The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF telephoto focal length choice for landscapes (x/post)

drunkenspyder

Could you please send me a PM with info on the seller? Thanks!
I know this is an old thread, and I have no idea if the ebay seller still does this work [I haven't been able to find them], but I would sure love this info as well.

jng

I know this is an old thread, and I have no idea if the ebay seller still does this work [I haven't been able to find them], but I would sure love this info as well.
http://stores.ebay.com/litzstudio/

The item comes and goes from his eBay store website depending on whether he has one for sale (it looks like one just sold - was it you?). It looks like he fabricates these by assembling the V lens mount cannibalized from a Flexbody onto the Cambo lens plate. The adapter worked great for my 250SA but I ultimately decided to return it because with my particular copy I couldn't hit infinity focus with my 180mm CF (moot issue for the 250SA and 350SA, which don't have a hard infinity stop). The seller has since started including shims with the kit, which might have helped in my case. He readily accepted the return, so while I'm a bit disappointed it didn't work out, I have no complaints.

John

drunkenspyder

http://stores.ebay.com/litzstudio/

The item comes and goes from his eBay store website depending on whether he has one for sale (it looks like one just sold - was it you?). It looks like he fabricates these by assembling the V lens mount cannibalized from a Flexbody onto the Cambo lens plate. The adapter worked great for my 250SA but I ultimately decided to return it because with my particular copy I couldn't hit infinity focus with my 180mm CF (moot issue for the 250SA and 350SA, which don't have a hard infinity stop). The seller has since started including shims with the kit, which might have helped in my case. He readily accepted the return, so while I'm a bit disappointed it didn't work out, I have no complaints.

John
Wasn't me, but thanks for the incredibly helpful info John.

Jamgolf

I've been pleased with this adapter. I would also vouch for the seller.
Please do not expect Leica quality, but the adapter does what it is supposed to do.
Cheers!

drunkenspyder

I've been pleased with this adapter. I would also vouch for the seller.
Please do not expect Leica quality, but the adapter does what it is supposed to do.
Cheers!
Thanks. I have reached out. Will be nice to be able to use my 250 and [on the way] 350 Superachromats on the Cambo. Although, it seems that mostly it means I get to hike with two tripods. :loco:

This thread has caused an over-the-top GAS resurgence. I will pick up the 240 LS BR & TC this week, and in addition to the 350 SA, I also have a 500 Tele-APOtessar, and Mamiya APO 300/2.8 on the way. I was on the fence about that last piece, but photographing the moon up at Mono Lake with nothing longer than the Leica 180 [nice, but it's no SA, and I left the P1 and 250SA behind] convinced me of the merits of both the wider aperture and the longer reach.

Jamgolf

Thanks. I have reached out. Will be nice to be able to use my 250 and [on the way] 350 Superachromats on the Cambo. Although, it seems that mostly it means I get to hike with two tripods. :loco:

This thread has caused an over-the-top GAS resurgence. I will pick up the 240 LS BR & TC this week, and in addition to the 350 SA, I also have a 500 Tele-APOtessar, and Mamiya APO 300/2.8 on the way. I was on the fence about that last piece, but photographing the moon up at Mono Lake with nothing longer than the Leica 180 [nice, but it's no SA, and I left the P1 and 250SA behind] convinced me of the merits of both the wider aperture and the longer reach.
Oh wow - you are loading up on these long lenses. Serious case of GAS indeed - I am envious. Good for you :)
When you've had a chance to use and compare all the options, please share your finding. It would be great to get some first hand feedback.

jng

Jeez, Louise, I think you may have enough GAS for all of us, and that's saying something considering who hangs out in this forum! :p And you're either strong as an ox or will need to hire some porters to haul all that long glass to your shoots. Most definitely looking forward to hearing about your experiences with these long lenses!

John

P.S. I'm hoping to capture and then post some good images with my X1D + 250SA combination soon. The recent weather, work and my own laziness have been conspiring against this but I've vowed to reverse the trend soon!

drunkenspyder

Jeez, Louise, I think you may have enough GAS for all of us, and that's saying something considering who hangs out in this forum! :p And you're either strong as an ox or will need to hire some porters to haul all that long glass to your shoots. Most definitely looking forward to hearing about your experiences with these long lenses!

John

P.S. I'm hoping to capture and then post some good images with my X1D + 250SA combination soon. The recent weather, work and my own laziness have been conspiring against this but I've vowed to reverse the trend soon!
As a friend of mine is wont to say “Yes, well....”

I don’t plan on carrying it all. Though maybe this is a way to offer my kids a bigger allowance. :p What I hope to do is make some test shots and assessments about whatever is the most desirable lens to have on a given type of shoot (assuming all perform relatively satisfactorily). I will say this: the Trichro and Achro backs sure afford a lot of flexibility in cropping. Combined with a decent tele, I can see finally having the flexibility I have been seeking. I have this feeling that the 240/TC will still be the go-to combo if I can only travel with one long lens, in part because I have really become enamored of the P1 focus stacking tools. They’re not perfect, and they don’t work for transitory subjects, but it’s an additional benefit to go with the tele reach.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you go with the Phase One 240 LS and especially with the 2x converter I recommend using a long lens support system. It makes a big difference with respect to mirror slap and/or resonance.

drunkenspyder

If you go with the Phase One 240 LS and especially with the 2x converter I recommend using a long lens support system. It makes a big difference with respect to mirror slap and/or resonance.
Yes. As mentioned in the 300/Alpa thread, I am already set with RRS bits.

med

I am kind of surprised the 240 LS doesn't include an integrated tripod collar... seems like it would benefit from one!

drunkenspyder

I am kind of surprised the 240 LS doesn't include an integrated tripod collar... seems like it would benefit from one!
You and me both. When I was with my dealer yesterday—now that sounds funny—he showed me the S-K 120 HM TS lens. Beautiful. Loved the tilt-shift mechanisms. It had a tripod collar, and it is quite a bit lighter than the 240.

Off topic: When I am in the field, I like having both the XF and the Cambo, though the combination sure feels like a backbreaker sometimes. But a TS lens conceivably, albeit perhaps a little narrower perspective than I would like, makes it easier to consider taking only the XF. I dunno, maybe it's just as easy to carry the little Cambo and a couple of lenses. I marvel at the Rodies every time I set them next to any of the P1 lenses.

drunkenspyder

My Cambo-Hassy lens board adapter arrived today from Korea. Haven't shot with it yet, but I have to compliment the seller. Incredibly fast turnaround, and the build quality is quite nice. Here are some quick snaps on my 1600:
fullsizeoutput_deb6.jpgfullsizeoutput_deb5.jpgfullsizeoutput_deb4.jpg