The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 delayed and possible price?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Don't recall ever seeing that sort of thing with any of my M8 stuff but then I don't have that lens. Mostly use a 24 or 28. Have you had this with other lenses as well?
You see this with all M lenses, it is not specific to a single lens!

Unfortunately!

And I can say as I have all (most) of them. No single exception. Of course it is more likely with Wides!

fotografz

Don't recall ever seeing that sort of thing with any of my M8 stuff but then I don't have that lens. Mostly use a 24 or 28. Have you had this with other lenses as well?
Yes.

And, on all three M8s I've used ... including my short stint with an 8.2.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
You see this with all M lenses, it is not specific to a single lens!

Unfortunately!

And I can say as I have all (most) of them. No single exception. Of course it is more likely with Wides!
I see it happen with my 35 f/2 ASPH the most, but don't ever recall this happening with my 50 or 90 lenses. When I tested out the 24 f/1.4 and 18 f/3.8 in Las Vegas at night on the Strip (both with IR filters in place), I didn't get a single IR reflection. Maybe I'm just lucky.

David

Paratom

MMhh, I have to admit that I havent noticed such problem but then again I think I dont have the light source directly in my image often.
Looks ugly though.

carstenw

Well, the S2 won't have IR filters on the lenses, so I bet even Marc and Peter would buy one, as long as it proves itself first! There is no going on reputation with those guys :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
To buy an S2 it has to prove its functionality, IQ, service support etc. over a period of some years. Then maybe trust will come back.

The scary thing is, that I will have invested by then already in another digital MF system, thus it will be very unlikely that I am going to switch again.

But never say never again :cool:

Paratom

I dont know if I am the only one but one major advantage of the S2 I would see in the size and that it might be less obstrusive than other MF gear?

I admit that I sometimes do not privatly bring my MF-gear because of the Ahhs and Uhhhs, and questions when people see MF-cameras.

Since the S2 looks much mor DSLR-like I would guess that this would be different and less obstrusive.

The other thing is that to me it seems the only system which will really offer a good selection of both, leaf-shutter lenses and a shutter in the camera. (However I have to say that I dont miss a shutter in my Hy6 at all).

I dont see it as negative as some people here do. I would not be in a hurry to buy the first available S2 - but I am very interested to see how it will perform and to test run one once the camera and at least 2-3 lenses are available.
I dont mind if this will be in 3 months or in 12 months.
If it proves to be reliable and to be as good as I hope it could be interesting.
Maybe it could replace a DSLR and a MF-camera for some people and in this case it could be still be "affordable" even though one has to buy all new (and probably expensive) lenses.

carstenw

If the S2 really does prove itself, then I think there are a number of advantages, not just size and DSLR-likeness. As you mention, leaf and focal plane shutters is a big advantage for people who use flash and also shoot without, outside.

For me, personally, the big attraction is the glass and the (presumed) lack of hassle with the kinds of tolerance problems Joseph Holmes writes about. Take it out of the box, mount a lens, and shoot. Shims, spacers, lens adjustments, focusing screen adjustments, hunting for good copies of various lenses, especially the wides, missing T/S lenses, and all that stuff just doesn't really appeal to me at all, and although one might not have any problems, like Jack, one might, like Tim. There is just no telling in advance.

I also really like the simplistic interface on this camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The principles of the S2 are pretty ok and attractive to me as weöö!

It is the execution by Leica I have huge doubts in - unfortunately they managed to build up this negative experience over the past years.

TimWright

Doubt that i would be able to afford it but I would not hesitate in buying one. I have only had the one incident with my M8 which might have been partially my fault (repaired in 4 days no charge) and the quality of the images are excellent. The big question to me will be the price.

robmac

Well put. From a tech and assumed IQ perspective, the S2 looks stellar. It's the 1001 OTHER things Leica needs to do/prove/price that are crucial to the product (and company's) success that are the issue.

Their intended market has also gone from staid and stable to one of a maelstrom of massive price cuts, mergers, partnerships and (in-progress) failures over the last 12 mos; and Leica has not exactly establish a rep as a firm with the ability/will to move and adapt quickly.

The principles of the S2 are pretty ok and attractive to me as weöö!

It is the execution by Leica I have huge doubts in - unfortunately they managed to build up this negative experience over the past years.