in November and was told that

"The X1D customer units will have the GPS enabled."

For me, the point is less whether it does or doesn't have it but that it is now the 31st December, the month in which, after many delays, shipment to customers was confirmed, and yet something as basic as this is still unknown.

Like Joe, my enthusiasm is fading. We are asked to believe that it has shipped but its actual specification remains in the the vapourware category.

Seriously, not good.
I don't see what the panic is about... This camera is NOT about the GPS, it's about taking amazing pictures in a physical form that's tiny and light, unlike anything out there at the moment. It seems to me that Hasselblad should be given credit for the astounding progress it is making in the firmware it is putting out, from version to version. If the improvements are any indication of the commitment and energy of Hasselblad to the future high quality of this platform, then I, for one, am excited.

So, if I need a GPS, I have my iPhone to take a snapshot of whatever I need a record of, and I have an excellent GPS stamp of the place and image. Or, for $200, I can buy an Apple Watch or a FitBit and keep track of my location with a $.50 notebook or an extra frame on my X1D, taking a screenshot of my "gps". Big deal.

I am looking forward to my X1D in a few days/weeks, given the kind of progress we are recently seeing. Yes, like the rest of you, I want my X1D now, but I an also wait (Hasselblad is not the only high-tech company that has growing/learning pains).

Overall, I like what I am seeing and hearing, and I am becoming a Hassi fanboy again (I used to be an old film Hasselblad user in the old days).

I've probably missed a few reply's. Just wanted to point out again that I processed those images in Bridge because it's what I'm familiar with. Phocus would probably give "better results" but I'm happy with what adobe camera raw did. I don't think I did much work on them. Some minor exposure adjustments and shadow compensation. I didn't have a flash with me, so there are one of two that I did adjust a little more in PS to bring his face out a little more by dodging in the shots of him under the lights. If people want, I can put a folder on dropbox with some raws after the weekend. I think I talked my wife and a friend into letting me shoot them tonight before we go out. I'm going to try to use the Profoto B1 air with the Nikon remote and see how that works on manual and TTL.

D&A

Josh, in the past I was actually pleased with Adobe camera raw for Hassy files and felt ot did a more than adaquate job with those files although I've heard good things about Phocus but never compared the two. Looking forward to your images.

In regards to previous posts, I think we can all agree that everyone has different expectations and needs of various features of a new camera and what may be of a concern for one may not be of a concern for another. Neverless these differences should be respected.

Dave (D&A)

wellfleet

I read his comment differently. My read was that, depending upon the laws of the particular country to which the X1Ds are shipped, there may or may not be an internal GPS.
My mistake, I received an email from his account and thought it was a response from Ming. Having just looked again, I see he was the 2nd responder.

I emailed Hasselblad yesterday and I'm still waiting for a response, but I'm with Godfrey on this one - I don't care. Nor do I care if it doesn't have image stabilization, an articulating screen, and numerous other amenities, as I remember when I thought a Nikon Photomic FTn was the best there was.

Last edited:
Here are some more thoughts on the camera itself. After playing around with it, I just can't overstate the beauty of the form factor in my hand and the fact that you are holding a medium format camera. The main thing that needs to be updated in my opinion is the time between shots. two seconds is too long. And I'm sure this will be addressed before the cameras are shipped to customers or soon afterwards via the next firmware update. It's clear there are specs on the Hasselblad website that are not available yet with this firmware version. But with each firmware update, they have added major functions to the camera. So while it has taken longer than any of us wanted, I'm confident that they will get it there. The specs say 1.7-2.3 FPS, so they clearly don't intend for the production camera to have that much of a lag between taking the image and being able to see the viewfinder again. I was able to connect the wifi to the focus mobile app and it does work, although you can't take a picture while viewing the image. so you have to go back and forth. The control s are also set up for the H5/6. So I was actaully able to change the AF to AF-C and it stayed with that setting even after I took it off wifi. I don't think the AF behavior really changed, but it's not available as a selection in the menu on the camera. Also, via wifi the Phocus app is MUCH faster in terms of firing the camera. Let me see if I can attach the movie clip. Here's a link to the video clip: https://vimeo.com/197632891

Also to illustrate my first sentence... Look at the difference in size. For me this is a huge benefit and reason for any mirrorless system, but especially medium format.

Attachments