The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF High ISO Image Thread

As promised I have posted some High ISO shots below from a H3D39 Mk2.

I chose a location specifically with bugger all light as well, as evenly lit / bright areas are less challenging for the sensor. So I shot inside my garage which is North facing. You can see it here...

So not a great deal of light around!

The next set of images are are the full frame. I am using our famously bad HCD28mm (Thats sarcasm by the way) at an initial exposure of 2.5 seconds at f16 and then shutter adjustments thereafter.

50 ISO

100 ISO

200 ISO

400 ISO

800 ISO

Now that doesn't tell you a lot of course! I have some central crops of the image but I would like a recommendation where to host them, where they won't get cut down to 1280xwhatever. Would be useful if they kept their full sizes at the crop.

Ideas?

Ill edit this post shortly and put some 1024 crops on, which PhotoBucket should leave alone.

Ok so here are some crops..

50 ISO

100 ISO

200 ISO

400 ISO

Best,

David

Last edited:
No problem! And I should say the 31MP (Due to the different sensor) is certainly ahead of the 39MP sensor in terms of high ISO performance.

A few more crops....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks real familiar to me and what I was pretty much expecting. The 800 is there and has it's noise but looks pretty well controlled. Like my back may need some extra love. You know 400 looks nice , I wonder if you went 1 stop under at 400 and pushed up if it actually maybe better than the 800 setting

Looks real familiar to me and what I was pretty much expecting. The 800 is there and has it's noise but looks pretty well controlled. Like my back may need some extra love. You know 400 looks nice , I wonder if you went 1 stop under at 400 and pushed up if it actually maybe better than the 800 setting
Mmmm you never know! Could well be.

I did actually underexpose the 800 shot a bit :rolleyes: (it was getting cold in there!) so it would have benefited from 1/3 more I reckon.. just to help the shadows!

I think it shows though that you could run around at 200ISO quite happily and at least 400-800 on the 31MP.

David

Stuart Richardson

Thanks David -- nice results! It is interesting how in almost all cameras, there is usually a much greater difference between the highest ISO and the second highest than there is between the lower ISO's. At 100%, 50-400 are not dramatically different, and then 800 is definitely a step down. That said, since they are such large files, it still gives you a usable image in many different situations. But I do see similar patterns in lots of cameras -- the DMR and M8, and my own Sinar digital back.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes when it hits it's wall it hits the wall for all of them . Which in a way is good , you know what to expect and usually in better light you get some more than you bargain for. In better light these would look even better as the same with my back. But i am glad to see Hassy pull this extra stop in there camera's now. This will help folks

P

park

I shot Sinar for years - (hated having to reboot software infront of clients continually) so I bought a P45+ for image quality and software. That died with as splash of sea water... point being, I'm in the market and buying, so, I've now tested the new hassie 39mp hD39II, and the older Leaf Aptus 33mp. Same sensor as the new 7 series, so I have been told.

So besides the latest Sinar I've tested them all against each other. Overall I found the Hassie very disappointing with grain. My tests didn't look as good as those found here. I was in-fact appalled / my tests were low light and with flash to fill. I shoot a hassie and like the idea of the tilt shift adapter and 28, so wanted to buy the new back from them and liked using it. However, after the tests I couldn't do it. Software and grain.

Anyway here is a website which takes the human element out of things but gives a good mathematical comparison on digi cameras. Interesting to see how ISO compares here and that the Leaf has the truest ISO capacity.

I'm going for Leaf...Only grief here is the Moire is much more prevalent than seen on the Phase backs due to large pixel size.

Anyway - have a look

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor

And if you have to shoot high ISO go 35mm these day...I've been enjoying the Canon 5dmarkII for low light work. One major criteria for medium format for me these days is the high flash sync not available on the latest Canon's. I've not tested it but I would think if you had to use 800 or 1600 - then shoot a new Canon or Nikon instead! Also more ergonomic in low light situations............as much as I hate to admit it being a medium format shooter 99% of the time for the last 17 years.

LJL

I'm sure quite a few people have already seen this review on LL, but wanted to pass it along to everyone:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/r...ain_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=205

This is the review of the P65+ with Sensor +.

Chris Lawery (Email Me)
Sales Manager
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
Not sure if it is just me or what, but the posted results are not terribly impressive. And if one goes into the discussion forum on LL, they will read a lot of the same sort of impressions....not a great showing, or results (after binning down to 15MP) that pale in comparison to almost any 16-25MP DSLR today. There is a lot of back and forth over some of this, but the general impression is that the P65+ is great for what it delivers in good light, but the Sensor+ technology is really not providing anything stellar and that would be better from a DSLR. Now, folks will argue that the point being is you only need to carry one camera/back when the light gets lower, etc. One has to ask if the Sensor+ tech, though welcomed by some, is really doing any real favors for the P65+.

I think we need some more looks at things, but the stuff MR posted is not really all that impressive. Actually, Guy's "pushed" shots with his P25+ look more acceptable than the P65+ with Sensor+ technology engaged at the higher ISO. I remain unconvinced at this point that Sensor+ is doing all that much. What do others see and think at this point?

LJ