The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An Afternoon with DTG

woodyspedden

I have the latest Aperture Raw update (2.5) and Hasselblad 39 & 50 are not on the list. The 31 is. I have corrected the error about shutter speeds. I don't know how that happened, I was looking at the tech specs to confirm what I was writing and I could have sworn I hit the "8" and not the "5". Oh well, all fixed up now.
Carlos

I have the H3DII-39 and import with no problems into Aperture

Woody

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The point I was making there Doug was that the H3D is not as tightly locked as everyone thinks it is. What I do think is that someone should whip up a belt mounted battery using a FireWire cable to power the system for use on technical backs as opposed to buying the data storage unit.

Carlos,

You are correct...for the past 9 months I have used a belt mounted 12V universal battery and firewire adapter to do exactly what you describe on an Alpa TC.

Please refer to the following:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2453&highlight=image+bank

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503090-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450_MP3450_myPower_ALL_Universal.html

Works great with a long life...storage is to CF card of the H3D II 39 back.

Bob

fotografz

David, any comment on Farkas' assertion that the true speed when stopped down is closer to 1/650th if not stopped down?

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/ (search for "clocked" on the page to jump to the relevant remark).

I'm not saying it's a big deal either way, but I'm curious.

As my token correction the P65+ (and any future backs) do not require a wake-up cable when used on a tech camera, and for the other P+ backs which do require a wake-up signal you can purchase an optional cable release which both wakes up the camera and triggers the shutter with a single button push. IMO, that is a much much smaller issue than having to carry an external battery/hard-drive. After all that Alpa TC with large format lens and a digital back is a really great (if exotic) compact system; having to attach a large databank (about the same size as the alpa+back itself) really kills the small-and-portable advantage of that system.

Doug Peterson [URL="mailto:[email protected]](Email Me)[/URL]
Head of Technical Services at Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: [URL="http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/]Read Latest or Sign Up[/URL]
Doug, are you thinking of the original Image Bank from the Imacon days? That one was a pretty big. The Hasselblad Image Bank-II is much smaller. I just clip it on my belt. In cold weather I put it in an inside pocket and run the FW/800 cord down my sleve ... it keeps the battery warm in cold weather shooting. What I like is capturing up to 1000 shots with unlimited burst depth, you can shoot as fast as the camera or lights will allow.

etrigan63

Is it version 2.1.2? That's the one I'm using, and it opens files from my H3D-II/31 and 39.
Yep, version 2.1.2 with all of the RAW Updates. What gets me is that the RAW Updates are system-wide so the Finder should be able to display a thumbnail. but all I get are blank icons.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Carlos,

I had problems with the 3FR files in Aperture until this last 2.5 update which fixed everything. I was able to import FFF files for the previous two RAW updates, but that is no longer needed. I'm shooting the H3DII39.

Best,

Ray

etrigan63

I have reinstalled the 2.5 update and no soap. Can someone send me a link to H3DII/39 3FR file so I can test and see if it is the H3DII/50 files that are causing me grief?

[UPDATE: Apparently the H3DII/50 is NOT supported yet. I downloaded a sample FFF file from DTG (thanks Jordan!) and I could see a thumbnail from Finder. This bodes well for being able to open the file in Aperture (and iPhoto for that matter.)]

[UPDATE 2: Files from the H3DII/31 & 39 import perfectly. The files from the /50 are still a mystery to the Mac.]

Last edited:

PeterA

Thanks for the link to an alternative power source Bob. I am happy with the Image bank 11 most of the time - but for $100 or so this represents a much cheaper alternative to the Image Bank.

Carlos,

You are correct...for the past 9 months I have used a belt mounted 12V universal battery and firewire adapter to do exactly what you describe on an Alpa TC.

Please refer to the following:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2453&highlight=image+bank

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503090-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450_MP3450_myPower_ALL_Universal.html

Works great with a long life...storage is to CF card of the H3D II 39 back.

Bob
Thanks Bob, That was one I wasn't aware of.

David

According to Leica, they will take the aperture effect into account and regulate the shutter so that if you have it set to 1/500th, it will fire at 1/500th regardless of aperture setting. I would be very curious as to the technical details of how the H system works and what the specs are.

David
Sounds like they are doing something similar to our True Exposure which we started in 2002, so they are only 7 years behind. ;) (Joke!)

Attached is a description of the functionality.

David

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, are you thinking of the original Image Bank from the Imacon days? That one was a pretty big. The Hasselblad Image Bank-II is much smaller. I just clip it on my belt. In cold weather I put it in an inside pocket and run the FW/800 cord down my sleve ... it keeps the battery warm in cold weather shooting. What I like is capturing up to 1000 shots with unlimited burst depth, you can shoot as fast as the camera or lights will allow.

With permission from DocMoore to use his AlpaTC+H3D snapshot.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Personally I would prefer to have a fully autonomous unit, especially when using something mini like an Alpa TC. In my style of shooting I can't fill an 8gb CF card in a day, let alone one continuous shoot, nor would I want all of my images in one basket. But like any other design choice in MFD I'm sure there are several strong positives to go along with the negatives. The extended battery life is really cool for instance.

And actually when I was in college I use a Valeo 17wi which shot to a Leaf equivalent of the Image Bank and loved it. In the case of the Valeo 17 you could buy a (ridiculously priced) bracket to fit underneath the camera body which held the hard-drive/batteries. Can you do that with the Hassy (honestly asking, I have no idea)? I'm not sure I would still be as in love with it since CF card prices/sizes have improved so much since then, but I did like it when I was using it.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yeah Doug, the Image Bank-II is a whopper! NOT! LOL!
Marc,

I agree that the size of the IB is better...after missing your sale last year I finally found one this week at a decent price. I look forward to the ability to carry multiple Sony InfoLithium batteries whenout for an extended time.

Bob