The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

60XL or 50HR on IQ3-100

Jamgolf

I wanted to ask for opinions regarding the performance of 60XL and 50HR with IQ3-100.

I've seen the techcam tests done by CI and DT and would like to get some first hand feedback i.e. what owners think of the image quality and ability to shift based on their own usage. If someone currently has both lenses or has had an opportunity to use both and can offer a comparison, that would be great as well.

The SK60 has a larger 120mm image circle compared to 50HR's 90mm but SK60, based on some user opinions also requires a CF whereas 50HR does not.
Its just difficult to find a lot of info about these two lenses.

Thank in advance!

I have not used the 50HR so I'm not in a position to comment. I would probably prefer the Schneider because it seems to be lighter (yeah I'm lazy), but since you already own three Rodenstock lenses, why not just add a fourth for a "set bonus effect"? :grin:

From what I understand, it looks like Alpa is phasing out the Schneider lenses. Every so often I check their website, some Schneider products are moved to the "discontinued" section. I am even unable to buy new center filters for the 35XL, 43XL etc. I bet the similar might be happening for Cambo and Arca as well - Schneider might just want to gradually pull themselves out of the game. Thus in the long run the Rodenstock option might be more future-proof?

Jamgolf

I have not used the 50HR so I'm not in a position to comment. I would probably prefer the Schneider because it seems to be lighter (yeah I'm lazy), but since you already own three Rodenstock lenses, why not just add a fourth for a "set bonus effect"? :grin:

From what I understand, it looks like Alpa is phasing out the Schneider lenses. Every so often I check their website, some Schneider products are moved to the "discontinued" section. I am even unable to buy new center filters for the 35XL, 43XL etc. I bet the similar might be happening for Cambo and Arca as well - Schneider might just want to gradually pull themselves out of the game. Thus in the long run the Rodenstock option might be more future-proof?
I am leaning toward 50HR to keep the kit consistent but 60XL has a much better image circle and has always had rave reviews, so thats an option as well. 60XL would have to be a pre-owned one because they are no longer available in dealer stock. Not being able to buy center filters can be a concern, in case a replacement is needed at some point.

50HR is certainly more future proof, as you said.

dchew

I have the 60xl and am one of those who sing its praises. It is my default lens. Never shot the 50 but did have the 70hr for a while. In my opinion, the 60xl is noticeably better off-center, and the 70hr ever so slightly better on center (although you would need a direct screen comparison to come close to notice the on-center difference).

Yes I use the CF on the 60xl so that is a disadvantage. I'm brand agnostic since I have two Rodi's (40/90) and two Schneiders (60/150). I don't think you could go wrong with either; perhaps it depends on how often you will shift/stitch.

Dave

Jamgolf

I have the 60xl and am one of those who sing its praises. It is my default lens. Never shot the 50 but did have the 70hr for a while. In my opinion, the 60xl is noticeably better off-center, and the 70hr ever so slightly better on center (although you would need a direct screen comparison to come close to notice the on-center difference).

Yes I use the CF on the 60xl so that is a disadvantage. I'm brand agnostic since I have two Rodi's (40/90) and two Schneiders (60/150). I don't think you could go wrong with either; perhaps it depends on how often you will shift/stitch.

Dave
Thanks Dave. How much are you able to shift on the IQ3100?
Its image circle is quite large, just wondering how much of it is usable.

dchew

With the STC I'm not much of a challenge because it is limited to 18mm. But no issues shifting 18mm either horizontal or vertical shift. After LCC I see no indications. Let me know if you want a few raws.

Dave

stngoldberg

Rod klukus the US representative from Arca told me the Schneider 60XL is one of the very best technical camera lenses.
I shot it without a CF for a while, but eventually bought one that became available.
The lens has performed well for me....love to stitch with it
Stanley

tjv

The 60XL must surely be one of the best technical lenses ever made for digital. I used it for a while on 6x7cm film and it was stunning and certainly a touch better (keep in mind film isn't as critical or prone to showing up faults,) than the 55mm Rodenstock APO-SD I currently own.

You will know all this already, but for me it'd be more of a question of how you want to use the lens. Is it for single shot, or do you want to do some big stitches? If the former, then I'd got the 50HR as it's more sympathetic with the newer CMOS sensors. The 60XL, especially because it benifits from a CF (as does my RS 55mm,) is a bit of a pain if you want to do big movements, plus increases the chances of crosstalk, etc.

My perfect full frame 645 MF setup (I use a Credo 60) would be RS 40mm HR-W, SK 60XL, and 70 HR-W.

I better start saving, and get in quick before SK stock run out as they ain't making any more lenses. Bummer...

Jamgolf

I better start saving, and get in quick before SK stock run out as they ain't making any more lenses. Bummer...
Seems the stock has already run out, unfortunately.
The ability to find a center filter may also be a concern now.

vjbelle

As you know I also shoot with the 60XL and love the lens. I have never seen the need for the CF but you will find that LCC's will be needed when shifting 10mm or beyond. I limit myself to 10mm but this lens can easily shift to 15mm..... however f11 is mandatory. It is very, very sharp at that aperture. You should be able to find one in Copal 0 which can always be mounted by Cambo. I would, though, consider an Actus at that point and compare pricing between Copal 0/Actus and Cambo/60XL. It is fairly light but does come in as my heaviest Schneider.

Victor

Jamgolf

As you know I also shoot with the 60XL and love the lens. I have never seen the need for the CF but you will find that LCC's will be needed when shifting 10mm or beyond. I limit myself to 10mm but this lens can easily shift to 15mm..... however f11 is mandatory. It is very, very sharp at that aperture. You should be able to find one in Copal 0 which can always be mounted by Cambo. I would, though, consider an Actus at that point and compare pricing between Copal 0/Actus and Cambo/60XL. It is fairly light but does come in as my heaviest Schneider.

Victor
Thanks Victor. I had a chance to pick one up a few weeks ago but I missed that opportunity. New stock is no longer available and used ones are hard to come by.

tjv

Even at Linhof and Studio? Are they even out of bare lenses in copal mount, or just Alpa mounted lenses? If only the latter, could one just buy the lens and send it to Alpa to mount?

Jamgolf

Even at Linhof and Studio? Are they even out of bare lenses in copal mount, or just Alpa mounted lenses? If only the latter, could one just buy the lens and send it to Alpa to mount?
Right. There is no new stock anywhere.
There is one used unit on eBay, but its too high of a price with the added cost of getting it mounted to a Cambo T/S panel.

Last edited:

Jamgolf

Many thanks to both CI & DT for conducting technical camera tests with the IQ3100 and making the results freely available.
I downloaded the 60XL and 50HR files and processed in C1, I think I am partial to 50HR.
It also fits more naturally/evenly between my 32 and 90 in terms of field of view.

Plus the unavailability of the 60XL makes it an easy "decision".

Last edited:
M

mjr

I had the Cambo with the 32, 50 and 90 but on an IQ260 not the 100, the 50 is extraordinarily sharp, if the results are as good on the 100 as the 60 then you won't be disappointed. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Mat

Jamgolf

I had the Cambo with the 32, 50 and 90 but on an IQ260 not the 100, the 50 is extraordinarily sharp, if the results are as good on the 100 as the 60 then you won't be disappointed. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.
Mat
Mat, actually while browsing the "Fun with..." MF & Techcam images threads recently, I've enjoyed some of your 50HR images, as well as Raymond Chack's images shot with this lens. The images are beautiful and looks like you put it to some excellent usage and helped convince me of this choice. CI & DT tests also confirm that it will perform well on IQ3-100.

pinktank

Hello All,
Is there any chance that someone could provide me with a raw of an extreme shift with the 60XL and the iq3 100? I'm trying to see if I can do a 4 shot stitch with a touch of rise. That would be something like 26mm shift and 25mm rise on the extreme side, preferably at f13 or so (I know, out of the image circle technically, I just need to know how much corner loss there is)

With center filter probably at that sort of shift but anyhow I'd appreciate anything at this point (have to decide on a purchase depending)

Will donate a few to a non-profit if one does :)

dchew

Hello All,
Is there any chance that someone could provide me with a raw of an extreme shift with the 60XL and the iq3 100? I'm trying to see if I can do a 4 shot stitch with a touch of rise. That would be something like 26mm shift and 25mm rise on the extreme side, preferably at f13 or so (I know, out of the image circle technically, I just need to know how much corner loss there is)

With center filter probably at that sort of shift but anyhow I'd appreciate anything at this point (have to decide on a purchase depending)

Will donate a few to a non-profit if one does :)
All I have is an STC so I can't shift that far. But it occurred to me that my business never makes a profit, so if you want you could buy me a MAX, then I could do this for you! :ROTFL:

Seriously, I can check with my dealer to see if he has a MAX I could use for a test. But it can only go 25 and 18mm. Would that be enough?

Dave

pinktank

All I have is an STC so I can't shift that far. But it occurred to me that my business never makes a profit, so if you want you could buy me a MAX, then I could do this for you! :ROTFL:

Seriously, I can check with my dealer to see if he has a MAX I could use for a test. But it can only go 25 and 18mm. Would that be enough?

Dave
Sure, I'll steal the one from the artist I'm helping and send it your way, that way they have to buy an XY :D
On a more serious note, I suggest checking with Greiner in germany about used units or with Alpa about refurbished, they are often 40-45% off.

Let me crunch some numbers about whether that shift would cut it and get back to you. Cheers!