The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Hasselblad V-series body

Pelorus

SWC/M they are just the ultimate point and shoot with that beautiful Biogon lens. So small they fit in the palm of your hand and so simple to use. A simple, no fuss camera. Always the best.

PhiloFarmer

OK...I cant resist any longer. From 1975 to 2005 I shot the reliable hand-winder (love that "feel"...!) 500CM, with all sorts of great V-glass.

In 2005, I packed it away for a while, and bought a used 555ELD. Never looked back.....

It's a dream to use, and a workhorse to ride!

Used multiple digital backs with it (Kodak, Aptus, Credo)...flawless rendering.

Also have a "spare" ELD, and use the FlexBody when I can't convince myself to pack around the Sinar.

You will be pleased, regardless of which body you choose...if it really fits both your hands and your needs.

Cheers,

Hank

MomentsForZen

Hi there @PhiloFarmer.

I have no doubts that I will enjoy whichever model I go with!

I have had a good deal of experience with the 500C/M, and I have always been amazed how easy it is to support and use - the balance and size is excellent. Not the heavy, unwieldy beast that some people think it would be when they see it.

And, yes, I too love the manual winder. Exercise for the fingers, for the ears (it sounds so reassuring) and for the soul. I don't know how you could forgo this satisfying exercise and go to a model with a motor winder such as the 555ELD??

One other thing that I am noticing here is that many of the respondents have multiple Hasselblad bodies - This wasn't something that I expected. I'm not sure that I could share my attention around - i.e., be "polycamerous" !!

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Charles S

On the topic of multiple bodies, I use a C/M, a CX and an ELX, and I shoot mostly with a digital back.
The C/M is the one I use most often, but when shooting portraits in a studio which I tend to shoot with a tripod and a prism, the ELX makes life a lot easier since you can stay engaged with the subject.

And yes, I also do enjoy the feeling of winding the manual bodies and the slight resistance of the film back, when i shoot film.

Hi there @PhiloFarmer.

I have no doubts that I will enjoy whichever model I go with!

I have had a good deal of experience with the 500C/M, and I have always been amazed how easy it is to support and use - the balance and size is excellent. Not the heavy, unwieldy beast that some people think it would be when they see it.

And, yes, I too love the manual winder. Exercise for the fingers, for the ears (it sounds so reassuring) and for the soul. I don't know how you could forgo this satisfying exercise and go to a model with a motor winder such as the 555ELD??

One other thing that I am noticing here is that many of the respondents have multiple Hasselblad bodies - This wasn't something that I expected. I'm not sure that I could share my attention around - i.e., be "polycamerous" !!

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Last edited: