The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about Newly Announced Cambo WRS Canon Mount

CAMBOUSA

Great to have someone from Cambo on this forum. I really appreciate the innovative spirit of Cambo and their fast reaction to new products from other companies.
Thanks for the kind words and support. It certainly is appreciated! The team over at Cambo in The Netherlands, and myself here at Cambo USA partner with each other to help support Cambo users and fans all across the United States.

So a configuration of the Cambo Actus for the GFX would be great.
I'll keep everyone in the loop. Lets just say "Soon". The design and prototypes have been made, it's now a matter of making sure its perfect.

But the Canon TS-Es would only cover the very wide angles. So for other focal lengths I would need different lenses with large image circles. Like Alan I would love a Contax 645 mount. The lenses are great and not expensive. They offer a lot of movements on the 44x33mm-sensor.
As I mentioned, I'm not the only person who reads things here at GetDPI. I'm certain that if its possible, someone is looking into it.

Jamgolf

Can it be purchased like this without aperture control?

wre-ca.jpg

Or must it be purchased as this i.e. with the aperture control?

WRE-CA-front_DB.jpg

If so, what are the part numbers?

kdphotography

Cambo WRE-CA

:thumbup:

I just caught that the adapter uses a rechargeable battery source... I'm looking forward to trying this with the Canon 17mm TSE

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have it's brother the ACB-CA for the Actus DB arriving on Friday. Hopefully I'll have a chance to test it out and provide feedback at the weekend with the 17/24 TSE lenses.

I used to use the Alpa FPS with these lenses and certainly with the 44x33mm sensor there was plenty of movement available. We'll see how the IQ3100 holds up with them.

kdphotography

Heading off to Hawaii with my new Cambo WRS 1600 and just got my hands on the new Cambo WRE-CA with a Canon 17mm TSE. My vacation hasn't even started and I'm smiling....

2017-02-16 15.49.35.jpg2017-02-16 15.48.59.jpg2017-02-16 15.45.46.jpg

More to follow....:D

ken

dchew

I am not following this thread. I am not following this thread. I am not fol...

Dave

Jamgolf

I am not following this thread. I am not following this thread. I am not fol...

Dave
Resistance if futile Dave :)
Lets send a bunch of Canon lenses to Ken and Graham.
I wish for enough lens tests, so there is a data set of various lenses i.e. which ones cover the 54x40 or 44x33 image circle and how well.

kdphotography

I'm really only interested in the Canon 17mm TSE---though I do have a 300mm f/2.8 IS Great White. But for the electronic shutter limitation, it would be awesome to show up with the Cambo to shoot some sports....:ROTFL:

But I just may have to try a couple of my other Canon lenses just for fun...

ken

CAMBOUSA

Resistance if futile Dave :)
I wish for enough lens tests, so there is a data set of various lenses i.e. which ones cover the 54x40 or 44x33 image circle and how well.
Coming soon. I'll keep everyone updated.

Preliminary long story short, right now there aren't many lenses outside of the TS E options that allow for full coverage and the ability to focus. If you are ok with a center crop of the sensor, then the door opens a little wider for more options.

marc aurel

@CAMBOUSA:
May I ask something about the design of the Actus for GFX?

1. As far as I can see - the Canon lens board with aperture control will not fit the GFX in the current design for the Actus. At least not in portrait orientation where it would collide with the grip (the Canon TS-Es are one of the main reasons I would consider an Actus GFX). Are you going to adapt the design of the Canon lens board for the Wide RS? With its tilted top part it seems to leave enough space for the camera grip. And it allows you to see aperture values from the right side. With the original one you have to walk around the camera to see it (not ideal).

2. At Photokina I visited your booth and saw that the Actus DB2 has geared horizontal shift. Great. Could not even find that info on Cambos website. I would love to have that in the GFX version too, at least as an option. That is a luxury I would not want to miss when I put a 7000€ camera on it.

I would appreciate your opinion.
Best regards - Marc

CAMBOUSA

@CAMBOUSA:
May I ask something about the design of the Actus for GFX?

1. As far as I can see - the Canon lens board with aperture control will not fit the GFX in the current design for the Actus. At least not in portrait orientation where it would collide with the grip (the Canon TS-Es are one of the main reasons I would consider an Actus GFX). Are you going to adapt the design of the Canon lens board for the Wide RS? With its tilted top part it seems to leave enough space for the camera grip. And it allows you to see aperture values from the right side. With the original one you have to walk around the camera to see it (not ideal).

2. At Photokina I visited your booth and saw that the Actus DB2 has geared horizontal shift. Great. Could not even find that info on Cambos website. I would love to have that in the GFX version too, at least as an option. That is a luxury I would not want to miss when I put a 7000€ camera on it.

I would appreciate your opinion.
Best regards - Marc
Both are great questions. In about 12 hours I'll be on my way to The Netherlands for a week of meetings. I'll be sure to ask and see what information I can get from the team in charge of this project.

CAMBOUSA

I'm back stateside and VERY jet-lagged. But I was able to get some new information on a few things.

**Edit** Since the Cambo Facebook page has officially made the announcement about the Actus GFX I guess I can lift my veil of secrecy!
(I tried multiple ways to embed the Facebook post, but my foggy brain has failed me)

1. As far as I can see - the Canon lens board with aperture control will not fit the GFX in the current design for the Actus.
From what I was told, it does not appear that the GFX would be compatible with the Canon electronic adaptor because of the larger flange distance of the GFX compared to some of the other mirrorless systems. I'll update 100% once I get one in my hands.

And it allows you to see aperture values from the right side. With the original one you have to walk around the camera to see it (not ideal).
While not 100% ideal for every situation, it actually was designed this way. I asked specifically if a revision was going to be created with the LCD on the photographer side. The LCD was placed in the front because the bellows tended to get in the way, and it was hard to adjust the aperture if you couldn't see the controller.

As you should be able to see by the Facebook post, I am happy to announce that yes the Actus GFX does have the geared horizontal shift. That confirmation was made to me on my last day in Kampen. I must say as well, the swappable bayonet solution is so smooth to change back and forth. I was afraid it would be hard to change, but it's designed very well!

I'm going to be placing the official photos as well as some photos I was able to take during my visit in a blog post going live very soon.

Also in order not to de-rail this conversation please feel free to ask any new Actus-GFX questions in the newly created Actus-GFX thread.

Last edited:

Jamgolf

I recently got the WRE-CA and tried it with Leica APO-Elamarit-R 180/2.8 which has enough of an image circle to cover IQ3100's 54x40 sensor.
I think I can get may be 3-4mm of rise/fall out of it too but almost no left/right shift.

Based on preliminary testing image quality and resolving power seem excellent.
Here is a 100% section from far left side of the frame (almost no post processing)
Even the fine print is clearly readable...

cropped from this full frame

The lens is not too big. At wide open (f2.8) it is super sharp, but there is considerable vignetting, which is gone by f8.
This thing would be freaking awesome on a 44x33 sensor. I think Fuji GFX already has some Leica R to GFX adaperts available now.

I have been a big fan of Leica R lenses and this 180/2.8 validates that.
Thanks Cambo for making this adapter for WRS :thumbs:

Jamgolf

I do not own the lens but I got a chance to test Leica R 280/4 with IQ3-100 via WRE-CA:

Image quality is fantastic but sadly the image circle is not large enough to cover 54x40 sensor.
It would easily cover 44x33 and would be an incredible match for Fuji GFX or any other 44x33 sensor.

Full frame, zero post processing, @ f11:

100% crop:

Its amazing how these Leica R lenses, originally designed for 36x24 cover 44x33 (some even cover 54x40) and hold their superb image quality into the corners. Plus they are sharp wide open and have the most beautiful bokeh. I am a fan.