The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Edward Burtynsky and his Flying Hasselblads

Edward Burtynsky’s Epic Landscapes - The New Yorker

^^^

That right there is a fantastic long read in the New Yorker about Burtynsky and his various projects and travels. I was truly fascinated and could not put it down. Some surprises to me were that it seems like he's given up Film. The purist in me thinks thats a bummer but I really shouldn't be shocked. His method of composing a Hasselblad H body on a drone sounds like a nightmare! But his images are sublime so it must be worth it. Those custom made drones are neat. I think I'd still go for one of the M4/3rds drones from DJI. You might not get the raw resolution SooC but it looks like he's stitching with a tele. There is a tele available for the DJI and it would make your life a lot easier in many ways. Plus I bet the dynamic range isn't so far off (CMOS vs CCD). Not that I should be talking anyone out of shooting Hasselblad, I think it's amazing!

I'd sure love to spend a few weeks living this guy's life.

Anyways hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

MomentsForZen

[Taking this thread off on a tangent, but possibly of historical interest to some ... ]

I have a soft spot for Hasselblads as aerial cameras - REAL aerial cameras. Hasselblad had an excellent reputation as the supplier of cameras for this application, and this was an important part of their business at this time (i.e., mid- to late-twentieth century).

My current employer, Geoscience Australia, made use of Hasselblad EL/M cameras for acquiring aerial photography (shot through holes in the floor of a light aircraft) over many areas of Australia from the mid- to late-twentieth century. The photographs were used as base maps for geological mapping. They also revealed many aspects of the geology that were not readily apparent from ground level.

Following is a link to a picture that I have of one of these cameras ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/momentsforzen/10216297254/

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

jerome_m

[Taking this thread off on a tangent, but possibly of historical interest to some ... ]

I have a soft spot for Hasselblads as aerial cameras - REAL aerial cameras.

It is not historical, Hasselblad still makes aerial cameras, the A series: http://www.hasselblad.com/special-applications/a5d-aerial and this is the one used on that copter I posted: http://www.hasselblad.com/special-applications/a5d-m600-bundle but most of them are used in pods on real size aircrafts. Aerial photography is a big market today.

H3dtogo

The only Hasselblad I'd put on a drone is a Lunar
As i remember myself shooting aerial photos with my 500 ELX... i had to duct tape the openings were the dark elder goes into the filmback to avoid the wind moving the film inside the cassette. LOL After a year doing that i switched to Penta 6*7 and 645 cameras :)

MomentsForZen

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to add to what I had thought was a tangent. You have both added some very interesting additional "color", truth, and knowledge to my understanding of Hasselblads and aerial photography.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)