The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Telephoto options ~300mm

Jamgolf

Over the past year or so, I've used the 350 superachromat and have been quite pleased.
I have shot at very slow shutter speeds and IQ3-100's electronic shutter makes it a non-issue even in some less favorable and windy conditions.
As far as image quality is concerned I think 350SA is quite good. It does not surpass modern lenses such as 150/2.8BR or 90HRSW but until a modern 350-400mm Rodenstock or Schneider lens becomes available (quite unlikely I think), 350 superachromat is a great option and I am very glad I took this path.

Superachromats were certainly ahead of their times, back in the day. They hold up to state of the art sensors today. And that is a testiment to their exceptional designs and manufacturing quality.
Focusing ring on 350SA is the smoothest thing I have ever experienced.

drunkenspyder

Over the past year or so, I've used the 350 superachromat and have been quite pleased.
I have shot at very slow shutter speeds and IQ3-100's electronic shutter makes it a non-issue even in some less favorable and windy conditions.
As far as image quality is concerned I think 350SA is quite good. It does not surpass modern lenses such as 150/2.8BR or 90HRSW but until a modern 350-400mm Rodenstock or Schneider lens becomes available (quite unlikely I think), 350 superachromat is a great option and I am very glad I took this path.

Superachromats were certainly ahead of their times, back in the day. They hold up to state of the art sensors today. And that is a testiment to their exceptional designs and manufacturing quality.
Focusing ring on 350SA is the smoothest thing I have ever experienced.
Am thinking about acquiring a 350, but I want to spend some time with the P1 240 and TC first before plunking down that much $. As I have played with the images I recently shot with the 250, I have been pleased. But from a size and weight perspective, the 350 is a different investment altogether.

algrove

Am thinking about acquiring a 350, but I want to spend some time with the P1 240 and TC first before plunking down that much $. As I have played with the images I recently shot with the 250, I have been pleased. But from a size and weight perspective, the 350 is a different investment altogether.
Are you using the 240+TC on an Alpa?

algrove

For now, XF [which I realize is slightly off topic, but for me, relates to my use case and how I spend the money, since I also have an Alpa STC, and any dual use could be helpful].
The Mamiya APO 300 comes in 2 models AF and MF. I have the AF model which is a pretty good lens for AF on the XF. Alpa also makes adapters for Mamiya MF lenses which also requires an 11mm adapter. The Mamiya MF lenses could have dual use.

drunkenspyder

The Mamiya APO 300 comes in 2 models AF and MF. I have the AF model which is a pretty good lens for AF on the XF. Alpa also makes adapters for Mamiya MF lenses which also requires an 11mm adapter. The Mamiya MF lenses could have dual use.
Thanks. Much appreciated. After doing a quick look, any comparisons between the f/2.8 and the f/4.5?

Update: As they say, “search” is my friend. Located this and related reviews at Brian Hirschfeld’s site.

Last edited:

algrove

Thanks. Much appreciated. After doing a quick look, any comparisons between the f/2.8 and the f/4.5?

Update: As they say, “search” is my friend. Located this and related reviews at Brian Hirschfeld’s site.
I read that article some time ago. I only acquired the APO 300/4.5 due to its AF capabilities on the XF. Superb copy I have. Also got the 105-210 AF which is OK at f11 range and at lower zoom levels, but not nearly as good as my 300/4.5. Then decided to get the 210/4.0 fixed and the 210 AF neither of which I have tested yet. I had the idea of using the Mamiya adapter on my Alpa STC, but have not decided on that as yet. This came up since Alpa told me they will no longer convert longer S-K lenses like the 210 or 250 which now requires sending them to a German company thus creating secondary problems.

Also purchased the MF 500/5.6 C lens on a lark and found it is very good at f11 on my XF. It has a 105 filter thread like the BR 35 S-K. Slide out hood helps and I used the RRS rail for it of course.

algrove

OK, so where did that one come from? Looks in nice shape. Heard you tried it on what the XF or on a Hassy? Which ever one they had the adpater for. So are you keeping it or am I in for some expenditure?

dchew

Well it came from Japan. It is in nice shape. No box or docs but I don’t care about that stuff. I had to figure out how to test it. Ended up sourcing an HB/XF adapter from CI, then Denny let me borrow a DF+. Not enough time to get the Alpa-HB adapter. So after fumbling around with the DF+, I figured out if I remove the back the shutter flips open. Then I pull the batteries out of the DF, remount the back and voila: I now have electronic shutter with the DF!

That’s how I tested it over the last few days. Add to that lots of gracious help from John Ngai. Thanks John!

Oh, no your hunt is still on; I am keeping it. It is quite nice!

The Hassy in the background is an old 500C with a very nice P30+. But I don’t think I’m ready for that yet so back to Dodd it goes. We’ll see how badly Denny wants to clean up his inventory. :toocool:

Dave

jng

Dave,

I know you will enjoy using the Superachromat. But PLEASE don't get any ideas about taking it apart to look for ways to shave off weight! :p

John