The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ150

Assuming one is happy to focus manually, there are MF set-ups that go way beyond anything 35mm can deliver.

Care to run your comparisons for the following? -

80mm/1.9
85mm/1.2
50mm/1.2

All options available to medium format shooters using the Alpa FPS.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Can't comment on the Canon 85mm f/1.2 Mark I, but according to my tests the Canon 85mm f/1.2 Mark II does vignette obviously on an IQ260.

In ascending order of angle of view:

James Webb Space Telescope = 131400mm f/20 in 35mm format

Hubble Space Telescope = 57600mm f/24 in 35mm format

Canon 1200mm f/5.6L

Zeiss 1700mm f/4 + IQ3100 = 1094mm f/2.6 in 35mm format

Takumar 6x7 800mm f/4 + IQ3100 = 515mm f/2.6 in 35mm format

Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8

Nikon Nikkor 300mm f/2.0

Canon FD 400mm f/2.8L + Mamiya ZD: 288mm f/2.0 in 35mm format

Olympus 250mm f/2.0

Zoomar 180mm f/1.3

Kilfitt 250mm f/1.3 + IQ3100 = 161mm f/0.84 in 35mm format

Kilfitt 240mm f/1.2 + IQ3100 = 155mm f/0.77 in 35mm format

Leica Leitz-IR 150mm f/0.85 (IR)

Mitakon 135mm f/1.4

Canon FD 200mm f/1.8L + IQ3100 = 129mm f/1.16 in 35mm format

Leica ELCAN 90mm f/1.0

Simlar 130mm f/1.0 + IQ3100 = 84mm f/0.64 in 35mm format

Leica Leitz Summar 75mm f/0.85 (x-ray)

ISCO 115mm f/1.4 + Aptus 12 = 74mm f/0.9 in 35mm format

Canon 85mm f/1.2 + IQ3100 = 55mm f/0.77 in 35mm format

Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 + IQ3100 = 52mm f/1.2 in 35mm format

Zeiss 50mm f/0.7

Zeiss 35mm f/0.7

Canon 50mm f/1.2 + IQ3100 = 32mm f/0.77 in 35mm format

Sigma 20mm f/1.4

It appears that regarding the degree of bokehliciousness, the advantage of the 35mm format is at the wide-angle/standard side, while the advantage of the medium format is at the telephoto side. Fullframe is always the king, and with a "crop" sensor like the IQ3100 (as compared against 6x7) even with those legendary telephoto lenses the lead can be marginal. A top-end user like Gerald should use options such like the Canon 8x8 digital back, Spectral Instruments 4x4, LargeSense 9x11 etc to fully unleash the potentials of each lens.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Dear All,

*]Coming from a DSLR, I guess I have to get used to the slow and sometimes inaccurate Autofocus. I got the half body shots in focus, but I could get only 1/3rd of the full length ones in focus. I guess this is where the Hasselblad AF shines. I was shooting at f/3.5 (I know its too shallow), but on my canon I shoot at f/1.2 :) I'm just a shallow DOF guy.
[*]I hope PhaseOne implements something like a true focus through a firmware update. I've read Doug's article on gyroscopes being already present in the XF body. One of the many reasons why I stretched even more to invest in the XF body.

[/LIST]

First, congrats on your new system. I'm glad to hear you went with the XF - it's far superior to the DF/DF+, as others have said.

I strongly suggest you use Focus Trim for your new lens. Because I mainly shoot landscapes I do the trimming at infinity - you may do better to use what ever distance you most shoot at. It will make a significant difference to sharpness.

Bill

gerald.d

*sigh*

Once again context is ignored for the sake of - and yes, I'm perfectly happy to take a temporary ban for saying this - intellectual wankery.

How many people seriously consider a 20mm lens as suitable for portraits?

And why bring space telescopes into this? Utterly preposterous. And the Zeiss 0.7's? Close to unobtainable for mere mortals.

And as for the Canon 1200/5.6? Well I'm fairly confident in saying that I'm one of the very few people on the planet who has (a) had his headshot portrait taken with that lens wide open; and (b) test shot it on a FF MFDB with the Alpa FPS.

Oh. And you missed out the Jonel 200 inch f/16 from your list for some reason. Presumably that belongs in there somewhere, although the minimum focusing distance of 500m presents some challenges.

For the original question. Shooting portraits with the IQ150, there are options available that go beyond what is perceived to be the limits of fast MF portraiture glass.

Whether or not these are viable solutions for the OP or not is another matter entirely of course.

Deb,
This is in regards to the sometimes inaccurate Autofocus.

I am a bit surprised to hear your XF cannot focus correctly. Maybe your particular camera / lens needs to be adjusted. The new XF permits micro adjustments for individual lenses. They call it focus trim.

The new focusing screen matches the rectangle areas of the XF focus system. Maybe the problem is the focus point is just too big for pinpoint accuracy.

The final shipping ground glass has two rectangles, both smaller than the circle shown in the DF+ ground glass, and the smaller of which is quite tiny. They represent the average and spot focus areas respectively. It is a big improvement as far as indicating to the user exactly what the AF sensor is looking at. It should help tremendously when you see what the actual focus area is with the spot mode. To change from the default size AF area (outer rectangle) to the smaller, center area AF, select the AF Area icon from the XF top screen.
Thanks Steve, Yes I've noted that I'll use the spot focus for next time.

Dear All,

*]Coming from a DSLR, I guess I have to get used to the slow and sometimes inaccurate Autofocus. I got the half body shots in focus, but I could get only 1/3rd of the full length ones in focus. I guess this is where the Hasselblad AF shines. I was shooting at f/3.5 (I know its too shallow), but on my canon I shoot at f/1.2 :) I'm just a shallow DOF guy.
[*]I hope PhaseOne implements something like a true focus through a firmware update. I've read Doug's article on gyroscopes being already present in the XF body. One of the many reasons why I stretched even more to invest in the XF body.

[/LIST]

First, congrats on your new system. I'm glad to hear you went with the XF - it's far superior to the DF/DF+, as others have said.

I strongly suggest you use Focus Trim for your new lens. Because I mainly shoot landscapes I do the trimming at infinity - you may do better to use what ever distance you most shoot at. It will make a significant difference to sharpness.

Bill
Thanks Bill, Yeah focus trimming and using spot focus are on the agenda. Will test and get back with what I discover! :)

DB5

Nothing new here though, is there? The only (designed for) medium format lens that comes close would be the old Mamiya 80mm f/1.9.

The Canon /1.2's have been around for donkey's years, and MF never had anything (apart from the Mamiya 80/1.9) that got close to them.

Maybe - just maybe - the target market for MF has never had a big requirement for fast lenses in the standard to wide angle range.

For longer focal lengths there has always been close to parity (excepting the Canon 200/2 and 200/1.8). MF /2.8's exist at 120, 150, 200 and 300mm focal lengths.

I'm no technical expert, but presumably there are some challenges involved in building fast lenses with large image circles once you get under 100mm or so.

That being said, if you really, really, have to have fast glass on MF, there are options available to you thanks to cameras like the FPS and lenses such as the Canon 85/1.2 that gets close to covering the full frame MF sensor.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
The Contax 645 Zeiss 80mm f2 is an incredible lens. It's such a crying shame this system went under, it is still exceptionally popular, is at cult status now, and mostly for that one lens, and surely that popularity means something to Hasselblad and Phase One? This wouldn't bother me if Phase One continued to offer backs in the Contax 645 mount.

The Mamiya 1.9 proves it's easily possible too. This lens is OK but it's old and sometimes it looks weird. Can't they update, upgrade and build on that design?

Then there is a Rollei PQ Xenotar Schneider 80mm f2. It's stellar. But there is no way to use it elsewhere and no way to use a decent modern back on the Rollei. Again a crying shame this system went under! The fact it is already a Schneider design makes it even more bizarre it's not a Phase One SK option.

The Norita 80mm f2 again shows it's possible.

Come on Phase One, Hasselblad. Give us an 80mm f2!

Dear All,

In my last post I had mentioned that I finally received my PhaseOne XF camera system along with the IQ150 back and the 80mm blue ring lens. After reading through all material and some tests, I finally made some pictures of my son in my home studio. A few observations though:
  • Man this thing is heavy!
  • Coming from a DSLR, I guess I have to get used to the slow and sometimes inaccurate Autofocus. I got the half body shots in focus, but I could get only 1/3rd of the full length ones in focus. I guess this is where the Hasselblad AF shines. I was shooting at f/3.5 (I know its too shallow), but on my canon I shoot at f/1.2 :) I'm just a shallow DOF guy.
  • I hope PhaseOne implements something like a true focus through a firmware update. I've read Doug's article on gyroscopes being already present in the XF body. One of the many reasons why I stretched even more to invest in the XF body.
  • Colors and detail are fascinating & superb!
  • That shutter clap though!!!
  • The focus assist beam can be quite a distraction. I had a hard time getting my son to keep his eyes open.
  • I was anxious whether the Phase system will work with my existing Godox lights. It seems to be working so far. I still need to see though till what maximum shutter speed will it sync with the leaf shutter.

Well so thats about it so far. I guess I'll post in the fun with MF images thread too...

View attachment 124564

View attachment 124565

Here's the setup for these two shots. This is shot with the Canon. I couldn't move back any further, so had to switch to my Canon to get the scene in frame. The large modifier is a 7ft silver deep umbrella and the background is a Gravity Backdrops background.

View attachment 124566

Hope you like it! Let me know what you think...

Cheers!

Would you mind sharing how you triggered your Godox lights? I just got AD200 and XPro trigger (for my Sony). I have DF body and can't trigger my AD200 in manual mode.