The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An Afternoon with DTG

etrigan63

Local (to Florida) Hassy dealer DTG invited me to their suite at the Graphics of the Americas Expo in Miami Beach, FL where I got about two hours of "hands on" time with the Hasselblad H-System. I have posted my findings from this brief encounter on my blog. Enjoy!

Link

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Carlos,
Sorry I missed you over there. I stopped the show on Thursday.
I enjoyed reading your review. The format and content was excellent.
Keep up the good work.

Lance

woodyspedden

Local (to Florida) Hassy dealer DTG invited me to their suite at the Graphics of the Americas Expo in Miami Beach, FL where I got about two hours of "hands on" time with the Hasselblad H-System. I have posted my findings from this brief encounter on my blog. Enjoy!

Link
Carlos

Just a clarification. Except for the lens corrections in DAC in Phocus, Aperture processes the 3fff files just fine

Woody

etrigan63

I cannot import the images into Aperture. I get errors when I try. The camera saved them as 3FR files. Same story with Lightroom 2.3. I can only open the files with Phocus.

etrigan63

I have the latest Aperture Raw update (2.5) and Hasselblad 39 & 50 are not on the list. The 31 is. I have corrected the error about shutter speeds. I don't know how that happened, I was looking at the tech specs to confirm what I was writing and I could have sworn I hit the "8" and not the "5". Oh well, all fixed up now.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
One more clarification...

The max shutter speed is 1/800s not 1/500s as stated.
David, any comment on Farkas' assertion that the true speed when stopped down is closer to 1/650th if not stopped down?

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/ (search for "clocked" on the page to jump to the relevant remark).

I'm not saying it's a big deal either way, but I'm curious.

As my token correction the P65+ (and any future backs) do not require a wake-up cable when used on a tech camera, and for the other P+ backs which do require a wake-up signal you can purchase an optional cable release which both wakes up the camera and triggers the shutter with a single button push. IMO, that is a much much smaller issue than having to carry an external battery/hard-drive. After all that Alpa TC with large format lens and a digital back is a really great (if exotic) compact system; having to attach a large databank (about the same size as the alpa+back itself) really kills the small-and-portable advantage of that system.

Doug Peterson [URL="mailto:[email protected]](Email Me)[/URL]
Head of Technical Services at Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: [URL="http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/]Read Latest or Sign Up[/URL]

etrigan63

The point I was making there Doug was that the H3D is not as tightly locked as everyone thinks it is. What I do think is that someone should whip up a belt mounted battery using a FireWire cable to power the system for use on technical backs as opposed to buying the data storage unit.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Doug:

All leaf shutters change effective speed as they are stopped down; it is a physical limitation of their design. Also one of the reasons that most leaf-shutter lenses are optically slower than their non-shuttered counterparts -- need to keep the overall delta change on aperture diameter small so as not to negatively impact net exposure ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The point I was making there Doug was that the H3D is not as tightly locked as everyone thinks it is. What I do think is that someone should whip up a belt mounted battery using a FireWire cable to power the system for use on technical backs as opposed to buying the data storage unit.
Belt mounted power supply for powerful hand-held device used to shoot visually stunning subjects?

Who ya gonna call?

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: [URL="http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/]Read Latest or Sign Up[/URL]

David, any comment on Farkas' assertion that the true speed when stopped down is closer to 1/650th if not stopped down?

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/ (search for "clocked" on the page to jump to the relevant remark).

I'm not saying it's a big deal either way, but I'm curious.

As my token correction the P65+ (and any future backs) do not require a wake-up cable when used on a tech camera, and for the other P+ backs which do require a wake-up signal you can purchase an optional cable release which both wakes up the camera and triggers the shutter with a single button push. IMO, that is a much much smaller issue than having to carry an external battery/hard-drive. After all that Alpa TC with large format lens and a digital back is a really great (if exotic) compact system; having to attach a large databank (about the same size as the alpa+back itself) really kills the small-and-portable advantage of that system.

Doug Peterson
I don't the ins and out of their test so hard to comment. But Jack also makes a correct and valid point.

Also the comment of 'Leaf shutters don't work in a vacuum' in the same article is nonsense. Why? Hasselblad Apollo missions. I think the moon is pretty vacuum-esque! ;)

Also there are already a couple of firewire battery solutions which I have seen people use to success.

Now if you want to talk about limitations of focal plane shutters.....

Best,

David

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug:

All leaf shutters change effective speed as they are stopped down; it is a physical limitation of their design. Also one of the reasons that most leaf-shutter lenses are optically slower than their non-shuttered counterparts -- need to keep the overall delta change on aperture diameter small so as not to negatively impact net exposure ;)
Now you see that is why I love this job.

I learn something new every day.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Now if you want to talk about limitations of focal plane shutters.....
David
touche' :salute:

Though, maybe at some point we'll have the last laugh if Mamiya is successful in releasing a line of leaf shutter lenses so that our platform would have the benefits of both leaf and focal plane shutters.

I love ya David, I hope we never stop bickering :).

Doug

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't the ins and out of their test so hard to comment. But Jack also makes a correct and valid point.

Also the comment of 'Leaf shutters don't work in a vacuum' in the same article is nonsense. Why? Hasselblad Apollo missions.
Dave:

They probably were thinking of really old view lens leaf shutters that used air bladders or pistons to regulate speed!

--- :ROTFL:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Also the comment of 'Leaf shutters don't work in a vacuum' in the same article is nonsense. Why? Hasselblad Apollo missions. I think the moon is pretty vacuum-esque! ;)
Umm... this was a figure of speech, not a technical limitation.

"Leaf shutters do not work in a vacuum. Their speed is dictated by the aperture setting as well."​

In other words, the leaf shutter is not independent of other factors. So, it does not "function" in a vacuum. Sorry for the confusion.

According to Leica, they will take the aperture effect into account and regulate the shutter so that if you have it set to 1/500th, it will fire at 1/500th regardless of aperture setting. I would be very curious as to the technical details of how the H system works and what the specs are.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Though, maybe at some point we'll have the last laugh if Mamiya is successful in releasing a line of leaf shutter lenses so that our platform would have the benefits of both leaf and focal plane shutters.
Leaf and focal plane in the same camera.... why does that sound so familiar? ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Seriously, no one is going to give me props on the Ghost Busters joke?

I thought that was the funniest thing I've said in ages.

Umm... this was a figure of speech, not a technical limitation.

"Leaf shutters do not work in a vacuum. Their speed is dictated by the aperture setting as well."​

In other words, the leaf shutter is not independent of other factors. So, it does not "function" in a vacuum. Sorry for the confusion.

According to Leica, they will take the aperture effect into account and regulate the shutter so that if you have it set to 1/500th, it will fire at 1/500th regardless of aperture setting. I would be very curious as to the technical details of how the H system works and what the specs are.

David
Ahah! Understood.

I have a very interesting document regarding the exposure system on the H series. So interesting in fact, I can't locate it right now. So Ill get hold of it in the morning and post it up.

Best,

David