The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

Godfrey

Only leaves and absolutely nothing special...This shot is to show the micro detail I'm getting with my 45mm lens (here at f8 and iso 100) on tripod. I'm just slowly getting more familiar with these lenses. I'm still working on the best way to sharpen, etc..... This fff Raw processed and sharpened in LR. Eleanor

(PS this is a 100 percent crop showing actual pixels at full magnification)
Lovely photo, Eleanor! Very nice textures and colors!

G

vjbelle

Lofoten should be a terrific experience. Look forward to hearing about it. Take a look at Bruce Percy's website. He has a portfolio of Lofoten images. I love his aesthetic.
If it's just cold, I think you will be fine with the Actus, but how about driving snow with the Actus and the Digitar lenses? My H2 body died in Iceland and my IQ180 went wonky in driving rain after three days. That's a big part of my motivation to acquire the X1D or the GFX.
My wife and I travel with an arsenal of rain/snow protection gear including garbage bags (camera protection) and umbrellas. I shot in the Isle of Skye at the tail end of Hugo and that was a real experience and very challenging. I don't worry about shutters since I use the Phase ES exclusively so that eliminates any mechanical issues. I just don't want it to get below 30 degrees..... that's my cold comfort threshold.

I'm waiting until the GFX debuts before/if I pull the trigger on one of two releases. Who knows whats around the corner. Exciting times...

Victor

M

mjr

Victor

Cold weather is not an issue on Lofoten particularly, I was there last week and live a decent drive away, it is substantially warmer than where I live, last week I drove over the border between Sweden and Norway, it was -28c at the top, within 20 mins I was down at sea level and it was +5c, the whole week on Lofoten it was around 0c. The weather systems mean it stays fairly mild, I believe it's the Northernmost ice-free port for this reason, could be wrong though! Driving snow and strong wind can definitely be an issue although I had completely clear skies this time, last year I visited in early March and it was stormy and excellent! I took an XF, IQ260 and Cambo tech cam last year and even though it was very stormy, had no issues with any of the kit.

Enjoy your trip!

Mat

vjbelle

Mat.... in addition to clicking a 'thanks' I want to 'Really' thank you for the information. Its these small, large to me, things that contribute to this forum....

Thanks much.....

Victor

I'm starting to feel little better, so I ran out and was able to do a quick shot (we are not even calling this a portrait) for a mockup for a client before they head out of the country tomorrow am. I just needed a pic of him for a composite to show him when he gets back for ideas for a future shoot. So we shot this in two minutes. It's at 1600 ISO, quickly converted to B+W in Camera Raw. A few observations while shooting this. If you shoot in MF and use the back button got AF, you can use the focus peaking as a guide to see what's in focus after the AF is done, which is very helpful if you don't want to zoom in. I'm not sure how this works in AF modes, don;t know if peaking is completely disabled when it's in AF mode or just when you are actually AF'ing, forgot to try it. Also, shot with off camera flash remotely triggered. Worked well in manual flash mode. I was using the cheap Yongnuo RF603N II transmitter/receiver kit that I use with my panasonic GH4. Only took about 15 pics, but worked perfectly on every shot.

Attachments

D&A

Very nice image! Normally one would strive to eleminate shadows (realizing this was a quick trial shot), but in some ways, the shadow of the artist because it mirrors his profile, works in my opinion. Great to see posted X1D images.

Dave (D&A)

eleanorbrown

For me the shadow to the left is an important part of the composition of the image...balances things out nicely I think. eleanor

Very nice image! Normally one would strive to eleminate shadows (realizing this was a quick trial shot), but in some ways, the shadow of the artist because it mirrors his profile, works in my opinion. Great to see posted X1D images.

Dave (D&A)

hcubell

Like that one a lot, Howard, although I wish you could reframe it just slightly so as not to clip off the very bottom of the fence in the foreground.

G
Thanks, Godfrey. Very useful suggestion. I will check to see how I may have cropped it.

KeithL

Personally I'd crop to loose the gap between the fence and the edge of the frame. In other words have the leading line coming from the bottom left corner.

Godfrey

Godfrey:
Here is the recropped image. I agree it is an improvement.
Yes, I think so too.

There are so many ways to capture this scene that are slightly different and give a different effect ... backing up one-two steps and getting the fence more 'into' the scene, moving the camera point up a little and pointing down a little, etc etc.

But this is pleasing and it's your photo ... :cool:
I'll stop here.

thx!
G

hcubell

Yes, I think so too.

There are so many ways to capture this scene that are slightly different and give a different effect ... backing up one-two steps and getting the fence more 'into' the scene, moving the camera point up a little and pointing down a little, etc etc.

But this is pleasing and it's your photo ... :cool:
I'll stop here.

thx!
G
Yes , thanks, Godfrey. I didn't spend nearly as much time with it as I normally would with an image that I really liked. It generally takes me some time to figure out what I really like. [G] Keith's idea is also an interesting cropping alternative.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Keith's idea is also an interesting cropping alternative.
I like it as the fence line will start the line but it also cleans up the trees on the horizon. I tend to fret about
partial tree branches entering from the side of a view ... would rather have the tree cropped in the frame ... perhaps 50% ...
rather than branches just appearing from out of it.

Yes a bit OCD I know I know I know ...

Bob