The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Telephoto options ~300mm

jng

I'm actually in the hunt for a 250 SA myself but finding one hasn't been so easy. I purchased one recently but returned it due to a (probable) decentering problem that caused one side of the image to go soft. However where the lens was sharp, it was razor sharp and there was literally no chromatic aberration or fringing that I could detect using a 60 Mp back. If the focal length suits you this is certainly worth considering. I'm still looking...

John

I've been wondering about the Actus. I suppose my biggest issue with that is the mental block of using the STC for 6 years now and loving every minute of it. It just fits what I need so darn well, except for this long lens stumbling block.

Actually, Andre has apparently been lurking in the shadows and emailed me with an interesting option: The HB Zeiss 250 superachromat, which weighs in at 1010 gms. I would also need the Alpa / HB adapter and, since I already carry 34mm adapter, an additional 11mm adapter. If I wanted to crop that image once in a while to zoom in it wouldn't be the worst thing. :cool:

Probably also some way to stabilize the whole thing, but I would put all the 45mm of adapters behind the STC anyway. Yeah Victor I agree with you; I did some tests a few months ago with my sk 150 and the IQ3 100 before the whole ES firmware upgrade. I had to be very careful in how I used the release cord. The slightest tug ruined the image.

So if anyone has a Zeiss 250 SA sitting around bored in a closet somewhere, let me know!
:watch:

Dave

stngoldberg

I realize that you are using an Alpa; but FYI, I bought a 300mm fujinon f8 lens from a fellow on this site a few years ago with a Arca Swiss mount and rear extension.
It also came with a focus card developed by Arca Swiss.
Very sharp lens.
I am hoping you can benefit from this information
Stanley

stephengilbert

"So if anyone has a Zeiss 250 SA sitting around bored in a closet somewhere, let me know!"

There's a few on eBay, but it's eBay.

dchew

LOL. Yeah I saw some of those. If I go this route I'll have to get the adapters first; I have no way to test the lens without them.

Dave

beano_z

Looks like most options have been discussed here but there's only one thing I would like to add.

Having gone through the same struggle with the SA 350 (in my case mounted on the XF), I've swapped my SA 350 for the SA 250. The SA 350, although build and image quality is second to none, is too cumbersome to manoeuvre outside of the house, its weight and length really prevents it from being able to be packed properly into any camera bag I have.

For me I think it was just overkill to carry around so much weight just to be able to have the option to shoot at 350mm once in a while.

The SA 250 on the other hand, is just a bit larger than an "average" Hasselblad lens and not much heavier (I think it is even lighter than my FE 50/2.8). Considering the relative small difference in FoV between the 350 and 250, I've made the switch since last week, but I haven't really shot anything meaningful with it yet.

Anyway, just posting in the hope to put things in perspective, or at least, try the 250 before you decide on the 350.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I realize that you are using an Alpa; but FYI, I bought a 300mm fujinon f8 lens from a fellow on this site a few years ago with a Arca Swiss mount and rear extension.
It also came with a focus card developed by Arca Swiss.
Very sharp lens.
I am hoping you can benefit from this information
Stanley
How was it for CA etc? Acutance good enough for a high resolution back? I've been considering this lens and also a replacement Fujinon 240/9 A as they're both relatively small and light. My 240 was outstanding on 4x5 and the scumbags that stole my Alpa and Actus & A7rII (vs Actus DB & IQ150 which they missed) got away that lens.

stngoldberg

How was it for CA etc? Acutance good enough for a high resolution back? I've been considering this lens and also a replacement Fujinon 240/9 A as they're both relatively small and light. My 240 was outstanding on 4x5 and the scumbags that stole my Alpa and Actus & A7rII (vs Actus DB & IQ150 which they missed) got away that lens.
Graham,
I have used this lens when employing tilt on images that improved with narrow FOV and reasonable DOF. The acutance was fully acceptable with my 50 megapixel CCD Hasselblad back as was the CA, but I haven't yet has the opportunity to use it with my P1 100 megapixel back. I don't have the lens with me in Florida at the moment, so I can't respond with an image at this moment. I will send you some images in May with my Phase back.
Stanley

Jamgolf

I think Binbin has a very valid point regarding size/weight/transportation with respect to 250SA vs 350SA. So that is a matter of personal choice based on usage frequency etc. on how important it is to carry a large lens.

A few thoughts based on my prior personal experience with 250SA (with Pentax 645D)... since there is no tripod collar on the 250SA vibrations in windy conditions were a problem for me. It was probably exacerbated by Pentax 645D's mirror slap (even though I always used a remote shutter release and also the mirror up). I recall after one particular trip I was horrified by the results I saw in Capture One. I thought there was something wrong with the lens. Almost all images were all a blurry mush. Luckily there was a set that I had shot at 1/1000 second with sun on my back. Those images were glorious. So my conclusion with 250SA + Pentax 645D was never to shoot at shutter speeds slower than 1/500th and shoot 1/1000th if possible.

Now based on my recent experience with the 350SA I have to say that I have shot at much much much slower shutter speeds and the results are crisp. I think three factors contribute to that (i) IQ3's electronic shutter (ii) 350SA very well positioned tripod collar that balances it at it's center of gravity (iii) 350SA's heft. I think factor (i) probably is 80% of the equation, factor (ii) probably 15% and factor (iii) probably 5%.

vjbelle

Now based on my recent experience with the 350SA I have to say that I have shot at much much much slower shutter speeds and the results are crisp. I think three factors contribute to that (i) IQ3's electronic shutter (ii) 350SA very well positioned tripod collar that balances it at it's center of gravity (iii) 350SA's heft. I think factor (i) probably is 80% of the equation, factor (ii) probably 15% and factor (iii) probably 5%.
I actually think that (i) is 99% of the equation..... but I'm sure I don't have to convince you.:D The ES is a godsend for me....

Victor

Jamgolf

I actually think that (i) is 99% of the equation..... but I'm sure I don't have to convince you.:D The ES is a godsend for me....

Victor
No convincing necessary Victor :)
Other than the live-view, electronic shutter is the single most useful feature that I think the IQ3100 backs have to offer and the best part is that it was not even there when I purchased the back.
It is like an unexpected bonus or unexpected tax refund or a divine gift :)

algrove

I've been wondering about the Actus. I suppose my biggest issue with that is the mental block of using the STC for 6 years now and loving every minute of it. It just fits what I need so darn well, except for this long lens stumbling block.

Actually, Andre has apparently been lurking in the shadows and emailed me with an interesting option: The HB Zeiss 250 superachromat, which weighs in at 1010 gms. I would also need the Alpa / HB adapter and, since I already carry 34mm adapter, an additional 11mm adapter. If I wanted to crop that image once in a while to zoom in it wouldn't be the worst thing. :cool:

Probably also some way to stabilize the whole thing, but I would put all the 45mm of adapters behind the STC anyway. Yeah Victor I agree with you; I did some tests a few months ago with my sk 150 and the IQ3 100 before the whole ES firmware upgrade. I had to be very careful in how I used the release cord. The slightest tug ruined the image.

So if anyone has a Zeiss 250 SA sitting around bored in a closet somewhere, let me know!
:watch:

Dave
I will $100 more than Dave for this lens.

jng

I can attest that the 250 SA is superb @ 100 Mp when I tried it on the XF/IQ3 100.

35840014700_82991c2e2e_k.jpg

I've since returned the Cambo-V adapter. My latest strategy is to use the 250 SA on the X1D - initial testing suggests that this is a great combination that also gives a bit more reach. I use a long lens rail from RRS to minimize any vibrations. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Happy holidays to all!

John

P.S. The Superachromat falls under the category of you'll need to pry it from my cold, dead hands. Dave Chew: I'll be keeping an eye on you on our next shoot together! :p

dchew

I just watched “The Hateful Eight” the other day.

John, you up for a winter Shoot in Wyoming? Just don’t be drinking any coffee I make.

Dave

algrove

Anyone tried the Mamiya adapter available for Alpa? Mamiya MF APO 200 and APO 300 lenses might work. Not of the IQ though.

drunkenspyder

I have also used the 250 Superachromat on my XF and Trichro, using the P1 Hasselblad adapter. I have the chrome rim C version of the lens, and it is quite nice. Very easy to travel with, and while its build is superb, and its optics are very impressive for a near-50-year-old design, I don't think it's quite in the same league as my current Rodies and P1 Schneiders. But, that is as it should be, no? FWIW, I just posted a shot taken with the SA over in the "Fun w/ MF Images" thread.

The Superachromats are readily available on ebay.

Last edited:

jng

I have also used the 250 Superachromat on my XF and Trichro, using the P1 Hasselblad adapter. I have the chrome rim C version of the lens, and it is quite nice. Very easy to travel with, and while its build is superb, and its optics are very impressive for a near-50-year-old design, I don't think it's quite in the same league as my current Rodies and P1 Schneiders. But, that is as it should be, no? FWIW, I just posted a shot taken with the SA over in the "Fun w/ MF Images" thread.

The Superachromats are readily available on ebay.
That's a beautiful image you posted!

Yes the SA's can be found on eBay but both the quality and prices can vary substantially. I went through 3 bad copies before finding a keeper, again not too surprising given the age and unknown history of these old lenses. And what a keeper it is. On a shoot last year, I compared it back-to-back with the SK240 on an XF/IQ3100 (live view focus, seismo delay, electronic shutter for both), and the SA more than held its own. All great fun.

John

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

That's a beautiful image you posted!

Yes the SA's can be found on eBay but both the quality and prices can vary substantially. I went through 3 bad copies before finding a keeper, again not too surprising given the age and unknown history of these old lenses. And what a keeper it is. On a shoot last year, I compared it back-to-back with the SK240 on an XF/IQ3100 (live view focus, seismo delay, electronic shutter for both), and the SA more than held its own. All great fun.

John
Thanks for the kind words John. Yes, you are absolutely right about the potential for inconsistent quality out there, and as you note, that really shouldn't surprise anyone. When I started my search, I looked for possible single owner copies [estate sales are potential candidates], and copies being sold by dealers with either decent reputations or with whom I had experience, and who offered a fair return policy. Almost by definition, that meant paying in the middle to higher end of the range. I am happy I did. And I am still buying the P1 240 and TC.