The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

jerome_m

At the price point that the Sony/Zeiss lenses were marketed their QC vs. decent competition was outside the window.
Possibly for E-mount lenses. I only have experience with the Sony/Zeiss lenses for the A-mount and their quality control was similar to their competitors.

You would also, maybe, be surprised at the QC variations that I have experienced with lenses costing up to 7 times the $1000.00 retail of Sony/Zeiss.
That is also possible, sloppy manufacturing happens.

All I can say is that I used Hasselblad HC lenses and the ones I have are extremely well within specs.

That being said, I think that lens manufacturing is a very difficult process with extremely difficult repeat-ability.
I would not say that. And one should not forget that quality control of lenses is relatively straightforward: just put the lens on an optical bench. Quality control of, say, a car engine is comparatively complex for example.

tashley

Subscriber Member
This just makes me shake my head in disbelief.... 'Years to assemble a good stable of them' is a staggering statement of the complete lack of QC for those lenses. How many dealers did you burn bridges with? That's what made me just move on..... I didn't want B&H to ban me - you can only buy and return a lens so many times before finally someone says 'I don't want to do business with you'!! I hope the next iteration of the Sony camera is to your liking..... I expect that it will be somewhat of a show stopper.

Victor

I'm very lucky that my dealer knows that I know what I'm talking about and I have never had anything like a problem with a return other than once when I used a small mom'n'pop store locally and got a real dog of a lens and had to tell them my legal rights in no uncertain terms. But I now have a full cupboard of good copies, many of them the second, third or even fourth attempts. It really was a hassle but like I say the good copies are pretty damned good and very good value.

If you have a good dealer and can prove that the lenses don't work as they should, they will return them to the manufacturer. This is not out of the ordinary, or shouldn't be atleast. When the Canon 1D Mark II had those focusing issues, I was allowed to return is after 3 months without any issues. I've never had any issues with my HC lenses. or have I heard of anyone having to "find a good copy."

eleanorbrown

Another image X1D with 90 lens wide open at f 3.2 at iso 100. This lens has lovely bokeh I think.....and excellent color. Converted in LR. Eleanor

eleanorbrown

I too had been hoping for a system that would combine aspects of my Mamiy 7II and my Phase backs on my Hassy H2 with amazing HC lenses. The X1d seemed to fit the bill for me as best any camera system can, for me anyway. It's not perfect but no system is.....Eleanor

Very useful and balanced comments. Thanks. I expect the GFX to be a more complete and polished package upon release than the X1D was upon release. I completely share your desire for a digital camera system with the basic goodness of the Mamiya 7. Please see my reactions below.

Lol, It seems like the only issue with the X1D is that it comes with a cold, because I have been sick this weekend too. :ROTFL:

D&A

Maybe both your cameras were assembled by the same individual who had a cold that week and didn't fully cover their mouth when sneezing. Telltale sign...perchance, were any Kleenex tissues found in the X1Dbox? :)

Hope you both feel well soon (as well as other recent X1D owners too!). Everyone is looking forward to seeing more X1D images.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

vjbelle

Joe.... I'm amazed (though shouldn't be) at the contrast between your image and Howard's. Winter vs. Spring. The mid-south didn't see a winter this year. I have Daph's all over the place and Howard is freezing his butt off! Its just great to see that the Hasselblad Lenses are performing admirably. They really aren't all that expensive and shows that QC is improving. Its time to move beyond the back yard with your new camera.... the world is waiting:)

Victor

Nebster

Finally got to spend some time today, in nice weather, shooting the way I like to shoot most. A long walk, handheld, no particular place to go, big city (Sydney).

B0000151.jpg

Observations:

I'm getting many more keepers at a given shutter speed than with the D800e. I'd guess about a stop or 1.5 of improvement.

The 90mm lens is great. It's got a little vignetting at widest aperture, and it'll be nice when LR gets lens profiles for that and can map it out. But it's sharp corner to corner and has a good bit of contrast. I'd say it's a little better than my copy of the Zeiss 100/2 and not quite as good as the Zeiss 135/2.

I can't wait for a stabilized macro lens. The 90mm is nice and light (yay for not super-huge aperture), but I'd like a better repro ratio and another stop or two for handheld.

The auto-focus is pretty good. I mostly shoot these static macro-y things, so generally I prefer MF. But with fly-by-wire, it's not nearly as fast to rack the lens as a traditional lens, so AFing to get close is quicker, especially when moving from close-focused to more traditional focus distances. This will only be more annoying on a future macro lens, I'm sure, but it's okay.

I intentionally underexposed 3 stops for a few images, so that I could get the shutter speed up enough to avoid blur. I would say the Sony sensor feels a stop or so more malleable than the one in the D800e.

B0000122.jpg

In contrast, the power management is pretty abysmal. It's not just that it gets warm -- which it does -- but that it just plain sucks the battery dry, even when it goes into its orange light standby mode. I also made the mistake of putting it into my bag for a few minutes while in orange light mode (because it takes so long to start up otherwise), and it was super hot five minutes later when I pulled it out. I would not recommend doing this. The X1d team needs to figure out a way to power down more of the camera while in between shots.

I got about 2 hours out of one battery, and 80 images, with medium/average amounts of review. Since no batteries seem to be available for purchase, and there's no ship estimate, and we know Hasselblad is way slow, that pretty much means you're not using this camera in the field for a serious expedition for some time to come. But then I think how I can go a whole week of shooting on one Nikon battery, and I get wistful all over again. :(

The MF peaking and auto-ISO range capping are both nice to have. Still need a real, full-featured auto-ISO feature integrated with Av mode, but that'll surely come.

I also received the RRS L bracket. The bracket won't allow the SD card door to open if it's installed close in, but you can extend it and have a big gap (and a wider package) if you want access to the card door while shooting. Although it makes the whole thing a lot wider to do that, it does give you a second place to grab onto the camera when the regular grip gets tiring after a while.

I remain pretty happy with this camera. I think the EVF is fine, the controls are straightforward, and the kit is great for walking around and remaining fairly inconspicuous. I still suspect GFX will be the better camera for me, most of the time, but I have this sneaking feeling that I'm going to end up keeping both! (I always travel with two cameras anyway.)

JimKasson

Actually, it pretty much shows how insignificant SA in optics today. Just because you can measure something, does not mean it is significant.
If you focused the 90 'cron Apo wide open and exposed at f/4, you'd get about 1200 cy/ph.

If you focused the 90 'cron Apo at f/4 and exposed at f/4, you'd get about 1500 cy/ph.

The difference between 1500 and 1200 cy/ph is the difference between a lens that costs a few hundred dollars and one that can cost far more.

If you mount the 'cron Apo on a RF camera optimized for its best aperture and expose at f/2. you'll get about 700 cy/ph. That is pretty darned soft.

If you mount the 'cron Apo on a RF camera optimized for f/2 and expose at f/2. you'll get about 1100 cy/ph.

Significant? Yes, to some, in some circumstances.

Jim

vjbelle

Howard.... am curious if you have looked into diffraction at apertures such as f16. I'm familiar with the sensor as I owned a Leaf but was very careful to never shoot beyond f11. I realize that for print purposes this may not be much of an issue but any softening starts to become additive. OT.... I miss snow. Its 78 degrees here in Tennessee and we had no Winter. I'll be in Lofoten in about 3 weeks and it will be a welcome weather change.

Victor

hcubell

Howard.... am curious if you have looked into diffraction at apertures such as f16. I'm familiar with the sensor as I owned a Leaf but was very careful to never shoot beyond f11. I realize that for print purposes this may not be much of an issue but any softening starts to become additive. OT.... I miss snow. Its 78 degrees here in Tennessee and we had no Winter. I'll be in Lofoten in about 3 weeks and it will be a welcome weather change.

Victor
Victor, as you know well, there is a trade off between diffraction at f/11 or f/16 and the reduced depth of field that you get shooting at f/5.6 or f/8. I am just getting into it, but so far the X1D files seem to hold up very well at f/11 and f/16 using my preferred deconvolution sharpening software, Focus Magic. Many times, I do shoot two or three frames at different focus points at f/8 and blend them together.
Lofoten...wow, that's quite a change in temperature for you. What will you shoot with?

vjbelle

Howard.... first of all I am thrilled for you and everyone else for the initial high quality of the Hassy lenses. I think its a feather in their cap to come out with high quality lenses. I have used FM for years and years and its one of my preferred sharpening methods.... but nothing can bring back what has been lost by diffraction. Its just that FM does a better job working with whats left than many other choices so I continue to use it.

I will be shooting with my Actus and 7 Schneider Digitar lenses and a Phase 3100 in Lofoten. Its a really light setup but, just in case, I will also bring along my STC - I have three lenses in that mount that also work on the Actus (60mm, 100mm, 150mm). This is only because I feel that it will/could be very windy and the STC will be more forgiving in that environment and those focal lengths cover almost anything I shoot.

Cheers.....

Victor

hcubell

Howard.... first of all I am thrilled for you and everyone else for the initial high quality of the Hassy lenses. I think its a feather in their cap to come out with high quality lenses. I have used FM for years and years and its one of my preferred sharpening methods.... but nothing can bring back what has been lost by diffraction. Its just that FM does a better job working with whats left than many other choices so I continue to use it.

I will be shooting with my Actus and 7 Schneider Digitar lenses and a Phase 3100 in Lofoten. Its a really light setup but, just in case, I will also bring along my STC - I have three lenses in that mount that also work on the Actus (60mm, 100mm, 150mm). This is only because I feel that it will/could be very windy and the STC will be more forgiving in that environment and those focal lengths cover almost anything I shoot.

Cheers.....

Victor
Lofoten should be a terrific experience. Look forward to hearing about it. Take a look at Bruce Percy's website. He has a portfolio of Lofoten images. I love his aesthetic.
If it's just cold, I think you will be fine with the Actus, but how about driving snow with the Actus and the Digitar lenses? My H2 body died in Iceland and my IQ180 went wonky in driving rain after three days. That's a big part of my motivation to acquire the X1D or the GFX.

eleanorbrown

Only leaves and absolutely nothing special...This shot is to show the micro detail I'm getting with my 45mm lens (here at f8 and iso 100) on tripod. I'm just slowly getting more familiar with these lenses. I'm still working on the best way to sharpen, etc..... This fff Raw processed and sharpened in LR. Eleanor

(PS this is a 100 percent crop showing actual pixels at full magnification)