The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

How did you feel about the lenses and their relative slowness? You mentioned you would use it for portrait, which is what I want to use it for, but I am slightly concerned about achieving enough subject/background separation at the largest aperture on the 90mm (3.2).

Great little write-ups btw. Thanks for that :)
I don't have anyone to test it against now, other than my Starbucks cup, actually I can get the background out of focus ok. But I would say the potential bigger concern is not being able to focus closer with the lens. The pic of my dog was at f/3.2 if that helps. Here it is again.

Attachments

Erik,

Is it you contention that Hassleblad has been shipping these cameras to many different people -- other than "friends and family" -- but that they're just not saying.

I guess the camera's so great that the thousands of happy customers are all out taking pictures and can't be bothered with posting.

You don't have to rebut every comment that is critical of Hasselblad. They can do so themselves. If they choose.

SG
I was interested if he had evidence of what he was saying or if it was a theory. I was not rebutting anything :)

According to Hasselblad they started shipping the X1D on the 12th of December, and just like a lot of other people I was wondering where those units ended up. If they had even arrived.

KeithL

I don't have anyone to test it against now, other than my Starbucks cup, actually I can get the background out of focus ok. But I would say the potential bigger concern is not being able to focus closer with the lens. The pic of my dog was at f/3.2 if that helps. Here it is again.
Hey, what a beaut!

That is, the dog, at least. We'll have to wait to see if the camera follows suit.

D&A

Sure Josh...keep promoting those lovely pics of your dog for modeling jobs, so you can recoop the funds for your future X1D...LOL.

Although the lens is f3.2, we can keep in mind that this is cropped medium format when it comes to depth of field, so that f3.2 Hassy lens has a depth of field equivalent to a faster 35mm full frame lens. Maybe not a f1.4 35 mm lens but neverless a shallower depth of field than a f3.2 35mm lens.So depth of field wise, the lens is not as slow as it might sound/appear to be.

Dave (D&A)I

Last edited:
Sure Josh...keep promoting those lovely pics of your dog for modeling jobs, so you can recoop the funds for your future X1D...LOL.

Although the lens is f3.2, we can keep in mind that this is cropped medium format when it comes to depth of field, so that f3.2 Hassy lens has a depth of field equivalent to a faster 35mm full frame lens. Maybe not a f1.4 35 mm lens but neverless a shallower deprh of field than a f3.2 35mm lens.So depth of field wise, the lens is not as slow as it might sound/appear to be.

Dave (D&A)I
I do need a model for a portrait workshop...

You are right Dave, but even bearing that in mind the lenses (for portraits at least) would not be considered fast. f3.2 is around the equivalent of f2.5 on a 35mm sensor or f1.6 on a cropped sensor.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was interested if he had evidence of what he was saying or if it was a theory. I was not rebutting anything :)

According to Hasselblad they started shipping the X1D on the 12th of December, and just like a lot of other people I was wondering where those units ended up. If they had even arrived.
I wasn't the one who said that they went to friends & family - if you look back you'll see that I replied to that comment from JeRuFo. However, the internet beyond Kevin Raber and Hasselblad was strangely silent about real people getting real cameras. Hopefully that will now change when they finally arrive in people's hands.

D&A

I do need a model for a portrait workshop...

You are right Dave, but even bearing that in mind the lenses (for portraits at least) would not be considered fast. f3.2 is around the equivalent of f2.5 on a 35mm sensor or f1.6 on a cropped sensor.
You too are correct. With regards to depth of field differences, its only a moderately-small difference between the cropped MFD sensor and full frame 35mm in the example we are talking about. Still f2.5 for portrait is preferable to f3.2. Every bit helps.

Dave (D&A)

Yeah, for portraits I usually end up shooting at 3.2-3.5 with medium format, unless I really want to get some bokeh going.

And I think my dog, Houston (pronounced the NY way lol) may just make money take pictures with the camera. :ROTFL:

Attachments

D&A

Yeah, for portraits I usually end up shooting at 3.2-3.5 with medium format, unless I really want to get some bokeh going.

And I think my dog, Houston (pronounced the NY way lol) may just make money take pictures with the camera. :ROTFL:
Josh, do you mean pronounced " Howston"? Thats the only way this former and most New Yorkers refered to it, especially when speaking of the avenue on the lower east side! :)

Dave (D&A)

Yes, and very occasionally we call her Howlston! But lucky for us she only howls 3/4 times a year! She's a beagle/English bulldog mix.

iiiNelson

Thanks for the write up. Seems like a good baseline to start with in mirrorless MF cameras. I'd like to see how this compares to the Fuji once both are released and I'd also like to see how mirrorless MF develops/matures. This seems to be an area where I think mirrorless may surpass MF DSLR since they aren't know for their speed or features.

D&A

Yes, and very occasionally we call her Howlston! But lucky for us she only howls 3/4 times a year! She's a beagle/English bulldog mix.
" Howlston"...love it! Expect her to howl more each time with delight, when you take her pic with the X1D. You know you could have called her Madison :).

One thing that I found with the X1D that was a bit perplexing, was how various menu choices resulted in slowing down the camera in a number of unexpected ways...such as whether to write Raw only or Raw/joegs (which you mentioned Josh) and other optional setting which I noted at the time using a demo.

Its as though Hasselblad was a bit rushed with firmware development/revisions and decided to get the camera out now rather than wait and develop it further and subsequently address these issues in further updates after release. Not a major problem but it may explain the delays.

Dave (D&A)

Yeah, we can't know the decision making process in implementing the settings in the current firmware. But if the choice was between faster raws or faster jpgs, I'm glad they chose the faster raws. My guess is that there will be another firmware update in the next couple weeks that will fix all of these little things.

D&A

Yeah, we can't know the decision making process in implementing the settings in the current firmware. But if the choice was between faster raws or faster jpgs, I'm glad they chose the faster raws. My guess is that there will be another firmware update in the next couple weeks that will fix all of these little things.
Yes agree there will be a # of firmware updates in near future that will address operational speed and functionality. That seems to be the norm these days

As I alluded tp in an earlier post today, the readout speed in this generation 1 Sony 50mp cropped MF sensor, may be a limiting factor in address speed effeciency in a number of operational processes including the choice of EVF in this new generation mirrorless MFD bodies.

Dave (D&A)

hcubell

Thanks for the write up. Seems like a good baseline to start with in mirrorless MF cameras. I'd like to see how this compares to the Fuji once both are released and I'd also like to see how mirrorless MF develops/matures. This seems to be an area where I think mirrorless may surpass MF DSLR since they aren't know for their speed or features.
One thing MF DSLRs ARE known for are the huge, beautiful optical viewfinders in cameras like the H series and the XF. Composing images through those viewfinders is a sight to behold. The EVF in the X1D sounds like it is "ok." A big hurdle to overcome in the next generation of the X1D and the Fuji GFX will be to close the gap between the OVF and the EVFs. For whatever reason, they did not incorporate even today's state of the art EVF like you find in the Leica SL. Nobody seems to know if that was an issue of exclusivity for that EVF to Leica, a power management issue, or a sensor readout issue. I seriously doubt that it was a cost issue.

iiiNelson

One thing MF DSLRs ARE known for are the huge, beautiful optical viewfinders in cameras like the H series and the XF. Composing images through those viewfinders is a sight to behold. The EVF in the X1D sounds like it is "ok." A big hurdle to overcome in the next generation of the X1D and the Fuji GFX will be to close the gap between the OVF and the EVFs. For whatever reason, they did not incorporate even today's state of the art EVF like you find in the Leica SL. Nobody seems to know if that was an issue of exclusivity for that EVF to Leica, a power management issue, or a sensor readout issue. I seriously doubt that it was a cost issue.
My guess would be an exclusivity issue versus a readout issue.

I think the readout would affect the maximum frame rate and I believe that I read the Fuji will run around 60fps (while something closer to 90fps is ideal for most applications.) The Fuji is supposed to be using the 3.69 million dot EVF that sounds a lot like the one that's in the Leica Q. Consequently the Panasonic GH5 looks like it'll use that EVF as well. I wonder if Leica had a 12-18 months of exclusive rights to these EVF's. We may know the answer if the Generation 3 Sony A7/A9 series uses these 3.69 or 4.4 million dot EVF's in them.

hcubell

My guess would be an exclusivity issue versus a readout issue.

I think the readout would affect the maximum frame rate and I believe that I read the Fuji will run around 60fps (while something closer to 90fps is ideal for most applications.) The Fuji is supposed to be using the 3.69 million dot EVF that sounds a lot like the one that's in the Leica Q. Consequently the Panasonic GH5 looks like it'll use that EVF as well. I wonder if Leica had a 12-18 months of exclusive rights to these EVF's. We may know the answer if the Generation 3 Sony A7/A9 series uses these 3.69 or 4.4 million dot EVF's in them.
Hard to believe that the sales volume of Leica SLs would allow Leica to order enough of those EVFs from Epson (?) to be able to obtain exclusivity for an extended period.

Dustbak

Wow, the "Osbourne Syndrome". Boy does that bring back memories. Can you imagine trying to download X1D files onto an Osbourne I? :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

Wow! Does the Osbourne 1 bring back memories :) The first 'portable computer' only weighing 10kg's. This was one of my first computers in the early '80's. One floppy for CP/M and I guess 160 more disks for 1 file.

MomentsForZen

Very pleased to read that shipments to customers appear to be starting in ernest.

With respect to weatherproofing, I shall recall a comment from several hundred messages back in this thread ... That I would be convinced that the ports and other potential openings were weathersealed as long as I could see weathersealing on a more obvious opening. The Hasselblad engineers would be well aware that weatherproofing is only as good as the weakest seal. It would be pointless to seal one opening and leave another unsealed. Hence, if the lens-to-body interface is weathersealed, I would be pretty confident that the same level of sealing (or better) was present on all other openings.

With respect to the "revolutionary" nature of the X1D (and GFX) ... I see the sensor-aspect of the X1D as an incremental step along the path for cameras to have larger sensors. I would admit to disliking the term "medium format" for the Sony 44mm x 33mm sensor. I would reserve "medium format" for a considerably larger sensor. I think of the Sony 44mm x 33mm sensor as being "super-full-frame" or similar name, and that it is just another option from 1", to micro 4/3rds, to APS-C, to FF, to Super-FF. The X1D may have other revolutionary aspects, but i think that the sensor is evolutionary.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

fotografz

This system is in its' infancy. We don't know the eventual lens line-up including a Macro optic, or whether extension tubes will be offered. If the initial kit is successful in market you can be sure Hasselblad will take advantage of the opportunity to design and sell more native lenses.

It was years before Leica offered the S-100/2 ... so for a lot of portrait work and shallow DOF images, I used the Hasselblad HC-100/2.2 with the Leica H to S adapter until I secured the S-100/2. The HC Extension tubes also worked with the HC- 100/2.2. If I were getting this kit with portraits in mind, I'd seriously consider the HC-100/2.2 which is not a large, bulky lens considering the f/2.2 max aperture.

However, while not optimal, 90/3.2 seems workable for most portrait work if you like the eyes and nose in focus :)

- Marc