The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is Phase One Warranty valid for used item purchase?

Often we come across Phase One used gears on Buy & Sale Forum, which are still under warranty. However, is this warranty still in effect when the transfer of ownership takes place and can new owner claim the warranty?

If so, which dealer is supposed to provide the warranty since Phase One warranties are serviced by their dealer network only?

Thanks,

Subrata

drevil

Staff member
I heard that the warranty will not be transferred for IQ3 backs, not sure about the IQ2 series.

beano_z

Speaking from personal experience:

I bought my XF + IQ3 100MP from a different continent, and when it broke down, I spoke to the local Phase One office representative. So in order to generate what they call an "RMA number" I had to go through the local dealer. Only a dealer can generate an RMA and Phase One Denmark won't open a repair case without an RMA.

So in the end, because my set was considered a parallel import and I had to pay the local dealer a handling charge of around US$ 750,- which included shipping and import / export handling, which in the end I thought was reasonable since I didn't have to go through all the trouble myself.

As for the actual repair, that part was considered under warranty, so they didn't charge me anything for the parts nor the labor, no questions asked. I didn't have to present an invoice or any proof of purchase for that matter, I guess they can track all information based on the serial number.

The only downside with warranty is that, even though it says so in the manual, a temporary loaner camera will only be provided at the local dealer's discretion, so there's no guarantee that during the time your camera is gone, you'll have a replacement form Phase One. I can only say, lucky I'm not a professional who's earning a living with photography, otherwise I would have been severely f**ked up...:cussing:

Pemihan

I have bought several Phase One backs used which were still under warranty and have had no problems getting repairs or calibrations done as warranty repairs.

Paul2660

In the past with IQ1 and IQ2 backs remaining value add warranty on base warranty did transfer if the back was sold. You still needed a dealer to be the interface to P1.

Not sure if P1 stopped the policy of transfer allowance of remaining warranty with the IQ3. Personally I would be surprised if they did.

Paul Caldwell

Speaking from personal experience:

I bought my XF + IQ3 100MP from a different continent, and when it broke down, I spoke to the local Phase One office representative. So in order to generate what they call an "RMA number" I had to go through the local dealer. Only a dealer can generate an RMA and Phase One Denmark won't open a repair case without an RMA.

So in the end, because my set was considered a parallel import and I had to pay the local dealer a handling charge of around US$ 750,- which included shipping and import / export handling, which in the end I thought was reasonable since I didn't have to go through all the trouble myself.

As for the actual repair, that part was considered under warranty, so they didn't charge me anything for the parts nor the labor, no questions asked. I didn't have to present an invoice or any proof of purchase for that matter, I guess they can track all information based on the serial number.

The only downside with warranty is that, even though it says so in the manual, a temporary loaner camera will only be provided at the local dealer's discretion, so there's no guarantee that during the time your camera is gone, you'll have a replacement form Phase One. I can only say, lucky I'm not a professional who's earning a living with photography, otherwise I would have been severely f**ked up...:cussing:
Did you contact the dealer that you originally purchased the system from? It seems like you were fine with the situation, but if it's under warranty, it should have all been covered, even the shipping/export costs. It's a worldwide warranty, it's not your fault they are located in Denmark. And you should get a loaner as well. If phase gives you a warranty with a loaner, they should give you a loaner, period. It doesn't sound like you absolutely needed one though. I'm guessing if you did, they would have found a way to accommodate. I have gotten one on my repairs and not had to pay for any shipping costs, although I could just walk into my dealer. I know the older ones were to the system and transferred, if they have changed that with the newer backs, that would be quite disappointing if that's the case.